TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillblue

• Nov 14, 2021
    Hi everyone. hope someone can help. Last year I applied to Eversheds for a Training Contract, not for a vacation scheme, as time didnt allow. I got a response back to say they were impressed with my application form but had filled all spaces from the vacation scheme. They said to apply this year. Now I am applying for the vacation scheme, my question is , the strength questions are the same as they were last year, my answers were strong last year, do I submit the same application or shall I change at least one of the answers as I did manage to get on a vacation scheme and may be able to incorporate what I learnt from that? Do they look at previous applications, they will know I have applied before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and good luck everyone !!

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    How should I structure my answer to this question? Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. Why is inclusion important to the success of Taylor Wessing? (250 words max) *

I was thinking about writing about all the firm's different clients and how they come from a wide range of countries and backgrounds, giving specific examples, and saying that it is important to be inclusive because studies show that clients feel more comfortable and secure with a lawyer that can relate to them. Is this way off or could I write this? What else could I include?

Last edited:

mckelly

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 19, 2020
    Hi, if you don't mind me asking - did they tell you they were giving you an article prior? or do they just give it to you during the interview? and is it a discussion just regarding your thoughts or is it more analytical/like a case study type of thing?

Many thanks
    Yes - they emailed to confirm the interview format. I believe you're sent the actual article on the day of the interview about 15 minutes prior to schedule start for you to read and synthesis what you believe is important

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    In response to the question Please outline your most significant achievement to date and how this was achieved? The example you choose can be from within or outside your academic career. would saying my most significant achievement is "persisting with mooting despite working alone and losing my first moot"? I see this as a huge achievement for me, but I just don;t know how to word it to make it clearer. Any advice is much appreciated !
    I think this example is better suited for a question that asks you about a time when you failed or were unsuccessful and kept yourself going. The way this question is phrased, one possible structure for your answer if you want to use the mooting example is to think of it is as a goal you wanted to achieve and how you achieved it. So if you begin by stating what your achievement was (for eg. won/placed at XYZ moot) ➡️ what prompted you set your sight on achieving this goal➡️ what steps did you take and challenges did you face in achieving your goal ➡️ what was the result and ➡️ why is this your most significant achievement.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Adrian_S

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone. hope someone can help. Last year I applied to Eversheds for a Training Contract, not for a vacation scheme, as time didnt allow. I got a response back to say they were impressed with my application form but had filled all spaces from the vacation scheme. They said to apply this year. Now I am applying for the vacation scheme, my question is , the strength questions are the same as they were last year, my answers were strong last year, do I submit the same application or shall I change at least one of the answers as I did manage to get on a vacation scheme and may be able to incorporate what I learnt from that? Do they look at previous applications, they will know I have applied before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and good luck everyone !!
    There probably may be a way for them to know that you applied before, whether or not they actually check that is hard to determine for me and @Jessica Booker may be better placed to help with this. However, definitely make changes and additions if you feel you have grown and there is more to add! Don't leave any significant details out (like your vac scheme experience!) just because last year's answers were pretty strong as is- there's always room to improve and strengthen an answer even further!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    How should I structure my answer to this question? Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. Why is inclusion important to the success of Taylor Wessing? (250 words max) *

I was thinking about writing about all the firm's different clients and how they come from a wide range of countries and backgrounds, giving specific examples, and saying that it is important to be inclusive because studies show that clients feel more comfortable and secure with a lawyer that can relate to them. Is this way off or could I write this? What else could I include?
    I think you have the right instinct- you just need to structure and link examples in your answers together well.

Think about how inclusion is at the heart of everything the firm does- look at their business strategy, clients, hiring, D&I programs etc.

Then find the link between their efforts towards inclusion and ➡️ their success. Bring in the client studies, any D&I stats, awards, rankings, recognition for inclusion strategies to bring out this link.

I hope this helps!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Adrian_S

chillblue

• Nov 14, 2021
    There probably may be a way for them to know that you applied before, whether or not they actually check that is hard to determine for me and @Jessica Booker may be better placed to help with this. However, definitely make changes and additions if you feel you have grown and there is more to add! Don't leave any significant details out (like your vac scheme experience!) just because last year's answers were pretty strong as is- there's always room to improve and strengthen an answer even further!
    Thank you !! will do

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    I really want to join Legal Cheek x Hogan Lovells event on Wednesday, 19 October but am unable to. Is anyone joining willing to share notes with me? Please send me a private message if you're happy to do this. Would be greatly appreciated!! I'm happy to share any notes I took at events I've attended as well

Donuttime

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 17, 2021
    So confused whether NRF screens app before sending psychometric test or not? I completed the application in September whereas ppl who completed on the deadline are getting sent the test the next day.

could they possibly be going in reverse order? Or have I just not made the cut? I

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    So confused whether NRF screens app before sending psychometric test or not? I completed the application in September whereas ppl who completed on the deadline are getting sent the test the next day.

could they possibly be going in reverse order? Or have I just not made the cut? I
    From this forum, I guess NRF's test is not automatic, which means there must be some kind of screening before sending the test invitations. Maybe they're still sending invitations out?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.