TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

aishaalexandra

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 3, 2022
For Taylor Wessing’s work experience section, does anyone know if we can repeat skills for different experiences? I want to use attention to detail (as one of my three skills) for two separate jobs, and would write about different aspects of this. Thanks
I definitely did and it wasn't penalised. I would say mention other things also though

Dib312

Standard Member
Sep 27, 2022
Hi! With the NRF cover letter - it doesn’t specify that you need to say your motivations for a career in commercial law. Would it be okay to write about this briefly, and then move onto why the firm and the qualities that you have? Thank you ☺️☺️

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hi! With the NRF cover letter - it doesn’t specify that you need to say your motivations for a career in commercial law. Would it be okay to write about this briefly, and then move onto why the firm and the qualities that you have? Thank you ☺️☺️
    Hi, with NRF, the cover letter is the key thing they use to progress candidates and it’s also used in the VS/TC interviews by the partners to help guide their questions. I think it’s valuable to grad rec and the partners to see your clear motivations to go into corporate law. I wouldn’t say it has to take up much of your application but definitely good to dedicate at least a paragraph on it especially as you have 800 words. The way I structures it was one paragraph for why law/commercial law, why the firm and then why me. This helped give the cover letter a nice flow but also kept it focused and allowed me to cover all bases!

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Hi, with NRF, the cover letter is the key thing they use to progress candidates and it’s also used in the VS/TC interviews by the partners to help guide their questions. I think it’s valuable to grad rec and the partners to see your clear motivations to go into corporate law. I wouldn’t say it has to take up much of your application but definitely good to dedicate at least a paragraph on it especially as you have 800 words. The way I structures it was one paragraph for why law/commercial law, why the firm and then why me. This helped give the cover letter a nice flow but also kept it focused and allowed me to cover all bases!
    @Dib312

Ditto, I was successful in securing a vac scheme with NRF, using this same structure. As thirdtimelucky says, why commercial law/law helps to set the scene, in what is a generous word count you are given for the NRF cover letter.

Good luck!!

• Love
    Reactions: Dib312

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Does anyone know how to withdraw an application on Vantage? My laptop froze, I pushed all sorts of buttons and sent an application by mistake.
    I sent a blank application and would destroy me to lose all my efforts.

Last edited:

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Does anyone know how to withdraw an application on Vantage? My laptop froze, I pushed all sorts of buttons and sent an application by mistake.

Definitely send grad recruitment an email and inform them of what happened. This happened to me and the firm withdrew my application and permitted me to submit at a later date. Good luck!

• Love
    Reactions: S87

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    I think it's around 8 or 9? That's just a guess though from knowing that around 18 people got AC (last year anyway). I might be completely wrong though!!!
    Idk, that doesn’t seem right whatsoever.
    I know this year for the winter VS, they have 3 ACs and 10 candidates each have been invited to them which equals 30. And they also hold a spring and summer VS and altogether they give out 60 TCs so in my opinion, 8/9 doesn’t seem right.
    Sorry about the maths, being nervous makes me get into a very mathematical mindset.😂😂

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Really sorry this is my third time asking this but was just wondering if anyone has gotten a watson glaser invite for Hogan Lovells Lift Off?

I applied one day before the deadline a week ago and I still haven't got a WG invite and not sure if it's a glitch
    I didn't apply for this, but have you tried emailing grad rec?

Reactions: average_jo123

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Anyone done an interview with Shearman? Mine is tomorrow and I'd really appreciate some hints/tips/insight!!!

This was on the TCLA interview experiences thread ^^

• 🤝
    Reactions: tkwillbealawyer

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Idk, that doesn’t seem right whatsoever.
    I know this year for the winter VS, they have 3 ACs and 10 candidates each have been invited to them which equals 30. And they also hold a spring and summer VS and altogether they give out 60 TCs so in my opinion, 8/9 doesn’t seem right.
    Sorry about the maths, being nervous makes me get into a very mathematical mindset.😂😂
    Only offering 1 in 3 candidates at AC stage is quite normal.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hi guys. this might sound like a stupid question but - what should i wear to a commercial awareness workshop ? it’s just at my uni but there will be a partner from slaughter and may there. i don’t know if i should wear like a suit or just dress smart casual ?? pls help me out haha the workshop is tomorrow 🥲😫
    Smart casual will be fine - I wouldn’t go suited and booted as it’s on campus.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.