Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone
I am wondering if it would be easier to get into a non-London firm given that it might be less competitive?

Ideally, i really want to work in London. But i might also apply for firms in Leeds/Manchester because i think it might be easier to get a job? but i do really want to work in london so i don’t know

what do you suggest?
I think it may seem like Northern offices have less competition, and it may true in some senses, but given that they generally have fewer places, the competition may end up being proportionally similar. Plus, I'm unsure how well your motivation to apply to a Northern office only to move to London would be looked at as it shows a lack of commitment on your part.

If you do end up applying, I would highlight the practice and deal focuses of the office you're applying to and find the reasons why the cities you've mentioned would be good for your career instead of highlighting your desire to move to London after/during your TC.

N_16

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 11, 2022
Has anyone else not heard anything from White & Case (since applying - no VI offer or rejection yet) and Shearman & Sterling (since submitting the application back in October) I have been tempted to email Grad Rec but don't want to come across as impatient. However it seems like most people have now heard, so just wondering if anyone else was in the same situation?

Adamses2366

Standard Member
Aug 22, 2021
Hi, I have a question. I won couple of module prizes during my LLB. When I am filling in application forms, should I list them in the 'further information about your undergradaute degree' section and then refer to them more generally in the application questions (e.g. my academic successes demonstrate ...), or list them in the application questions themselves?

refy

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 19, 2021
Has anyone else not heard anything from White & Case (since applying - no VI offer or rejection yet) and Shearman & Sterling (since submitting the application back in October) I have been tempted to email Grad Rec but don't want to come across as impatient. However it seems like most people have now heard, so just wondering if anyone else was in the same situation?

I'm in the same position with both - I emailed W&C and they said they're busy reviewing apps. With Shearman I have no idea!

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
Havent heard from Shearman, I applied day before the deadline.

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    I have not received anything and was a part of their first year scheme soooo... I assume it may be a PFO lol.

Nevermind, I just saw that other people haven't heard back and said the GR have not review all apps.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I have a question. I won couple of module prizes during my LLB. When I am filling in application forms, should I list them in the 'further information about your undergradaute degree' section and then refer to them more generally in the application questions (e.g. my academic successes demonstrate ...), or list them in the application questions themselves?
    The extra information section in an educational section sounds like a good place to include such detail, but I have seen plenty of others put such information in elsewhere. They will often be included in "prize, awards and scholarships" questions, or people reference them particularly when the module subject aligns with their motivations for applying for the firm

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I had my interview a week ago (last Monday), and am waiting to hear back but I have another WVS offer already and the deadline for signing is Friday. Idk what to do if I dont hear back tomorrow/wednesday, and it's even stickier if I do get the Shearman WVS after signing for the other one!
    I would contact the firm and speak to them by explaining you need to decide on another WVS by the end of week, and therefore is there any chance they can update you ahead of then.

• 🤝
    Reactions: tkwillbealawyer

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022
    Hi - hope everyone is well! Was wondering if anyone had heard back from these firms yet RE *Open Days*? And if so, which ones and when? Or if you have any information about when we're likely to hear back.
    - White & Case
    - Kirkland & Ellis
    - Cooley
    - Dechert
    - Latham & Watkins
    Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Latham for their open day on 23rd November?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.