TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
Hi guys,

On the part of the Gibson Dunn application where students are asked to write a cover letter (with a maximum length of 650 words), the page contains the following message:

Please write a cover letter. You should include some of the following areas: what attracts you to Gibson Dunn; why you want to become a solicitor; an outstanding personal achievement which added value to either your academic or working environment; details of any prizes, scholarships, interests, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements that will support your application.

Reasoning from first principles, do you think it'd probably be alright (or even preferable, as the case may be) for me to try to cover all of the areas mentioned within the question (especially bearing in mind that the word limit's quite high!)?

@Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

On the part of the Gibson Dunn application where students are asked to write a cover letter (with a maximum length of 650 words), the page contains the following message:

Please write a cover letter. You should include some of the following areas: what attracts you to Gibson Dunn; why you want to become a solicitor; an outstanding personal achievement which added value to either your academic or working environment; details of any prizes, scholarships, interests, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements that will support your application.

Reasoning from first principles, do you think it'd probably be alright (or even preferable, as the case may be) for me to try to cover all of the areas mentioned within the question (especially bearing in mind that the word limit's quite high!)?

@Jessica Booker
I don’t think you have to cover all of the areas - some people will want to invest more of the word count into specific aspects of the subs categories - so I don’t think it is an issue if you miss some, especially where you might not have any evidence (eg scholarships/prizes etc).

Reactions: pfoapplicant

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
I don’t think you have to cover all of the areas - some people will want to invest more of the word count into specific aspects of the subs categories - so I don’t think it is an issue if you miss some, especially where you might not have any evidence (eg scholarships/prizes etc).
:) Thanks! What I meant to say was that if "prizes, scholarships, interests, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements" was taken as one big area, then do you think it's likely that it would be wise to cover at least something from this area (e.g. mention a scholarship, or perhaps mention a position of responsibility), along with mentioning something from the other three areas (i.e. 1. why Gibson Dunn; 2. why solicitor; 3. outstanding personal achievement)?

Highnumberofapplicants

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 18, 2021
    Directly from Kirsten Davies (Recruitment Manager at S&C): "Candidates should write a punchy letter of motivation, no more than one side of A4"

Hope that helps!
    My application got put on hold (apparently that's a good thing); my cover letter was 398 words with everything included!
    Thank you so much, this was all really helpful!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: WindowsUpdate
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.