TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2021
Weighing my options between applying to Bird & Bird's Spring or Summer VS. They are rolling and the deadline for Spring is this Friday, so Summer would be safer. But I'd really rather do a Spring VS...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Weighing my options between applying to Bird & Bird's Spring or Summer VS. They are rolling and the deadline for Spring is this Friday, so Summer would be safer. But I'd really rather do a Spring VS...
I'd apply for Spring. I don't think your chances will be any different whether you applied to either programme.

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD and PirateShip

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2021
I'd apply for Spring. I don't think your chances will be any different whether you applied to either programme.
Okay, that's good to know. Thanks!

However, if that is the case, am I correct in assuming rolling basis is more a means of encouraging a steadier stream of applications? I'm curious why firms would state they are on a rolling basis if it makes little impact on their decision making.

jomar

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2022
I am so confused. For Linklaters do they not ask for any work experience or motivation questions for their Spring Scheme? I just "submitted my app" and am on this 75 min test and nothing!? Can someone confirm I did not mess something up?

Reactions: traineedreamer

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Anybody that has any experience with the Freshfields case study at AC stage...

Do you get asked questions regarding contract or company law in the context of that particular case study? I'm just wondering whether I should have a glance over contract notes.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Okay, that's good to know. Thanks!

However, if that is the case, am I correct in assuming rolling basis is more a means of encouraging a steadier stream of applications? I'm curious why firms would state they are on a rolling basis if it makes little impact on their decision making.
    It doesn’t impact how they make a decision, just when. And that can be earlier if it is rolling recruitment. Many firms do rolling recruitment to stop losing talent to other firms.

Reactions: PirateShip

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Anybody that has any experience with the Freshfields case study at AC stage...

Do you get asked questions regarding contract or company law in the context of that particular case study? I'm just wondering whether I should have a glance over contract notes.
    It’s usually not a case study, but an article interview (unless they have changed it recently).

Reactions: cyberjaz1116 and sxw517

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am so confused. For Linklaters do they not ask for any work experience or motivation questions for their Spring Scheme? I just "submitted my app" and am on this 75 min test and nothing!? Can someone confirm I did not mess something up?
    That is their process. You complete the application if you pass their assessments.

Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You're right - it isn't quite a case study, but an FT or Economist article
    From experience, you don’t really have to know the technicalities of the law in these article interviews. They tend to be much more focused on your commercial analysis of the topic. You might get asked what legal solutions could be applied to something mentioned in the topic, but a lot do this is more common sense/basic commercial awareness rather than the very specific technicalities of the law.

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    Did you get an overall result after the test? I just got a report showing personality strengths/weaknesses, and I think they then compare those to personalities that typically succeed at the firm, but I don't know if it's in terms of a benchmark or what the ideal profile would be.
    thanks for replying, yeah so I got a feedback report and basically most of my areas were in the middle. It says at the beginning that most people get the middle green dot and that it doesn't reflect badly on you if you do? Then I had two which were the lower dot, and two which were the higher one. WBU?
    I'm assuming just from browsing the forum that you should be getting the higher dot so above the average? I am just confused as to how you would get the higher one on so many categories. I just tried to be measured and patient when I sat the test so I don't know how I would have improved if I were to take it again.....

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.