TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uvaia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jul 31, 2022
    So, I submitted an application for Mayer Brown's vacation scheme yesterday. Today I received an email from them inviting me to do a Situational Strengths Test and a Verbal Reasoning Test. Does anyone know if the tests are stage 2 of the process or do they only assess my application if I pass the tests?

B A

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 4, 2020
    So, I submitted an application for Mayer Brown's vacation scheme yesterday. Today I received an email from them inviting me to do a Situational Strengths Test and a Verbal Reasoning Test. Does anyone know if the tests are stage 2 of the process or do they only assess my application if I pass the tests?
    Pretty sure they look at both together

Reactions: Uvaia and Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    The test is sent automatically

Reactions: Uvaia

Phoebe Turner

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 16, 2020
    Hi I’m just really after some advice.

I really feel at a loss with what I’m doing wrong with my applications. I’ve sent out about 7 applications, starting with winter vacation schemes a few months ago and now some summer, but I have been rejected from everything. I cannot get past the application stage. I passed the benchmark for HSF, and I got invited to Gowling’s online test, so I passed the written portion - just to then just get rejected by both with no indication as to why. I have a first-class from a Russel group, and although I’m non-law I secured a role in a law firm so I also have law experience. I was on committees and sports teams at university and have had transferable work experience for like 7 years now. I attended webinars from the firms and the open days that I can.
    I’d hope I’d come across quite well on paper, but it seems not.

I know it’s a super long process but I’m worried I’m going to exhaust all my efforts this year and not even get out of the application stages. Does anyone have tips on getting out of the application stage or similar stories to share? Just feeling defeated after another rejection
    I don't have any advice but know how you feel and relate 100%. The hardest part is having no idea where you're falling down. My applications this year are miles better, I have way more work experience, and I've got a first class RG degree now, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I've researched a lot more and know much more about commercial law and awareness now and my applications are more tailored, specific, and justified. I don't feel like it's helped though!

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Anyone know what the NRF arctic shores test involves? Is it just an SJT?
    It's basically just a bunch of games designed to test different aspects of your personality. Early Recruitment said that they progress people if they get high scores on Arctic Shores or the Watson Glaser or both.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Adrian_S

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    Just got a PFO from A&O. Has anyone else ever received a rejection email after midnight? Seems a bit odd. Although maybe it's to do with their website being down earlier.
    I think the emails come much later after you have been rejected and may come at all times, even on weekends. If you log in on your portal, it’s likely it will show that your status changed to rejected a few days ago. I am talking from past experience as last year I got the rejection email on Christmas Eve, but was actually rejected on the 20th 😅

Reactions: B A

rose888

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 19, 2021
    Just got a PFO from A&O. Has anyone else ever received a rejection email after midnight? Seems a bit odd. Although maybe it's to do with their website being down earlier.
    Sorry to hear this! Was this for the vac scheme and do you mind me asking when you applied?

aishaslm

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 15, 2022
    How long does it take to hear back from Hogan Lovells with a WG invite after submitting the initial application form? Also, did anyone receive an acknowledgement email that they received your application form? Thanks x

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.