Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey @Jessica Booker, I wonder if you could share your thoughts on this when answering 'Why commercial law' questions.

I have a decade of experience within the policing sphere, which gives me loads of great examples to talk about in questions. However, with the commercial law question, I feel like firms may be thinking why doesn't this person want to work at the bar? When I started the journey of a career change, this was the initial route I wanted but then my research led me to commercial law because the career appeals to me more for so many reasons.

Would explaining this journey and my reasons for deciding commercial law instead of the bar make my application seem authentic? Or should I steer clear from mentioning the bar at all? Interested to know your thoughts!
It sounds like it will be authentic (I am assuming because it is!). I think if you need to explain originally considering the bar, then a very brief reference to it is fine (I just wouldn’t labour it) and then I would focus on why commercial law appeals, rather than why the bar doesn’t.

bhbuygu

Valued Member
  • Dec 23, 2022
    Hi, for the Hogan Lovells VS application there is an optional section where you can include 250 words on ‘Anything else you would like us to know.’ This is included in the competency section of the application. Should I discuss anything in specific here? I’ve basically included everything I want to mention on my Work Experience section, so I’m not sure what else to include. Should I leave it blank if its optional? If others could give me any ideas I’d really appreciate it!

tofu

Premium Member
    Dec 19, 2022
    Has anyone heard back from CMS post video interview - I know some people have received AC invites but... why are they taking so long?? I wanna hear back already?
    may i know how long after the WG did you receive notification for the video interview? i've completed the the WG and am waiting for the VI :/ thank you!

LJ

Distinguished Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    It sounds like it will be authentic (I am assuming because it is!). I think if you need to explain originally considering the bar, then a very brief reference to it is fine (I just wouldn’t labour it) and then I would focus on why commercial law appeals, rather than why the bar doesn’t.
    Thank you very much, Jessica. I really appreciate your help.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, for the Hogan Lovells VS application there is an optional section where you can include 250 words on ‘Anything else you would like us to know.’ This is included in the competency section of the application. Should I discuss anything in specific here? I’ve basically included everything I want to mention on my Work Experience section, so I’m not sure what else to include. Should I leave it blank if its optional? If others could give me any ideas I’d really appreciate it!
    Hi, for the Hogan Lovells VS application there is an optional section where you can include 250 words on ‘Anything else you would like us to know.’ This is included in the competency section of the application. Should I discuss anything in specific here? I’ve basically included everything I want to mention on my Work Experience section, so I’m not sure what else to include. Should I leave it blank if it’s optional? If others could give me any ideas I’d really appreciate it!
    Just some of the things that get covered in this question:

- why the firm/why commercial law (as this isn’t covered elsewhere)
    - mitigating circumstances
    - extra curriculars
    - achievements that don’t fit into the competency questions

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    It is tricky (and why these questions sometimes don't work as a simple yes/no answer).

Ultimately the question can be interpreted in multiple ways, including whether you have the right to work now. Given that, I would actually put yes, especially given there is a strong chance you will have settled status anyway.
    Thanks Jessica for your sharing your perspective!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.