TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Did you both have in the rejection email that we suggest you get your application reviewed by a qualified person or something like that.
    Maybe Skadden have a paid partnership with TCLA for their app review service haha! (I joke)

I wouldn't read into it too much, to me it seems pretty innocuous.

AK001

Star Member
    Oct 12, 2020
    Has anyone who applied to Skadden in late November/early December heard anything? I applied on the 04/12/22 but haven't heard anything yet. Not sure if they're sending PFOs and TI invites all at once or if they're splitting it. I'm thinking it'll most likely be a PFO

• 🤝
    Reactions: futuretrainee202X

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Hi,

This question is for Jessica or anyone else who might have information.

I am currently deep into exam season and have been invited to complete WG tests and VI’s. However, due to how busy I am I tend to leave these for last day or the day before they are due.

Do you think there is benefit in completing the tests and VI’s as soon as you receive them instead of waiting the 5 days you normally get. I ask this because it may also be possible that during the 5 days I wait, others have completed the test/VI and move on to the AC stage.

Or do you think they do it in batches so they wait around 5-7 days and choose from there.

I know this is a long winded question but any help would be useful.

ScoUting

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jul 20, 2021
    Hello! How would you word why you chose not to go into immigration law after an experience on an application? I want to say that it was too emotional but it seems too negative at the application stage. I mainly didn't want to go in because it was frustrating to work with legal aid, emotionally challenging, and felt like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. Not sure how to make it less negative.

D

daisy_yawn

Has anyone who applied to Skadden in late November/early December heard anything? I applied on the 04/12/22 but haven't heard anything yet. Not sure if they're sending PFOs and TI invites all at once or if they're splitting it. I'm thinking it'll most likely be a PFO
    I applied 13th and haven't heard anything yet!

• 🤝
    Reactions: HLL

eash manzar

• Dec 28, 2022
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice. I am a third year law student, and I feel like I have zero chance to secure a summer vacation scheme this year. Although, I had planned and envisioned it for myself, I did not put in much effort to get fully immersed into preparing for applications and developing my commercial awareness during the autumn term. I know that I only have myself to blame for this but I think the reason I have found myself in this spot is because I wasn't fully convinced that commercial law was the career route I definitely wanted to take. However, I am much surer now but I feel like I am inexperienced and extremely underprepared for applications. I have not managed to complete the work experience I initially planned for myself nor have I researched my top choice firms in much detail and I also have not completed any virtual schemes/commercial awareness programmes. I feel super defeated and disappointed with myself but I just can't let this application season completely go to waste so I think I will still attempt to submit at least 3 applications (even though they'll be of poor quality) to the firms I was interested in whose deadlines still remain open. I would really appreciate some advice on whether the experience I'll talk about will even be worth mentioning in the applications. This is all I've got at the moment:

- Shadowed a sheriff (2019) for 2 days
    - Involved in university mooting (got to the finals of a competition which took place in the Supreme court before Lord President Reid)
    - Worked as a retail assistant
    - Worked many different roles in a busy dessert shop
    - Attended the law virtual fair (informative talks, brief networking)

Although, I have a much more dedicated plan for the next application season which I'm aiming to actually follow through on, I was wondering whether I'd have at least a slim chance to secure a summer vacation scheme? Any help and guidance would be appreciated, thank you.

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Hello! How would you word why you chose not to go into immigration law after an experience on an application? I want to say that it was too emotional but it seems too negative at the application stage. I mainly didn't want to go in because it was frustrating to work with legal aid, emotionally challenging, and felt like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. Not sure how to make it less negative.
    I would maybe say how the work was not as stimulating in comparison to your commercial law experiences. Maybe it was too rigid or robotic and not as fast paced etc.

Sachin Chandra

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 16, 2020
    Anyone used Practice Aptitude's WG tests? are they useful?
    Yes I've used this site before. It's useful in the sense it gives you more questions to test yourself rigorously but imo its too easy. Before I had done any learning of the theory behind WG I was consistently getting 80/90%. Use Job Test Prep and TCLA's course on Watson Glaser. Then use Practice Aptitude Tests and other free test sites to practice > optimum preparation over a month or two and you will nail it every time

Reactions: Ali A

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022
    The wait is too suspenseful honestly

• 🤝
    Reactions: HLL

GOI983

Esteemed Member
    Sep 15, 2021
    I applied around mid December and got my TI invite on the 31st of December

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi,

This question is for Jessica or anyone else who might have information.

I am currently deep into exam season and have been invited to complete WG tests and VI’s. However, due to how busy I am I tend to leave these for last day or the day before they are due.

Do you think there is benefit in completing the tests and VI’s as soon as you receive them instead of waiting the 5 days you normally get. I ask this because it may also be possible that during the 5 days I wait, others have completed the test/VI and move on to the AC stage.

Or do you think they do it in batches so they wait around 5-7 days and choose from there.

I know this is a long winded question but any help would be useful.
    There is no benefit from a recruitment perspective.

The only benefit is that doing it earlier typically means you are doing it when you want to do it, not when you have to do it. And you will probably be more mentally fresh if that is the case. Many candidates leave such assessments until after a long day of studying/working etc, and you probably want to avoid this. Doing it when you are mentally fresh is likely to improve some fine margins that if you do it when you are mentally tired.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.