Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi Avni,

Thank you for your response and I’ve not found any information on this ‘research-based’ case study, which is adding to my nervous aha. I assume it will be something to do with finding information. Thank you for adding some links to your comment. This would really help me in my preparation.
@FutureLawyer99 I'd email graduate recruitment for some clarification on what they mean by research-based case study and if they could elaborate a bit on it but if you don't get the information you're looking for, I'd try to not obsess over the term/structure they've used and instead focus on what they're looking to test you on.

Generally, the point of a case study is to 1) see if you're able to process information swiftly 2) present your findings in a structured and logical manner and 3) justify your reasoning behind the solutions you suggest and/or your ability to decide when to pivot to another solution if you're presented with new information/challenged.

These points are best mastered through practice so try a few scenarios or use do a mock interview here at TCLA or if you're at uni, with your careers counsellor, or with whomever you trust and I think you should be just fine. Wishing you the best!

sdsou

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 31, 2021
Hi all, just a quick question: if it says the deadline is "Midnight on 5th January" does that mean 23:59 on 5th January or 00:00 on 5th January (i.e., 23:59 on 4th January)? Bit confused here and would appreciate any guidance, thank you!

lolamcd1

Esteemed Member
Feb 1, 2022
Hi, sorry an unrelated question but feeling quite stuck at the minute! Am applying for training contracts. Currently a paralegal at a boutique firm and have been there for five months. I’m not enjoying the area of law or the firm and finding it hard to find motivation to go to work. Is leaving a job after six months seen as job hopping or looked down upon in TC applications? I want to begin looking for other opportunities where I will feel more challenged and satisfied but don’t want to appear as though I’m moving too quickly. Thanks would really be grateful for any advice as it’s getting me quite down at the minute

Elsa3.1415

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2021
Hi everyone!

Question for the Ashurst application form: there is a box in the work experience section "Other Experience (1000 words max)". The 4 other work experiences have only 150 words for providing details.

Would you advise taking the whole 1000 words to describe experiences? could it include positions of responsibility in students associations? is it possible to use that space to give more detail about one of the experience described in one of the four spaces above?

Because the rest of the application questions is 1350 words total, I feel like writing an additional 1000 words for experiences is just suuuuper long for grad rec to read.... How will it be perceived if I use all the word count but don't actually have so much long and serious experiences to talk about, and instead go in details with examples of achievements and praise received ?

aishaalexandra

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 3, 2022
Hi, sorry an unrelated question but feeling quite stuck at the minute! Am applying for training contracts. Currently a paralegal at a boutique firm and have been there for five months. I’m not enjoying the area of law or the firm and finding it hard to find motivation to go to work. Is leaving a job after six months seen as job hopping or looked down upon in TC applications? I want to begin looking for other opportunities where I will feel more challenged and satisfied but don’t want to appear as though I’m moving too quickly. Thanks would really be grateful for any advice as it’s getting me quite down at the minute
Definitely not! Most entry paralegal positions are 6-12 months ftc anyway! If you have a good reason where it has clarified your career objectives for you it can even be seen as a plus IMO. As it demonstrates you are clear about what you enjoy and that you are looking for new challenges!

Hi, I was in the same position as you but decided to stick it out for a year, my reasons for this were 1) within the first three months I was applying for jobs with not a lot of luck, 2) decided to stick to the devil I knew until I finished the LPC, then re-started the job hunt. In terms of TC apps, my recommendation would be unless it is really bad try and land a new paralegal job before quitting then there is no gap in your CV. Then as long as you have your narrative of why you left you’ll be fine, grad rec and partners know that many paralegals job hop. Your story could literally be as simple as you wanted to try out another practice area.

Reactions: futuretrainee202X

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
Just to confirm, there is no word count for Morrison Foerster's application questions? What do you recommend for questions such as why law and why the firm, and news story that interested you?

futurecitylawyer00

Mar 3, 2022
Each question is 2000 characters with spaces.

How do you feel your skills and attributes would suit a legal career at AG?

What makes AG stand out from other commercial law firms?

Tell us about a recent business deal in the press that has captured your interest? How might this impact AG and our clients?

Given the Government’s commitment to be Net Zero by 2050, please provide three suggestions on how commercial law firms like AG can support and contributes towards this goal?

Is there any additional information you would like to disclose for us to consider alongside your application?
Hello Jessica,

Thank you for this.

I am applying today, and I am wondering, in light of the third question, whether we would be able to talk about a fact or an announcement on the news that might impact the firm's clients, hence not necessarily a deal. I cannot think of a recent M&A deal this big that might impact law firms. What do you think?

Thank you in advance.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
So am i the only one who still has not secured a vacation scheme yet?! I'm feeling pretty bad about it and nervous cause like if this doesn't work out I have no idea what I'm going to do cause with this whole cost of living crisis and the recession... it's not looking good bruv :confused:
I get I can just reapply in my third year but I really just want to secure my TC offer before third year so I can just focus on getting a first.
Definitely not the case at all! LinkedIn is full of people having 7 TC offers in second year, but I was 28 before I got VS and subsequent TC offers. I graduated at 24. It’ll happen when it happens and the average trainee age is older than 22 anyway!

yasmars

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Hi all, just a quick question: if it says the deadline is "Midnight on 5th January" does that mean 23:59 on 5th January or 00:00 on 5th January (i.e., 23:59 on 4th January)? Bit confused here and would appreciate any guidance, thank you!
If this is for Freshfields, it’s 23:59 on 5th Jan per their instagram

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello Jessica,

Thank you for this.

I am applying today, and I am wondering, in light of the third question, whether we would be able to talk about a fact or an announcement on the news that might impact the firm's clients, hence not necessarily a deal. I cannot think of a recent M&A deal this big that might impact law firms. What do you think?

Thank you in advance.
I would ensure it is a deal rather than a general trend/announcement to ensure it answers the question.

The deal does not have to transform law firms, it could just be that it impacts their competitors or changes the landscape of the sector that the firm's clients work in. That is enough for in that it could impact the firm. There could also be novel ways the deal is structured too. Alternatively the deal could showcase a particular trend that is then impacting the firm.

Reactions: law23

Mkhfa

Standard Member
Feb 19, 2021
Is it still worth applying to Addleshaw Goddard for a VS, given they seem to recruit on a rolling basis, or should I save my application for a direct TC? (nb. I have not started my application yet, as I have only recently discovered the firm, but they seem to fit what I am looking for very well!)
Hey! Did you end up applying? I'm on the same boat considering the application deadline is tomorrow.

lawyering

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 29, 2020
Does anyone have any insight into Dentons’ new process? It seems like they have replaced the WG with a new test + VI questions, and the stage after that is another VI (not a telephone interview)?

• Wow
Reactions: Asil Ahmad

aishaalexandra

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 3, 2022
Nearing the end of a deadline, please please can someone give advice on what the numerical side of the Simmons & Simmons assessment is like? Kind of nervous as I really don't do well with numbers so would be great to at least be a little prepared. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.