TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

avyanka09

Standard Member
Sep 23, 2022
Hey, I had the same experience, the vast majority was mid, a few low and 0 high. And I also feel like it was extremely inaccurate. I actually took many supervised IQ / EQ / Personality tests that were more extensive in the past years. I can safely say that they contradict most of the results I got. My psychiatrist would burst out laughing if she was told that I am "motivated to maintain a sense of predictability once a situation becomes familiar".

All in all, it looks quite random to me, which is very frustrating given the time I spent attempting the final task (and on my application more broadly). The faces looked nothing like real humans (sorry if I can't read the emotions of aliens?), and many of the games were actually quite laggy / buggy at times, although I have a brand-new PC and perfect wifi.

Sorry for all the details, but if my rant can help any of you take the whole thing less personally, that's at least something positive coming out of my experience 🥲
Heya, thank you so much for being so candid, and it certainly has been reassuring to know that I am not the only one feeling hopeless with the assessment! I hope you don't mind, but I have dropped a response sharing more of my thoughts on the assessment too.

Turnthisstupidfatratyellow

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 5, 2021
Does anyone know if Watson Farley & Williams’ VI is automatic? I applied on Saturday and am quite surprised at how quickly they’ve responded to me. I also don’t have any business attire, because I’m visiting family and am unsure how to carry out a VI without more professional clothing 😬 Would be grateful for any help.
Is this for TC or VS?

WAL007

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 19, 2022
Guys - I have applied for Pinsent Masons earlier this year for TC but got rejected. I am tempted to apply for the VS and not the TC and was wondering whether I could do this without waiting for 6 months?

TheBestSolicitorInTheWorld

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2022
Lmao brudda thinks he’s entitled to a VS for attending their open day 💀

your score just wasn’t as high as the others bro
Okay, this isn't the nicest way to see it obviously. BUT, this commenter is not wrong. Just because you did an open day/ insight scheme with a firm does not mean that you should automatically be granted a vacation scheme. That would literally be legal nepotism lol. You have people who do full vacation schemes and are still rejected from a TC.

You are not owed anything just because you did an application and travelled to London. There are international students who travel CONTINENTS and do the SAME schemes so your point is redundant.

If you truly want to get in just because you did a scheme in the past, apply to CC. They let people who did forage internships have a 3x higher chance of getting in compared to everyone else.

My point is: what the commenter said was kinda rude but, you're not owed anything just because you've done a long application process or open day.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Okay, this isn't the nicest way to see it obviously. BUT, this commenter is not wrong. Just because you did an open day/ insight scheme with a firm does not mean that you should automatically be granted a vacation scheme. That would literally be legal nepotism lol. You have people who do full vacation schemes and are still rejected from a TC.

You are not owed anything just because you did an application and travelled to London. There are international students who travel CONTINENTS and do the SAME schemes so your point is redundant.

If you truly want to get in just because you did a scheme in the past, apply to CC. They let people who did forage internships have a 3x higher chance of getting in compared to everyone else.

My point is: what the commenter said was kinda rude but, you're not owed anything just because you've done a long application process or open day.
What I would stress is it is not that Clifford Chance "let" people who did their Forage internship have a 3x higher chance of getting through, they have just found that those who have done the programmes have a three times higher chance of getting through.

TheBestSolicitorInTheWorld

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2022
What I would stress is it is not that Clifford Chance "let" people who did their Forage internship have a 3x higher chance of getting through, they have just found that those who have done the programmes have a three times higher chance of getting through.
But they have found that they have a higher chance because they are the ones letting them in right?

Reactions: GOI983 and yasmars

Uvaia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jul 31, 2022

I am not sure if you read the OP, but they didn't say they expected to "automatically be granted" a VS. They were disappointed they didn't even get "a TI for the Vac Scheme". 😊

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    But they have found that they have a higher chance because they are the ones letting them in right?
    Could be a multitude of factors - maybe if you’ve done a forage internship you tailor your application better. It might be a higher percentage of Oxbridge students do one for whatever reason, they might be told to by their careers service so that is reflected in the end figures. Could also be that more hard working students opt to do one, and their hard work is also reflected in grades/uni they attend. You can’t just do a univariate analysis and say it’s because they are letting them in because they did it

DimpledHopper

Star Member
    Sep 20, 2021
    Correlation is not causation. Candidates who do the Forage internship have a higher chance of getting an interview/offer because -- as @CorpSmith02 mentions -- they may have a deeper insight into the firm's work and create a more tailored application. Completing the Forage internship doesn't automatically mean you're given a 3x chance of progressing if you can't then show what you've learnt from the internship.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Elsa3.1415

WAL007

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 19, 2022
    Genuinely curious - how does Skadden decide if you 'score' high enough? I was extended offers to both their Open Day and Insight Evening and I referred to both in my application (and used the tips from them to apply). How do I make it to both of those but don't even get a TI for the Vac Scheme - what even is the point in extending me offers for the events then?

Spent so long on the application fml (inclusive of attending both events and traveling to London to attend in person)
    I say keep going. For most of us including me, it was challenging to even secure a place for open days as these are at times competitive as vacations schemes so you securing these places is feat itself. In terms of time spent on application, sometimes its just the fact that the firm are recruiting on a rolling basis etc. I wouldn't be disheartened from this setback. Onwards and upwards from here! 🤜

• 🤝
    Reactions: DimpledHopper

Sachin Chandra

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 16, 2020
    Unrelated to Training Contract apps but I'm also doing a proposal for a research project. The deadline is in two weeks. Would anyone clean up the referencing and bibliography for a fee? It's only a 800 word piece of writing

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.