TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScoUting

Star Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jul 20, 2021
    I received an email from HL for a WG two days ago and today is the last day for me to complete it. However, I have been trying to get in contact with graduate rec by both emailing and calling for reasonable adjustments but no response. Should I just complete the WG without extra time or keep trying to call?

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Akin Gump AC invite :eek: If anyone has any tips or insights, I would be eternally grateful! It's my first AC (and in person) so I'm panicking a little bit 🙃
    @readylawyer1 congratulations! This is a massive achievement and you should be so proud 👏👏👏

Before I link some posts from the forum to help you prepare, just to say, don't be daunted by the fact that your AC is in person! The format is likely going to be quite different from a virtual AC (possibly be longer with more time for breaks/interactions with your peers) but will also give you a more rounded experience of the firm as you'll get to meet people from the firm in person, and your potential future colleagues as well.

I'd give these posts a good look to help prepare, let me know how you find them! And all the best, you've got this 💪🏼
    1. TCLA's interview question bank
    2. Avni's breakdown of ACs
    3. Jess' insight on how ACs are assessed
    4. James' tips on keeping your nerves in check
    5. George's insight on prepping for general interviews

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I received an email from HL for a WG two days ago and today is the last day for me to complete it. However, I have been trying to get in contact with graduate rec by both emailing and calling for reasonable adjustments but no response. Should I just complete the WG without extra time or keep trying to call?
    So, I am dyslexic and require reasonable adjustments. I usually do the test when firms do not immediately reply. However, I then ask them to apply reasonable adjustments when assessing my results. I did so with Linklaters, I hope it helps.

• 🤝
    Reactions: ScoUting and AvniD

ScoUting

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jul 20, 2021
    So, I am dyslexic and require reasonable adjustments. I usually do the test when firms do not immediately reply. However, I then ask them to apply reasonable adjustments when assessing my results. I did so with Linklaters, I hope it helps.
    Thank you! Massive help

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Are there any other hidden gems for Watson Glaser practice? I've used TCLA, jobtestprep, practice aptitude tests and Clifford Chance's free full test?
    If you dig through Google scholar (this will take a fair bit of effort), you may find publications by PhD researchers who have studied a whole range of Watson Glaser questions with a full set of answers and the explanations for them. This was definitely the hidden gem for me when I was practicing (which was 3 years ago now, but should still be relevant nonetheless)!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    @AvniD may I ask your help on something? I need to do research a bit more of what it is happening in the white collar sector. I am trying to understand the impact of the sanctions imposed on Russia. I am really struggling, could I ask for your opinion? Thank you in advance.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    In the context of telephone interview and interviews overall, does anyone have tips on how to come off well prepared (with good research into the firm etc) yet still show ability to think on the spot? Is it appropriate to take 3-5 seconds to think before taking each question? Or generally any tips on keeping the flow natural?

Reflecting on my ti experience with nrf, Im not entirely sure which part I fell down but GR said in an answer to my question that they look for someone who can think on the spot. Think I might have relied on my preparation too much (jumped at each question immediately as I found out I did some prep) and didn't really satisfy this
    Thinking on the spot is not the same as having an answer ready to fire off - it's absolutely okay to pause to respond! A really good tip is to speak in an even tone, in a measured and considered way. This helps you control the flow of your answers and bolt on ideas to your response while you're talking. This requires some practice so maybe pick a couple questions from this list here and record your voice to see if you're able to maintain evenness in your speech in an interview!

Reactions: HLL

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    @AvniD may I ask your help on something? I need to do research a bit more of what it is happening in the white collar sector. I am trying to understand the impact of the sanctions imposed on Russia. I am really struggling, could I ask for your opinion? Thank you in advance.
    Have you tried looking at law firm reports? Or reports by consultancies like McKinsey, BCG etc.? They usually have really good industry insights that you can use to understand the geopolitical atmosphere in a particular jurisdiction and its impact on business!

readylawyer1

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 16, 2021
    @readylawyer1 congratulations! This is a massive achievement and you should be so proud 👏👏👏

Before I link some posts from the forum to help you prepare, just to say, don't be daunted by the fact that your AC is in person! The format is likely going to be quite different from a virtual AC (possibly be longer with more time for breaks/interactions with your peers) but will also give you a more rounded experience of the firm as you'll get to meet people from the firm in person, and your potential future colleagues as well.

I'd give these posts a good look to help prepare, let me know how you find them! And all the best, you've got this 💪🏼
    1. TCLA's interview question bank
    2. Avni's breakdown of ACs
    3. Jess' insight on how ACs are assessed
    4. James' tips on keeping your nerves in check
    5. George's insight on prepping for general interviews
    Thank you 😊, these posts are an awesome way to feel a bit more prepared!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

Sachin Chandra

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 16, 2020
    If you dig through Google scholar (this will take a fair bit of effort), you may find publications by PhD researchers who have studied a whole range of Watson Glaser questions with a full set of answers and the explanations for them. This was definitely the hidden gem for me when I was practicing (which was 3 years ago now, but should still be relevant nonetheless)!
    I love this out of the box approach. I just did a practice tests which scored 75% placing me in the 48th percentile for Assessment Day. What percentile do firms tend to accept as satisfactory to progress to the next stage? I just want to gauge how far off the mark I am at this stage and how much time on a daily basis I need to dedicate to WG

Reactions: AvniD and yasmars

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    I love this out of the box approach. I just did a practice tests which scored 75% placing me in the 48th percentile for Assessment Day. What percentile do firms tend to accept as satisfactory to progress to the next stage? I just want to gauge how far off the mark I am at this stage and how much time on a daily basis I need to dedicate to WG
    It varies firm to firm. The percentile will be different depending on the benchmark group. If this is a bunch of partners, your percentile may be lower than if the benchmark group is a few trainees. 75% is a good score, though. From memory, I think that would place you in 88-90th percentile with Linklaters, although it could place you in the 34th percentile at another firm (not a real life example, just illustrating the point).

Reactions: yasmars and Adrian_S

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Have you tried looking at law firm reports? Or reports by consultancies like McKinsey, BCG etc.? They usually have really good industry insights that you can use to understand the geopolitical atmosphere in a particular jurisdiction and its impact on business!
    That’s a good start, thank you so much

• 🤝

lawstudent9

Star Member
  • Apr 16, 2022
    HL WG is not timed, the amount of time you take to complete it is not taken into consideration either.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: lawyering

avyanka09

Standard Member
    Sep 23, 2022
    I missed a call from london this morning and it won’t let me call back. I’m wondering if it’s Taylor Wessing or if I’m just getting my hopes up unnecessarily 😂
    Not to give false hope or anything, but it could be, because I saw on GradCracker.com where TW Graduate Recruitment Team details the application process and says that they would give a call to the candidates invited for an AC to inform them about what to expect during the assessment day and inquiring if any adjustments need to be made. Not entirely sure if this is true though, and if it is still being done, but if you don't mind me asking, did they send you an invite for an AC to your email already?

I haven't heard anything yet from TW post-game-based assessment! 😔 Has TW reverted back to anyone regarding ACs for the London Summer Vacation Scheme?

HLL

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 26, 2021
    Thinking on the spot is not the same as having an answer ready to fire off - it's absolutely okay to pause to respond! A really good tip is to speak in an even tone, in a measured and considered way. This helps you control the flow of your answers and bolt on ideas to your response while you're talking. This requires some practice so maybe pick a couple questions from this list here and record your voice to see if you're able to maintain evenness in your speech in an interview!
    Thank you Avni! This is so helpful!

• 🤝

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Not to give false hope or anything, but it could be, because I saw on GradCracker.com where TW Graduate Recruitment Team details the application process and says that they would give a call to the candidates invited for an AC to inform them about what to expect during the assessment day and inquiring if any adjustments need to be made. Not entirely sure if this is true though, and if it is still being done, but if you don't mind me asking, did they send you an invite for an AC to your email already?

I haven't heard anything yet from TW post-game-based assessment! 😔 Has TW reverted back to anyone regarding ACs for the London Summer Vacation Scheme?
    No yet

• 🤝
    Reactions: avyanka09
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.