TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
Whoever told you this is incorrect.

The firm will be paying tax and NI for you - the only way they won't be doing so if it is unpaid internship. Every job that pays employees in the UK will be subject to tax and NI - you are not exempt just because of the job title (as otherwise everyone's job title would be intern). You will need an NI number - they cannot employ/pay you without one.

Also, the firm are not looking at this from a visa perspective - they just think you can take leave to attend the vacation scheme. You need to check the terms of your visa carefully as you could be breaking the terms of it if you work for another employer who is not your visa sponsor. A Tier 2 visa is linked to your employer and their right to sponsor you, so going to other forms of employment is not just as simple as taking annual leave.
Thanks for your clarification.
I am copying what is written in the gov.uk website, saying that we are allowed to get a second visa and do two jobs. I can be sponsored for the vacation scheme and I still have my current job.
All the Firms that I applied to are stating that they sponsor for Vacation Scheme. Thanks.

If you’re applying to add a second job to your current visa​

You must apply to update your visa if you take on a second job that is either:

• more than 20 paid hours a week in addition to the job you’re being sponsored for
  • in a different occupation code
Your second job must meet the eligibility requirements and you’ll need a new certificate of sponsorship to prove this.

You’ll also need to include a letter with your application explaining that you want to change your current permission to stay.

Your letter must state:

• your name
  • your date of birth
  • your current certificate of sponsorship reference number
  • the date when your current permission to stay runs out
If your application is successful, you’ll get a new visa giving you permission to do both jobs.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for your clarification.
I am copying what is written in the gov.uk website, saying that we are allowed to get a second visa and do two jobs. I can be sponsored for the vacation scheme and I still have my current job.
All the Firms that I applied to are stating that they sponsor for Vacation Scheme. Thanks.

If you’re applying to add a second job to your current visa​

You must apply to update your visa if you take on a second job that is either:

• more than 20 paid hours a week in addition to the job you’re being sponsored for
  • in a different occupation code
Your second job must meet the eligibility requirements and you’ll need a new certificate of sponsorship to prove this.

You’ll also need to include a letter with your application explaining that you want to change your current permission to stay.

Your letter must state:

• your name
  • your date of birth
  • your current certificate of sponsorship reference number
  • the date when your current permission to stay runs out
If your application is successful, you’ll get a new visa giving you permission to do both jobs.
You will be working more than 20 hours as a vacation scheme student, so you would definitely need sponsorship for the vacation scheme.

Based on TCLA's knowledge and the experience of our community, most firms do not apply for visas for vacation scheme students, only for trainees. If you have heard otherwise this is a monumental shift in the legal industry, so it would be useful to know which firms have told you this.

The vast majority of firms will not apply for visas as they cost several thousands pounds for firms to apply for and that costs more than it does to employ a student for 1-3 weeks. The exceptions tend to be for recruitment drives for certain nationalities (Indian Clerkship programmes, UAE dual location internships).

Most law firm internships wouldn't even meet the UK's visa requirements too (primarily because of how short-term they are).

Reactions: JessicaIsabelle

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
Thanks for taking time to write this. However, it does not make any sense because I am loosing my chances to get a TC. Most of the Firms recruit from their vacation scheme and the TC route is much harder. I don't know what to do.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for taking time to write this. However, it does not make any sense because I am loosing my chances to get a TC. Most of the Firms recruit from their vacation scheme and the TC route is much harder. I don't know what to do.
Unfortunately, this is an issue many international applicants who are not currently studying in the UK face. I wish there was an answer I could give that would help with this, but it is a massive obstacle many people face - I talk to a good number of our international TCLA members about this issue.

Although it may not be possible to transfer your visa across if you are already on a Skilled Persons Visa, the only way easy way to work for a law firm during a vacation scheme is with a post-graduate visa as this allows you to work in the UK for up to two years for ANY employer. The Skilled Persons Visa/Tier 2 Visa is very much linked to your employer, while the post-graduate visa is only attached to you.

Reactions: JessicaIsabelle and AvniD

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
Unfortunately, this is an issue many international applicants who are not currently studying in the UK face. I wish there was an answer I could give that would help with this, but it is a massive obstacle many people face - I talk to a good number of our international TCLA members about this issue.

Although it may not be possible to transfer your visa across if you are already on a Skilled Persons Visa, the only way easy way to work for a law firm during a vacation scheme is with a post-graduate visa as this allows you to work in the UK for up to two years for ANY employer. The Skilled Persons Visa/Tier 2 Visa is very much linked to your employer, while the post-graduate visa is only attached to you.
Thank you.

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
Jan 12, 2022
How does one get around requesting time off for a Spring Vac scheme when they will only be weeks into a role? I did mention the need for time off in the interview due to a fictitious skiing holiday.

However, I am now slightly apprehensive of the fact that I could be asked about said ski holiday upon returning to the job (and I am awful at lying).

How have people approached this before?

p.s. the role isn't in law, so I doubt they would be very understanding

I let my line manager know about a month into my role and there were no issues at all. Lots of my colleagues do vac schemes with other firms though so it's kind of a precedent to allow annual leave for vac schemes.

Does your line manager know of your interest in working in law? If you explain that vac schemes are a necessary step for your career trajectory, they might be more understanding - maybe give them plenty of notice about when vacation schemes generally happen (spring/summer)?

Of course, you know your employer better than any of us and you should be entitled to those leave days in any case - the reason you give them is totally up to you as it's really none of their business anyway (unless conflict checks need to be done).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.