TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

pax

Dec 28, 2022
Ok, so after my doom and gloom post yesterday, I somehow received offers to DLA Piper at HSF for an AC. Less than 24 hours' notice for the HSF scheme (wtf...) - so I think I was on a waitlist and someone dropped out.

Over the moon, but now I'm so nervous about back-to-back ACs. I don't even have time to get my suit dry-cleaned. Best resources for last-minute AC prep? Best same-day dry cleaners lol? I'm trying to get ahold of Aspiring Solicitors for their AC prep people, but all slots are booked until Friday!
Congratulations! Is the HSF AC for their summer or spring scheme?

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
Ok, so after my doom and gloom post yesterday, I somehow received offers to DLA Piper at HSF for an AC. Less than 24 hours' notice for the HSF scheme (wtf...) - so I think I was on a waitlist and someone dropped out.

Over the moon, but now I'm so nervous about back-to-back ACs. I don't even have time to get my suit dry-cleaned. Best resources for last-minute AC prep? Best same-day dry cleaners lol? I'm trying to get ahold of Aspiring Solicitors for their AC prep people, but all slots are booked until Friday!
When did you apply/ do WG for DLA?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Ummmmm yesterday was raining ACs???? Congratulations all!!! 👏👏👏

Linking some of our best resources to help you practice for your ACs (those of you who don't have ACs around the corner can bookmark this for later!!) -
Any tips on AC for DLA Piper will be greatly appreciated :)

HSF summer AC invite 🎉🍾

Milbank AC!

Taylor Wessing AC invite! Has anyone done one before and have any advice? Thank you!

Just got invited for a Freshfields AC! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

skadden AC!!!!!! omg

skadden AC!

skadden AC!!

skadden ac omg! first ac ever im in disbelief

Skadden AC! Shocking after that TI…

Skadden ac - could someone confirm if possible whether it matters if I choose slots on different days?

Taylor Wessing AC!!

CMS AC invite! Really thought I messed up my VI by not fully answering a question and having to fit the answer I missed into the next question. I'm never that confident with VIs so I'm really surprised! Hope this week brings good news for others too :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Skadden ac - could someone confirm if possible whether it matters if I choose slots on different days?
It won't impact any decisions - they won't organise too many assessment centres and will expect the same quality in someone who comes in on the first assessment centre as they do in the last.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Thanks for taking time to write this. However, it does not make any sense because I am loosing my chances to get a TC. Most of the Firms recruit from their vacation scheme and the TC route is much harder. I don't know what to do.
Hi @Ghassen, I can imagine how disappointing it may have been to learn of the hurdles surrounding visa sponsorship when it comes to doing vacation schemes. The way the system is currently, international applicants have the best shot of securing a vacation scheme either on a student visa or a graduate visa. If you're on a work visa or applying from abroad, direct TC applications can be a great way to secure your TC, even if there are less spots available through this route.

Say that you receive an AC offer for a vacation scheme, you can also consider having a conversation with grad rec about converting it into a direct TC interview if at all possible, given your visa considerations. This way, your effort towards your vac scheme applications won't go to waste.

I got my TC through the direct route as an international applicant and I compiled my learnings/inisght about how you can make this route work for you in this thread here and post here. I 100% believe that this route can work for you if you open your mind to it and target the right firms (@BiancaR very generously shared a list of firms recruiting heavily from direct TCs here that you can refer to).

Wishing you all the very best for your TC journey ahead 🤝

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Have such little hope about getting an AC this year from a law firm :( every year in apps I get at least 1 AC but this year I won’t even get to feel the pre and post-AC anxiety💔
I completely relate @Ambs123, what you're going through is one of the hardest parts of this process and tests your conviction to be a solicitor like nothing else. I really do hope that you do get an AC and eventual TC in this application cycle, but if that does not happen, in order to both not take this personally and also to keep going, I highly recommend taking a break from making applications for however long you need.

For me, this was for about a couple months when I just needed to get away from this process and evaluate if I was committed to 1) putting myself through it again 2) taking a good look at what I may be doing wrong (was I targeting the right firms/routes, was I focusing on each aspect of the prep with sincerity, was my commercial awareness up to the mark etc).

Whatever ends up happening, you WILL get through it and this process does not define who you are and what you're capable of achieving, even if it may feel like that at times. I am rooting for you 🤝

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.