TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Any chance that Latham is still sending out VI invites at this stage or should I expect PFO for spring?
How long was it between the first VI batch and the second? This may give me slight hope lol
I've accepted that I'm getting rejected, but I think my academic results aren't quite what they're looking for (+ I didn't explain my mitigating circumstances *that* well).

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
I am unsure if my grades are keeping me out of certain firms, as I feel like my best written apps are for these firms, but they're the ones I'm getting rejections from. Does anyone know if A*A*A* at A-level and a high first for a research masters would make up for a lower 2.1 at undergraduate (with some mitigating circumstances)? Or are my applications getting binned :(

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
I am unsure if my grades are keeping me out of certain firms, as I feel like my best written apps are for these firms, but they're the ones I'm getting rejections from. Does anyone know if A*A*A* at A-level and a high first for a research masters would make up for a lower 2.1 at undergraduate (with some mitigating circumstances)? Or are my applications getting binned :(
someone could correct me if I am wrong but for some super stuffy US firms this is a possibility. If you are competing with people with straight A*s and first across the board they would just pick them over your although having a high first in masters should IMO override the low 2:1. I think some super elite firms with tiny intake have their pick so just go with safer option.

refy

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 19, 2021
Ok, so after my doom and gloom post yesterday, I somehow received offers to DLA Piper at HSF for an AC. Less than 24 hours' notice for the HSF scheme (wtf...) - so I think I was on a waitlist and someone dropped out.

Over the moon, but now I'm so nervous about back-to-back ACs. I don't even have time to get my suit dry-cleaned. Best resources for last-minute AC prep? Best same-day dry cleaners lol? I'm trying to get ahold of Aspiring Solicitors for their AC prep people, but all slots are booked until Friday!
Pm me if you need any help for DLA!

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
someone could correct me if I am wrong but for some super stuffy US firms this is a possibility. If you are competing with people with straight A*s and first across the board they would just pick them over your although having a high first in masters should IMO override the low 2:1. I think some super elite firms with tiny intake have their pick so just go with safer option.
Hm that's what I was thinking. I was rejected from Sidley, and I accepted that it was because of this. (I also didn't explain my zero, oops!)

But for places like Latham, White & Case, and Skadden, I was hoping to at least be considered (and I did explain my zero to them, as well as a few other dodgy modules). Maybe my application wasn't strong enough in other ways, but imo they've been my strongest in terms of the written questions.

Does anyone know if sending in evidence from my college nurse would help my case, regarding the mitigating circumstances? Or if firms generally accept what is written in the mitigating circumstances box as gospel.

Reactions: Uvaia

LawEnthus

Star Member
Oct 2, 2020
the timer on my RS VI was quite low on the screen and so because I didn't want to look down too often/look like I was reading, I mistimed a few questions very slightly and it cut me off literally a word or two before the end of my answer... there were 9 and this happened on roughly 3. Does this often lead to automatic disqualification? I hope my tone indicated I was rounding off and I finished most answers in time and feel all were reasonably strong and structured. how common is this? Ive never run out of time before in VI questions always finished within 5-10 seconds of the cut off! @AvniD @Jessica Booker and anyone else with insight please help! thank you 🙏

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Your Masters grade is impressive but unlikely to make up for a low 2:1 at your undergrad as it is not a minimum requirement for firms, which is why you have to make sure that you're being super transparent about your mitigating circumstances, even if it may make you uncomfortable to share them. It's an important piece of context without which the true picture of your academic record will be unascertainable and firms may reject you on this basis.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
Hm that's what I was thinking. I was rejected from Sidley, and I accepted that it was because of this. (I also didn't explain my zero, oops!)

But for places like Latham, White & Case, and Skadden, I was hoping to at least be considered (and I did explain my zero to them, as well as a few other dodgy modules). Maybe my application wasn't strong enough in other ways, but imo they've been my strongest in terms of the written questions.

Does anyone know if sending in evidence from my college nurse would help my case, regarding the mitigating circumstances? Or if firms generally accept what is written in the mitigating circumstances box as gospel.
btw in regards to my comment I think it is only a minority of "elite" US firms that seem to adopt this approach. but again I could be wrong. and again, your grades are not bad at all overall hahaha probably better than 90 % of applicants

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.