TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2022
I completed the tests on December 15th and got a report on December 17th with my top three strengths and telling me how I performed in the verbal reasoning test. Haven't heard anything since though!
Is there a way to practice or prepare for Mayer Brown's test? Specifically, I was curious about which platform they use (i.e., SHL, Sova etc.,)

lawstudent22

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2022
Is there a way to practice or prepare for Mayer Brown's test? Specifically, I was curious about which platform they use (i.e., SHL, Sova etc.,)

I had done the EY tests previously and Mayer Brown definitely used the same test platform (but with what I thought were some harder questions thrown in). When they send you the link to take the tests they also link to where you can practice!

• 🤝
Reactions: futuretrainee202X

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
I can drop my two cents for W&C- I got a mid 2:2 in my first year, a low 2:1 in my second year and a high 2:1 in my final year and I managed to secure a vac scheme w W&C. I definitely think they're one of the firms that don't care (as much) about grades- they were a lot more interested in my side hobbies and hustles and didn't seem to blink at my grades!

Additionally, I actually do feel like my masters in which I received a 1st helped too, if not just to demonstrate my understanding (now) of law in areas important/ significant to the firms! Then you can drop your masters grades into interviews etc (where relevant). I think so much about it is just selling all of those points that differentiate you!

Potentially it could be the application? I took inspiration from a cover letter that had secured a vac scheme previously and that made all the difference in getting me further in the process, it appears that their application can be quite formulaic and sometimes you just need pointers on what kind of formula firms want :).

*speaking just of my own experience* !
Thank you so much for this insight :)

Reactions: aishaalexandra

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    I just completed the VI for Bristows (only my second VI to date). I feel like I definitely overprepared for it as there are only two questions (1minute each). They were questions that are very generic and can be used by every firm, so I really hope I did well.

Got a bit nervous about one of the questions so instead of the three points I wanted to make, I only managed to talk about one but in some detail.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    I just completed the VI for Bristows (only my second VI to date). I feel like I definitely overprepared for it as there are only two questions (1minute each). They were questions that are very generic and can be used by every firm, so I really hope I did well.

Got a bit nervous about one of the questions so instead of the three points I wanted to make, I only managed to talk about one but in some detail.
    I really struggled with mine as 60s is not long at all! Re talking about fewer points in more detail, I did this for all of my Willkie VI questions, and got through. I almost think that fewer points in more detail is better :) Sounds like you've done well!

Reactions: cyberjaz1116

jessicamcnamara

Esteemed Member
    Jan 17, 2022
    Does Mayer Brown ever release test results? How do we know how we’ve done in the first round? That situational strengths part was quite challenging! Anybody know how long they take to get back after tests too?
    Completed my tests 28th or 29th November, got the strengths report on 30th November, not heard back yet… I don’t think anyone has heard back!

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

Everyone gets a bit nervous in VIs- it's super normal and firms are used to it! At least you managed to get a good point across in your answer to that one question!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Just received an email from Clyde Co saying they are screening apps and if I am successful I will get invited so an AC in early Feb and I should ensure I am available for those dates.

is this a good sign or does everyone got the email?
    It sounds like a general email to me, tbh. I hope it's good news whenever you hear from the firm🤞

Reactions: John Travoni

Ambs123

Legendary Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    I completely relate @Ambs123, what you're going through is one of the hardest parts of this process and tests your conviction to be a solicitor like nothing else. I really do hope that you do get an AC and eventual TC in this application cycle, but if that does not happen, in order to both not take this personally and also to keep going, I highly recommend taking a break from making applications for however long you need.

For me, this was for about a couple months when I just needed to get away from this process and evaluate if I was committed to 1) putting myself through it again 2) taking a good look at what I may be doing wrong (was I targeting the right firms/routes, was I focusing on each aspect of the prep with sincerity, was my commercial awareness up to the mark etc).

Whatever ends up happening, you WILL get through it and this process does not define who you are and what you're capable of achieving, even if it may feel like that at times. I am rooting for you 🤝
    Thanks for the advice, you’re definitely right that I need to take some time off from applications once this cycle ends. It’s been really rough this year! :(

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Thanks for the advice, you’re definitely right that I need to take some time off from applications once this cycle ends. It’s been really rough this year! :(
    I hope that the break is restorative for you and helps you understand your motivations better. Wishing you the best 🤝

Reactions: Ambs123

starman

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Just received an email from Clyde Co saying they are screening apps and if I am successful I will get invited so an AC in early Feb and I should ensure I am available for those dates.

is this a good sign or does everyone got the email?
    I believe everyone has received the same email. By the way, it is an interesting strategy of sending us emails every other week to ensure we remember that we have applied to Clyde Co 😂

I hope that we will at least receive some good news soon!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.