TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawStudent0101

Dec 9, 2022
Im wondering if anyone has done an AC with BCLP this year, the email I got from grad recruitment also said that part of the day is a 'mark-up exercise.' Could anyone explain what this is/give any tips to prepare thanks.

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
Im wondering if anyone has done an AC with BCLP this year, the email I got from grad recruitment also said that part of the day is a 'mark-up exercise.' Could anyone explain what this is/give any tips to prepare thanks.
It's sounds like it's going to be a document mark-up, meaning you edit and change parts of the document based on set guidelines. I would use the Forage virtual internships to practice because you can then see a model answer - off the top of my head I think the Weil and Latham & Watkins ones have mark-ups (for L&W I think it's you responding to the other party's mark-up, which makes for a good example)

patternteddybear

Esteemed Member
Jan 4, 2023
hey everyone, i have an AC in february for HSF’s summer scheme. i was wondering if anyone knew the number of people they tend to invite to the ACs, and the proportion of people they take for their vacation scheme? and then also the proportion of people from the vacation scheme they offer a training contract to? would be great to know what my chances are like :) thank you all :) and good luck to everyone with this whole process

ChicoAnon

Standard Member
Premium Member
Apr 2, 2022
@Jessica Booker - also the wider community - In my country, it is essential that a thank you/courtesy note is sent to the interviewer after an interview. I understand this is uncommon in the UK and would not change the ultimate outcome, but it personally feels strange not to follow up, as this is just what I am used to doing.

Following an AC, would it be acceptable to send a thank you note? To the individual recruiters who supervised you that day or any solicitors who interviewed you?

On a tangential note, we had three recruitment advisors sit with the six of us all day as we waited for the next task/interview. Would they have been assessing us/observing our conversations even as we sat around waiting?

Thanks!

ChicoAnon

Standard Member
Premium Member
Apr 2, 2022
hey everyone, i have an AC in february for HSF’s summer scheme. i was wondering if anyone knew the number of people they tend to invite to the ACs, and the proportion of people they take for their vacation scheme? and then also the proportion of people from the vacation scheme they offer a training contract to? would be great to know what my chances are like :) thank you all :) and good luck to everyone with this whole process

8ppl in my AC. Small group. At one point, the recruiters shared the odds of securing a VS, and I tried to do the maths quickly. 1/8 chance I believe for spring VS. Higher odds for summer than spring, however. Take this with a pinch of salt, yours could be different of course.

patternteddybear

Esteemed Member
Jan 4, 2023
8ppl in my AC. Small group. At one point, the recruiters shared the odds of securing a VS, and I tried to do the maths quickly. 1/8 chance I believe for spring VS. Higher odds for summer than spring, however. Take this with a pinch of salt, yours could be different of course.
thank you for this :) so i am guessing it’s pretty much one person per group? as i know they have 100 vacation scheme spaces in general :)

Tattyasha

Distinguished Member
Jan 15, 2023
Bit late to the party I’m afraid but loving going through this thread when I get time. Goodness it’s a while since I’ve felt nerves like it! Am probably a dinosaur compared to most here (I’ve actually located grey hair - what the heck? 😰) and having basically been on maternity leave for the best part of 4 years am well and truly out of practice.

As we speak I’ve submitted 10 applications since 29/12 and have another 3 on my list. No responses as yet - I don’t know if that’s good, bad or indifferent. Had kind of hoped for a couple of rejections to get an idea of whether my approach is working or not but I’m guessing, maybe, not receiving any quick PFOs is a positive sign?

One or two I definitely made a mess of. Kirkland I was in such a flap I didn’t press submit when I thought I had and it ended up going at 00:02 on the 1st Jan 🤦‍♀️ Vinson Elkins was also a disaster because I pressed ‘return’ instead of ‘down’ when I was checking it, so it submitted whether I was ready or not (I was not).

Other than that I’m reasonably happy with them and I’ve definitely improved on each one. In addition to the above I’ve submitted Latham, Weil, Sidley, Akin, Shearman, Covington, Gibson Dunn and S&C. I’ve got Ropes, Paul Hastings and MLB left. Missed Skadden’s date which is a shame as that’s a fave and a couple of others I’ve just not done as I haven’t had the right vibe.

Ah well, we shall soon see I’m sure and I will, of course, keep you posted.

Wishing you all the very best of luck and all the success in the world ❤️ Lovely to meet you and thank you for reading my post :)

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker - also the wider community - In my country, it is essential that a thank you/courtesy note is sent to the interviewer after an interview. I understand this is uncommon in the UK and would not change the ultimate outcome, but it personally feels strange not to follow up, as this is just what I am used to doing.

Following an AC, would it be acceptable to send a thank you note? To the individual recruiters who supervised you that day or any solicitors who interviewed you?

On a tangential note, we had three recruitment advisors sit with the six of us all day as we waited for the next task/interview. Would they have been assessing us/observing our conversations even as we sat around waiting?

Thanks!
Plenty of people do send thank yous. If you do, I would only do it to those you have contact details for - tracking down your interviewers email address can feel a bit stalker-ish at times.

Just keep the thank you short and sweet - it literally only needs to be 2-3 sentences thanking them for their time.

You were not being formally assessed. However, the impression you can make on other people during the day can contribute to decisions. For instance, I have been told by receptionists when people have been rude to them and that has stopped us making offers to people (often because we had picked up a hint of arrogance/rudeness anyway, and that just confirmed it). It’s unlikely to have a massive impact unless your interactions were at the extreme of scales.

Reactions: Lord Sumption
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.