TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawstudent9

Star Member
  • Apr 16, 2022
    I remember in the slaughter application confirmation email they send us to confirm receipt of our application, they say if we have other ACs or TC offers and need to make a decision, we can email them and they'd fast-track our app. I have an AC with another MC firm and a TC offer from a silver circle firm. I'm not under any time pressure to decide though.
    I was wondering if it'd be worth telling slaughters that because they're my first choice and I still haven't heard from them! I'm getting quite anxious now since a lot of my friends have received an outcome. I thought my cover letter was strong too :(

Edit: the Slaughters app is for the summer vac scheme

Last edited:

cycw

Star Member
    Jan 31, 2022
    I remember in the slaughter application confirmation email they send us to confirm receipt of our application, they say if we have other ACs or TC offers and need to make a decision, we can email them and they'd fast-track our app. I have an AC with another MC firm and a TC offer from a silver circle firm. I'm not under any time pressure to decide though.
    I was wondering if it'd be worth telling slaughters that because they're my first choice and I still haven't heard from them! I'm getting quite anxious now since a lot of my friends have received an outcome. I thought my cover letter was strong too :(
    I applied for Slaughters' Training Contract last autumn (it was due 30th Nov) and I still haven't heard from them, am I right to assume PFO?

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    I would definitely email them. They moved my interview up by 5 months because I had a TC offer elsewhere, so they clearly have some flexibility and would be understanding of your situation.

Reactions: lawstudent9

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Does anyone know if Orrick's vac scheme is rolling? I can see that their direct TC apps are non-rolling, but didn't know if this also held true for vac schemes. Any help much appreciated :)

traineedreamer

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019
    If they said you can do so because of other ACs and TC offers, I don't see why it would be an issue. At least you'd have your outcome for them either way, good luck!

Reactions: lawstudent9

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Does anyone know if Orrick's vac scheme is rolling? I can see that their direct TC apps are non-rolling, but didn't know if this also held true for vac schemes. Any help much appreciated :)
    Non-rolling; they said at an event that we should spend as much time as needed on the form, until the deadline :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it bad that I was honest with a (magic circle) firm’s graduate recruitment that I needed to reschedule my AC because I had another AC? I tried to frame my email in a way that sounded like I have attempted to reschedule the other AC but it couldn’t be rescheduled. I keep overthinking and in my mind I feel as though I’ve maybe ruined their impression of me or made them think “oh you want to reschedule OUR AC?” Especially because it’s an MC firm, I didn’t want it to come off like they were a second choice…

There are “age old reasons” that people use like I’m sick, I have an exam, but I didn’t wanna be one of those people who’d then be caught out in a lie, and I thought being honest would’ve been the best way but everyone’s telling me I shouldn’t have told them I had another AC on the same day… @Jessica Booker any thoughts on this? :(
    This happens all the time - if anything I think it is best to be honest and at least you are demonstrating you are a competitive candidate.

Law firms have these conversations all the time - the worst that can happen if they cannot offer you an alternative (they often can) and then you have to make a decision on which assessment centre to attend (you could ask the other firm to move theirs instead).

Reactions: yasmars and Jaysen

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    I applied for Slaughters' Training Contract last autumn (it was due 30th Nov) and I still haven't heard from them, am I right to assume PFO?
    From what I understand they literally read applications on a rolling basis and reject or make offers for interviews when they get to your application. If you haven't had either, they may not have got to your application yet.

• Sad
    Reactions: cycw

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was wondering if anyone could guide me on something, @Jessica Booker not sure if you have any tips. I have an interview coming up with a MC firm and I know that they tend to ask about previous vac schemes and occasionally ask why you didn’t manage to convert. The problem is that I did a vac scheme in winter with a US firm and have been placed on their ‘holding list’ for a TC until March (so I didn’t get a formal offer, but I haven’t been rejected either). Should I be honest about this if they do ask? I’m conscious of making it look like I’m still holding out for an offer from the US firm so the MC firm is my second choice, which of course would probably land me a rejection from the MC firm! Thanks in advance!
    Yes, I would be honest and say you are will hear back from the vacation scheme process for the US firm you did your winter scheme with in March.

I'd be prepared to also answer what are the key differences between what the US firm can offer you and what they can offer you too - this is often a follow up question.

Reactions: Seabird15

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    • 🏆
    Reactions: sxw517

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone - quick question. I have studied law during my undergraduate degree abroad; this is a qualifying law degree in there but it is not a qualifying degree in the UK and I would have to do a GDL or the SQE.

When an application form asks "Is this a qualifying law degree?" should I select yes or no? I'm just confused because I have studied law, it's just not in the UK. @Jessica Booker would greatly appreciate your advice, thank you!
    This should be no - as I suspect they mean a qualifying law degree in England and Wales.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.