TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAA

Star Member
Feb 1, 2021
URGENT:

Hi everyone, today is the deadline for Taylor Vinters. Is it worth it if I complete the application and submit it tonight? They recruit on a rolling basis. Most firms say they don't fill their Assessment centers till after the deadline. Their Assessment Centre dates are as follows:

Tuesday 14 February

Wednesday 15 February

Tuesday 21 February

Wednesday 22 February

Wednesday 1 March

Thursday 2 March

Tuesday 7 March

Wednesday 8 March

Tuesday 14 March

Wednesday 15 March

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks.

SAA

Star Member
Feb 1, 2021
Hi all,

I am currently completing the Taylors Vinters vac scheme/Training contract application form. I've come across this question: If you were asked to advise our management team on one key area for Taylor Vinters to focus on in the next three years, what would that be and why?

And this question as well: Why have you applied to Taylor Vinters?

If anyone has applied previously and has gotten through to the next stage or has applied in this cycle and has gotten through to the next stage, please advise on how you would answer/answered these questions, particularly the first question.

In the 'Why have you applied to Taylor Vinters?' question, what points have you made? - As it is only 100 words.

Thanks.

Reactions: cyberjaz1116
D

daisy_yawn

Hi all,

I am currently completing the Taylors Vinters vac scheme/Training contract application form. I've come across this question: If you were asked to advise our management team on one key area for Taylor Vinters to focus on in the next three years, what would that be and why?

If anyone has applied previously and has gotten through to the next stage or has applied in this cycle and has gotten through to the next stage, please advise on how you would answer/answered these questions, particularly the first question.

In the 'Why have you applied to Taylor Vinters?' question, what points have you made? - As it is only 100 words.

Thanks.

What are your initial thoughts for the first one? For "Why this firm" since it's only a 100 words if you give around 2 key reasons why, that should be sufficient.

Reactions: Sunshinepink

LJ

Distinguished Member
Oct 17, 2022
Hi all,

Thanks.
I haven’t applied personally but for the why TV question I would say not to worry what other people have put.

What are you actual reasons for applying to the firm? I think these answers work so much better if you are authentic and manage to display genuine passion for the firm. I think in 100 words you could still get 3 pretty good reasons in there.

Again i’m not really sure what sectors TV focus on but you could link it to an existing one or it could be a new completely new area/location for them to focus on. For example, many tech firms (Dell want to move all semi-conductor manufacturing out of the country) are looking to diversify their manufacturing out of China. It’s interesting where this will move to + perhaps it presents an opportunity the firm to open a new office, focus on that sector. It may also be that TV’s main competitors are opening offices in the region which is a threat. I think with these questions as long as you demonstrate some commercial awareness/analysis and manage to link it back to the firm you will be fine.

Good luck with the application :)

Rina

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 14, 2021
    do slaughters ever ask about a recent deal??
    In my interview I was asked about a deal I found interesting and why, and then we discussed things like which departments might be involved and my reasons for finding it interesting. There were quite a lot of follow-up questions on things I’d mentioned tangentially in this context.

Reactions: mdoeslaw

MB17

Jun 12, 2020
    Hi everyone, please bear with me as I share my built-up frustration.

This is my 3rd cycle (or 4th if I add first-year activities). I graduated last summer from the University of Birmingham with a very low 2:1 and extreme burnout. In second year, I almost failed Tort and Land owing to worsening mental health. I applied for mitigating circumstances hoping to re-sit these core modules, but uni told me "You passed and that's enough. Work harder next year and if you're sufficiently close to a first, we'll grant you a first". Considering how firms are very picky about Tort in particular, I felt very frustrated but moved on. In final year, I scored a high first, 3 2:1s, and a couple of high 2:2s. Very inconsistent, I know. Before that, I confidently disclosed mitigating circumstances based on what happened in second year, but then I felt like I had to justify the final-year inconsistencies too (that's also what @Jessica Booker told me). This also barred me from pursuing an LLM at the London Elite (KCL, UCL, LSE). I was already fed up, if not traumatised by my Birmingham experience.

Without a TC offer lined up and nothing better to do, I traveled to Amsterdam to pursue an LLM that I never wanted to do. I was mostly pleasing my Middle Eastern family that wanted me to keep going all the way to a PhD. It was a disaster - academic culture shock, panic attacks, frustration and failing. I ended up dropping out half a semester into it, and for now, I'm waiting to be rescued by a TC offer, or else I'd do the SQE prep.

VS/TC Applications also have a major contribution to my current burnout and despair. In second year, my applications were reviewed through a mentoring scheme and I was told I'd be "the miracle of that cycle" considering how "great" my submissions were. None of the applications went through. I got rejections either post-app or after passing the tests, except for a Linklaters AC (Middle East though, so the curve was lower), but that didn't go through either. In final year, the furthest I went through was an AC waitlist at DWF, and a first-stage interview for the SH Dubai VS (they ghosted me for 6 weeks after that interview, only to reject me for the STUPIDEST reasons. They could've just said "you came third best after the 2 candidates we could accommodate").

I did everything possible to maximise my applications. Workshops? Done it. Networking? Done it, even secured 2 internships at international law firms in Qatar (one was W&C). Courses? Done it (Thanks @Jaysen for all your efforts). Open Days? Done it. I feel like I'd only be noticed if there aren't many applicants applying to that one firm at that one cycle. I don't know what else I could do at this point. I wish a partner could just salvage me and bypass all the draining recruitment processes. It's even more difficult for me because I'm an international student whose sponsorship would be an "expensive gamble". I have the 2-year graduate visa, but I found no luck in relevant paralegal positions either.

I've reached a point where I'm creatively crafting excuses. I started playing the "disability" card. At first, I was diagnosed with comorbid depression and anxiety. Another doctor confirmed I have borderline ADHD. Others told me I'm suffering from autistic burnout but I cannot seek a diagnosis because it would put me at a serious disadvantage back home (where insurers and employers have access to medical documents). Not even the "Guaranteed Interview" process helped me. I remember being rejected post-app by a firm I wouldn't publicly mention. According to them, the "minimum requirements" extends beyond academics to other extracurriculars (which I had TONS of). They didn't even entertain looking into my matter personally. It was a generic answer over the phone.

I'm in so much pain.

Ambs123

Legendary Member
    Feb 19, 2021

This is my 3rd cycle (or 4th if I add first-year activities). I graduated last summer from the University of Birmingham with a very low 2:1 and extreme burnout. In second year, I almost failed Tort and Land owing to worsening mental health. I applied for mitigating circumstances hoping to re-sit these core modules, but uni told me "You passed and that's enough. Work harder next year and if you're sufficiently close to a first, we'll grant you a first". Considering how firms are very picky about Tort in particular, I felt very frustrated but moved on. In final year, I scored a high first, 3 2:1s, and a couple of high 2:2s. Very inconsistent, I know. Before that, I confidently disclosed mitigating circumstances based on what happened in second year, but then I felt like I had to justify the final-year inconsistencies too (that's also what @Jessica Booker told me). This also barred me from pursuing an LLM at the London Elite (KCL, UCL, LSE). I was already fed up, if not traumatised by my Birmingham experience.

Without a TC offer lined up and nothing better to do, I traveled to Amsterdam to pursue an LLM that I never wanted to do. I was mostly pleasing my Middle Eastern family that wanted me to keep going all the way to a PhD. It was a disaster - academic culture shock, panic attacks, frustration and failing. I ended up dropping out half a semester into it, and for now, I'm waiting to be rescued by a TC offer, or else I'd do the SQE prep.

VS/TC Applications also have a major contribution to my current burnout and despair. In second year, my applications were reviewed through a mentoring scheme and I was told I'd be "the miracle of that cycle" considering how "great" my submissions were. None of the applications went through. I got rejections either post-app or after passing the tests, except for a Linklaters AC (Middle East though, so the curve was lower), but that didn't go through either. In final year, the furthest I went through was an AC waitlist at DWF, and a first-stage interview for the SH Dubai VS (they ghosted me for 6 weeks after that interview, only to reject me for the STUPIDEST reasons. They could've just said "you came third best after the 2 candidates we could accommodate").

I did everything possible to maximise my applications. Workshops? Done it. Networking? Done it, even secured 2 internships at international law firms in Qatar (one was W&C). Courses? Done it (Thanks @Jaysen for all your efforts). Open Days? Done it. I feel like I'd only be noticed if there aren't many applicants applying to that one firm at that one cycle. I don't know what else I could do at this point. I wish a partner could just salvage me and bypass all the draining recruitment processes. It's even more difficult for me because I'm an international student whose sponsorship would be an "expensive gamble". I have the 2-year graduate visa, but I found no luck in relevant paralegal positions either.

I've reached a point where I'm creatively crafting excuses. I started playing the "disability" card. At first, I was diagnosed with comorbid depression and anxiety. Another doctor confirmed I have borderline ADHD. Others told me I'm suffering from autistic burnout but I cannot seek a diagnosis because it would put me at a serious disadvantage back home (where insurers and employers have access to medical documents). Not even the "Guaranteed Interview" process helped me. I remember being rejected post-app by a firm I wouldn't publicly mention. According to them, the "minimum requirements" extends beyond academics to other extracurriculars (which I had TONS of). They didn't even entertain looking into my matter personally. It was a generic answer over the phone.

I'm in so much pain.
    Hey, would you like to PM me? I’m sorry you’re going through this. Sometimes the answer ‘it’s just a hard and competitive process’ isn’t enough and doesn’t justify the mental stress and implications that it brings. I also have been really mentally struggling with this and also have been diagnosed with anxiety. It’s also my 3rd cycle and I haven’t had much luck this year. I do really know how you feel, maybe it would be good to talk?

CorporateCrocodile

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2022
    Hi all,

Thanks.
    I've applied this cycle and gotten through to the next stage. for 'Why Taylor Vinters' I wrote out two reasons long form (entrepreneurial outlook and small trainee intake) then cut out all the unnecessary stuff which whittled it down to 100 words. It's tough tho lol and I didn't get to mention all the points I wanted to make.

For the other question I spoke about the pressing threat of climate change.

Hope this helps!

EH96

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Hi, has anyone done either the Kennedys or Bird & Bird VIs and has any tips?

I think I read somewhere that Kennedys doesn't give much prep time?

Thanks!

bhbuygu

Valued Member
  • Dec 23, 2022

I'm in so much pain.
    I’m genuinely so sorry to hear you’ve been through all of this and truly wish you the best. It might be the case of applying to a greater number of firms to maximise your chances. I’m new to this process and it certainly seems random at times. All I can say is you’re clearly capable as you’ve gotten onto AC stages! I hope someone else on the forum has more solid advice! Best of luck once again :)

chocolatebagel

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 20, 2022

I'm in so much pain.
    I have posted before about my own mental struggles with this process. I don't have any advice, just want you to know you're not alone. There are a lot of us feeling this way and seeing that has helped me feel a bit better

lik0401

Legendary Member
  • Oct 30, 2022
    Hi everyone!

Does anyone who has done at AC with either Akin Gump (AG) or Linklaters (Links) have any advice, or mind PMing me? I would be really grateful for any help.

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    Hi guys, I’m a bit lost with understanding ESG. I had a case study interview on advising a manufacturer about ESG implications. (Didn’t expect that one coming) I feel like I could Have done better. Does anyone have any good articles they can recommend Please? Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    URGENT:

Hi everyone, today is the deadline for Taylor Vinters. Is it worth it if I complete the application and submit it tonight? They recruit on a rolling basis. Most firms say they don't fill their Assessment centers till after the deadline. Their Assessment Centre dates are as follows:

Tuesday 14 February

Wednesday 15 February

Tuesday 21 February

Wednesday 22 February

Wednesday 1 March

Thursday 2 March

Tuesday 7 March

Wednesday 8 March

Tuesday 14 March

Wednesday 15 March

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks.
    I’d still apply if it was me.

jomar

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 20, 2022
    Hi guys, I’m a bit lost with understanding ESG. I had a case study interview on advising a manufacturer about ESG implications. (Didn’t expect that one coming) I feel like I could Have done better. Does anyone have any good articles they can recommend Please? Thanks.
    Message me - have some advice if this is for the firm I think it was

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.