TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Hi everyone, how do you get over a nightmarish AC? I have absolutely failed my AC today, and I’ve been quite upset about it as they were one of my favourite firms. I have another AC on Friday for another firm, and I’m finding it hard to not drop out as this one went so disastrously :'(
You never know how it will go. Your past AC performance isn't known by the next firm. I had an awful interview for a TC at one firm and then got offered a VS at a firm I interviewed at not long after. Past performance isn't indicative of future results

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
You never know how it will go. Your past AC performance isn't known by the next firm. I had an awful interview for a TC at one firm and then got offered a VS at a firm I interviewed at not long after. Past performance isn't indicative of future results
Thank you for this. I guess I just need to do my best to learn from it (quickly!).

Reactions: FluffyPursian

FluffyPursian

Nov 22, 2022
Hi everyone, how do you get over a nightmarish AC? I have absolutely failed my AC today, and I’ve been quite upset about it as they were one of my favourite firms. I have another AC on Friday for another firm, and I’m finding it hard to not drop out as this one went so disastrously :'(
Hi there!

First off, sorry to hear about your AC. It takes a lot of work to get this far and it hurts when it doesn't work out the way you want it to :(

But also remember you're not the first to have had a bad assessment centre experience.

In this cycle, I was fortunate enough to get an AC for one of my favourite target firms, but when it came to the case study / presentation stage - I completely froze. The material was so different to what I expected, the questions so specific and relentless I had to do the old 'could you repeat the question' and 'I don't have an answer at this time' with my presentation lasting 5 out of 15 allotted minutes. Pretty mortifying. PFO followed soon after.

However, I've since gotten offers from other firms by integrating what went wrong during that AC. In my case, I requested feedback from the firm's HR, strengthened my own problem areas (i.e. commercial know-how) and practised competency style questions. With this in mind, I'd really encourage you to go for your next AC. Remember you just need one VS to fall right for you not ten and that different modes of assessment can suit you better.

So keep your spirits up, know that all of us have bad days and go knock your next AC out of the park!

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Hi there!

First off, sorry to hear about your AC. It takes a lot of work to get this far and it hurts when it doesn't work out the way you want it to :(

But also remember you're not the first to have had a bad assessment centre experience.

In this cycle, I was fortunate enough to get an AC for one of my favourite target firms, but when it came to the case study / presentation stage - I completely froze. The material was so different to what I expected, the questions so specific and relentless I had to do the old 'could you repeat the question' and 'I don't have an answer at this time' with my presentation lasting 5 out of 15 allotted minutes. Pretty mortifying. PFO followed soon after.

However, I've since gotten offers from other firms by integrating what went wrong during that AC. In my case, I requested feedback from the firm's HR, strengthened my own problem areas (i.e. commercial know-how) and practised competency style questions. With this in mind, I'd really encourage you to go for your next AC. Remember you just need one VS to fall right for you not ten and that different modes of assessment can suit you better.

So keep your spirits up, know that all of us have bad days and go knock your next AC out of the park!
Thank you for this - you’re right! I guess I’m just worried that they’ll all go badly wrong, but as you said all processes are slightly different ☺️

• 🤝
Reactions: FluffyPursian

lucychanning

Jan 16, 2023
Few Qs:

1. I haven't heard back from Covington & Burling, Freshfields, Ashurst and Mishcon at all. Is it safe to assume that I've been rejected from all three? I've completed a VI for Mishcon but I heard nothing from the other three and nothing on the application sites too after I sent in my application.

2. I completed an Osborne Clarke assessment and presentation, is the next step an interview or do I wait for a VS offer?
Hi - there is a second stage which is an interview for OC!! I think they send out offers once the AC's have been completed. I had mine today too!! Good luck

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 11, 2021
Has anyone heard back from Weil for their spring VS post-AC?

✅ - heard back with offer for spring VS post-AC
❌ - rejected from spring VS post-AC
👍 - completed video interview, have not been invited to AC
👎 - PFO post-video interview or PFO post-application form

For context this was my application timeline:
Application deadline - 10/01/23
I applied - 06/01/23
Received VI invite - 09/01/23
Completed VI - 13/01/23
Invited to AC - 19/01/23
Attended AC - 24/01/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.