TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
Maybe the more senior lawyers there are more white, but I don’t think you can honestly say law firms have a problem in regards to hiring people of colour.
Same with females of all ethnicities. On legal cheek, most law firms have a higher % of female associates.
Except Slaughter & May lol - I think they make absolutely no effort for diversity imo at least race and class wise

time2work

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 7, 2020
Maybe the more senior lawyers there are more white, but I don’t think you can honestly say law firms have a problem in regards to hiring people of colour.
Same with females of all ethnicities. On legal cheek, most law firms have a higher % of female associates.
I think you can honestly argue that law firms do have an issue in both hiring and retaining people of colour. Whilst many law firms are embracing diversity initiatives in the early recruitment stage, from my personal experience, it is rather difficult to integrate and feel culturally involved and confident in a rather homogenous environment. Unfortunately the glass ceiling still very much exists

dalia66

Star Member
Mar 30, 2022
Except Slaughter & May lol - I think they make absolutely no effort for diversity imo at least race and class wise
Yup, it's genuinely appalling. Also some of the most amazing, smartest people I know (all POC) were rejected post interview, with basically no negative feedback, just the whole 'it's very competitive' excuse. Lol.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021

I suspect you're right that women and BAME are generally better represented at trainee and associate levels (though it's unclear how consistent this is across firms). However, I'm actually not sure how Shearman does relative to the industry as a whole; I'd be curious to know what their breakdowns are.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I think that's half the problem, in our lifetime we will see greater diversity in the higher echelons of law firms, but for now, it is predominantly made up of the same fusty old pinstripe suit and braces brigade...

Logan1101

Distinguished Member
  • Jul 16, 2022
    I submitted my app to Norton Rose Fulbright and then realised they have a minimum 2.1 requirement for Tort and Contract.

I have a 73 in Tort and 57 in Contract, does this mean I'll get auto-rejected? My average in both is technically 65% and it seems like a silly requirement to have anyway, I emailed them about this so waiting to hear what they have to say.

Rina

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 14, 2021
    Yup, it's genuinely appalling. Also some of the most amazing, smartest people I know (all POC) were rejected post interview, with basically no negative feedback, just the whole 'it's very competitive' excuse. Lol.
    If it helps, I've had an offer as a non-Oxbridge, international university WOC :) The firm is definitely less diverse than other firms but to be fair it is harder as they don't hire laterally - takes longer for the change to be seen that way!

law2022x

Legendary Member
    Feb 21, 2022
    Yeah all the people I know there are middle class white Oxbridge grads...

I never bothered applying to them for this reason because even if they accepted me, I know how uncomfortable I'd feel. It's their loss anyway, this practice will catch up to them soon enough I hope.

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2023
    I submitted my app to Norton Rose Fulbright and then realised they have a minimum 2.1 requirement for Tort and Contract.

I have a 73 in Tort and 57 in Contract, does this mean I'll get auto-rejected? My average in both is technically 65% and it seems like a silly requirement to have anyway, I emailed them about this so waiting to hear what they have to say.
    Where have you seen this? I also have 57 in contract. I can’t imagine it’ll be auto reject no.

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023

I think the strictness of the minimum grade requirements probably differ from firm to firm, for some it's strict unless there are mitigating circumstances but for others it may just be a guideline. I'd say don't make any assumptions either way till you've heard back on them, and you already submitted the app so don't sweat too much!

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    yeah and ngl the comment "pale, male and stale" is a little offensive. Would not make a comment like this about other groups in regards to a diff profession.

sorry, probably shouldn't have used that phrase. when i was at vinson & elkins, the phrase was used by one of their female partners who basically leads the organisation 'arbitral women' (an amazing organisation for any aspiring women commercial lawyers who are interested in international arbitration). the phrase has basically been popular ever since they coined it, see this publication : https://ciarb.org/media/11400/aw-thac-the-power-of-gender-parity.pdf

but apologies in advance if i caused any offence x

Last edited:

Denver

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 20, 2020
    I think that's half the problem, in our lifetime we will see greater diversity in the higher echelons of law firms, but for now, it is predominantly made up of the same fusty old pinstripe suit and braces brigade...
    it's just that the 'fusty old pinstripe suit' people have power over work distribution or who makes partner etc. This is why things such as quotas exist as it aims to check biases as it has been shown that superiors tend to prefer (subconsciously) people with similar characteristics. I don't know if quotas exist in the legal industry tho

law2022x

Legendary Member
    Feb 21, 2022
    yes there is, I wrote a paper on it last year. It is partnership level where there is less representation and a huge part of this is issues with retention.
    Well was it peer reviewed? Just because you wrote a paper on it doesn't make it true. I can't think of any firm where there is a statistically significant overrepresentation of women or minorities at trainee level - would love if you name dropped some :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.