TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

marfra

Jan 31, 2023
may be somewhat off topic but has anybody read ‘bulls*it jobs’ by the anthropologist david graeber? curious to know if many others pursuing commercial law and undertaking the application process have read it

Reactions: newtothis

aspiring112

Standard Member
Feb 27, 2021
Reposting this!

👍 if still waiting
✅ if received positive response
❌ if received PFO
I had my AC on Tuesday. What they said was we were the last AC for the spring scheme. Grad rec was meeting Wednesday to discuss all the applicants from all the ACs and make their decision. Grad rec also said we would here back Thursday/Friday, latest by next week Tuesday. Still have been refreshing my email every 2 minutes though

F99

Legendary Member
Dec 1, 2021
I had my AC on Tuesday. What they said was we were the last AC for the spring scheme. Grad rec was meeting Wednesday to discuss all the applicants from all the ACs and make their decision. Grad rec also said we would here back Thursday/Friday, latest by next week Tuesday. Still have been refreshing my email every 2 minutes though
Thank you, this is really useful! Fingers crossed we all hear tomorrow :)

Reactions: aspiring112

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
Jan 12, 2022
may be somewhat off topic but has anybody read ‘bulls*it jobs’ by the anthropologist david graeber? curious to know if many others pursuing commercial law and undertaking the application process have read it

I've not finished it cover to cover yet, but the parts I have read do make me question commercial law as a career for me and the value I feel like I could add if I were to go down that route.

I'm a paralegal in a commercial firm atm and a lot of the work banking & finance and corporate lawyers do, for me personally, just doesn't feel valuable to me despite the amount of zeros the deals are worth.

I wouldn't blanketly call commercial law a bulls*it job by any means, but after aspiring to be a commercial lawyer all throughout university only to find out how dreadfully uninspiring it is in practice - like, I've never heard a solicitor speak about negotiating share purchase agreements with joy or seen anyone express a semblance of passion about drafting a debenture. It also doesn't help that clients are straight up delusional about deadlines and expect responses at antisocial times, which leads to solicitors being constantly stressed.

I think a career will feel like bulls*it job if you're just doing it because you feel like you should (for status & prestiege etc), rather than if you personally get any value out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.