TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
has anyone done MoFos 1st stage interview? Invite said there would be "technical" questions. Anyone know what this means? Is it just simple like "why would a company acquire another company" or actual technically hard stuff?

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
how long do people genuinely spend on AC/interview prep?

Honestly I do feel like the more I do the worse I perform. I have spent 3 whole days preparing for an interview once and I was such a nervous wreck just trying to recite rehearsed answers - I literally memorised answers to at least 20 questions.

I definitely feel that when I prep "why X firm", "why commercial law" and do some general reading around the firms recent deals/practice areas I perform so much better. There is 100% something to coming up with an answer on the spot and seeming more genuine.

Was wondering what other ppls thoughts are on this?

N_16

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 11, 2022

Honestly I do feel like the more I do the worse I perform. I have spent 3 whole days preparing for an interview once and I was such a nervous wreck just trying to recite rehearsed answers - I literally memorised answers to at least 20 questions.

I definitely feel that when I prep "why X firm", "why commercial law" and do some general reading around the firms recent deals/practice areas I perform so much better.

Completely agree! I always seem to do better when I have 'prepared' less. Obviously do still need to know enough about the firm, but when I don't prep my answers in advance, I always do better. I think it is because ultimately an interview is just as much about being able to answer the question as it is about thinking on the spot. If you're reciting pre-rehearsed answers, I think the interviewers can tell you are not really thinking, just reciting pre-memorised content. Plus, sometimes you respond with a pre-rehearsed answer that you think is answering their question, but really isn't.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
Completely agree! I always seem to do better when I have 'prepared' less. Obviously do still need to know enough about the firm, but when I don't prep my answers in advance, I always do better. I think it is because ultimately an interview is just as much about being able to answer the question as it is about thinking on the spot. If you're reciting pre-rehearsed answers, I think the interviewers can tell you are not really thinking, just reciting pre-memorised content. Plus, sometimes you respond with a pre-rehearsed answer that you think is answering their question, but really isn't.
100%. Think there is really something to coming across as genuine and quick

Reactions: Cryingtiger

jnice

Distinguished Member
Nov 19, 2020

I definitely feel that when I prep "why X firm", "why commercial law" and do some general reading around the firms recent deals/practice areas I perform so much better. There is 100% something to coming up with an answer on the spot and seeming more genuine.

For one of my ACs, I prepped for 2/3 weeks. I made sure not to memorise anything because it would seemed like I was performing a monologue as opposed to coming off natural/genuinely expressing my interest of working at the firm. for case studies - spent a week learning the content, another week doing case study practice and another doing interview practice; in between, I did mock interviews.

For context, I work full time, so my prep time was mostly after work and weekends.

Reactions: Cryingtiger

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
For one of my ACs, I prepped for 2/3 weeks. I made sure not to memorise anything because it would seemed like I was performing a monologue as opposed to coming off natural/genuinely expressing my interest of working at the firm. for case studies - spent a week learning the content, another week doing case study practice and another doing interview practice; in between, I did mock interviews.

For context, I work full time, so my prep time was mostly after work and weekends.
do you think this much prep actually helped you or would you say there were notable diminishing returns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.