TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for this.

Very cringe moving away from psychometric testing that reliably predicts workplace performance/ productivity
Can I ask how the WG reliably predicts workplace performance since it can be learned quite easily? My first WG score was just a little over the 50th percentile, after a few hours of practice, it was in the 75th percentile. It'll definitely screen out the people that are unwilling to practice the test but most people that meet the grade requirements for these jobs have a pretty good work ethic anyway. What I find cringe is the tests that almost seem like IQish tests (eg Simmons), those feel very antiquated.

LJ

Distinguished Member
Oct 17, 2022
do you guys think Travers will be doing further interview invites?? excuse me while I cry 😅 😅
This is just my thoughts and not with any inside knowledge but I would imagine so yes. They have 60 vac scheme places and because the interview is the main filter before VS, I guess they invite quite a few to interview. Considering they are calling each person to offer the interview, that is quite a time-consuming process which can't be done in one day. Plus there is always the prospect they need to interview more people because they haven't filled the VS spots from initial invites.

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
Application Cycle Review/ Vent
I applied to 23 firms this cycle. I did not pass the Hogan & Linklaters online assessments; however made it for A&O, Reed Smith and HSF but ultimately did not make it to the AC. I made it to the AC for WFW and Cleary but did not get a VS offer. I am honestly in despair because I am a third-year graduating soon and I don't have any legal work experience, let alone a training contract secured. These applications are honestly so tough, spending hours to research, write the apps, and then do more research and practice for VI/ACs, just to not get any offers and feel like you trying your hardest is not good enough. I know a lot of people feel the same way as me but well done everyone, we just have to learn and try again next cycle :* )
Hi, very sorry to hear. But on the flip side, many congratulations on getting to two ACs. That’s a fantastic achievement. I understand how you feel and if it’s any consolation, I am a postgraduate having completed my masters last year. I still don’t have a VS/TC and it honestly does not matter one bit. Timing’s not the issue in a TC process, it’s the effort and incremental improvements over a period of time that matter the most. I have spoken to so many people and witnessing how their career journeys transpired, it’s just a question of ‘when’ and not ‘if’

You're not losing out on anything, if at all you’ve gained considerable experience and leverage that by applying for direct TCs, definitely go for it and I’ve heard some amazing stories of people securing offers from the direct TC route without considerable legal experience. Just showcase your existing skills and tie that back to the firm and you’ll be absolutely fine. Good luck, I’m sure you will succeed soon!

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Anybody heard back from Dechert after completing their written assessment?
Just wanna know if i should have hope

got my rejection post written exercise and video interview yesterday, completed both in late january and early february (hopefully that offers some context for you).

also, they gave no feedback and i was like...

200w.gif

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
thanks for this.

Very cringe moving away from psychometric testing that reliably predicts workplace performance/ productivity
It might be that it doesn’t in their organisation. I have seen WG results have very different outcomes when it comes to analysing whether it’s a predictor of performance or not. Ultimately depends on how you measure performance in each law firm.

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
do you guys think Travers will be doing further interview invites?? excuse me while I cry 😅 😅
Honestly unsure as I was told in this email by GR on Feb 13th that they're hoping to get back to all applicants by end of the month.

So either there is another batch coming up or we're doomed ☹️!

1677185406064.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.