Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know if Slaughter and May checks your references only when you are successful? @Jessica Booker
I don’t know the specifics but I think they may ask when they invite you to interview (just your academic reference). I think a full employment check would be done only when you have accepted the offer.

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    I don’t know the specifics but I think they may ask when they invite you to interview (just your academic reference). I think a full employment check would be done only when you have accepted the offer.
    Can I ask what a full employment check consists of?

Is it just to call past employers to see if the work experience (employment) actually matches up with what you claim?

Reactions: lawapplicant

commerciallawyer2910

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2022
    Okay, thank you. I have a competing deadline and the grad recruitment said the partners will let me know once they have checked with my reference so I was just wondering if it meant anything! They don’t seem to have been in contact with my reference for the interview.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can I ask what a full employment check consists of?

Is it just to call past employers to see if the work experience (employment) actually matches up with what you claim?
    Written references that confirm your job title and employment dates, and cover any basic questions like: would you employ again; were there any performances or disciplinary issues?

aspiringlawyerr

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 7, 2022
    Does anyone have any insight into how long Dechert take to get back with a PFO or vac scheme offer post AC? Thank you!

(I know it can be up to 2 weeks but wondered if anyone heard back sooner)

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Written references that confirm your job title and employment dates, and cover any basic questions like: would you employ again; were there any performances or disciplinary issues?
    Hi, Jessica. Just a follow up question here, what if the employer says that he wouldn't want to employ again because he did not find our performance up to the mark. Do we lose our TC in that case?

rauljimii

Standard Member
    Feb 20, 2023
    Does anyone have advice for a DLA AC?
    It's divided into three exercises; group presentation, strengths-based interview and business presentation. For the group presentation, make sure to contribute, but also be considerate of other people and don't get their names mixed up! For the presentation and interview, it's only with a single partner, and remember to be yourself - the strengths-based questions can be answered on the spot, too (make sure not to sound rehearsed.) With an hour to prepare for the presentation, organise your time well and skim at least the whole pack (the accounts are there to throw you off - make sure to get a general sense of understanding) and 10 minutes to present. Make sure to hit all the deliverables, and you should be fine - they are not trying to catch you out, and the partners were super friendly! Good luck, and remember to talk to people!

Arthur

Standard Member
    Feb 11, 2023
    whats going on with slaughters post interview GUYS?!?!??! I interviewed on the 10th of feb and have got nothing yet? Have they sent out all PFOs and are checking references with successful candidates or can I still expect a PFO?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.