Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is this on a p46 type document? They may just be asking you for tax code purposes.
No - it will be a conflict check process which is separate to tax issues. They basically need to ensure there are no conflicts of interest with the work you do, even as a vacation scheme student.

Sarah T

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 9, 2020
    Has anyone ever experienced Partner interviews during AC, where the Partner does not seem interested in your answers? And kept cutting you up?
    I experienced this twice - I had one partner interview which was competency based and the partner rather than letting me complete the STAR structure of my answer broke it up with follow up questions just asking what they needed to know.

I also had an interview which was really time pressured and I felt that the partner tried to get me to wrap up my answers quite quickly. When they felt I had said enough they started to move on with the next question.

Sometimes I also think that when they have to make notes in the interview they can become a bit disconnected.

In both, I just tried to stay calm and take the cues from the interviewer as to what they wanted to hear more or less of. I wondered after if they were testing my grit under pressure or my adaptability. They both resulted in an offer in the end.

Sarah T

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 9, 2020
    😳😳😍😍🥰❤️🔥🔥🔥😍😍😳 Goodwin Summer Vac Scheme Offer 😩😩😩😩🥰😱💦💦💕♥️😳🔥😩😩😱😩✝️🐿️❤️🥰😱😱💦💕💕💦🔥🔥😱🔥😩🔥💦🔥💦🔥💦🔥😱🔥🥵🥵🥵🥵😩😳😳

[interviewed last Friday]
    Amazing congratulations!

• Love
    Reactions: Adrian_S

jessicamcnamara

Esteemed Member
    Jan 17, 2022
    Apologies in advance for this slightly cringy post but I just wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who helped me through this process - I have received a Direct Training Contract offer from Slaughter and May! Unexpectedly, I received a call from one of the Partners at 8:45pm last night! After rejections, awful WG tests, and being ghosted post-app, I couldn’t be happier with this offer.

As a WOC and someone with no formal legal experience, this is a huge relief. I found the whole process was really enjoyable and the Partners were lovely — while every firm has a reputation, I was pleasantly surprised at how friendly and welcoming they were, so don’t let hearsay dictate where you apply until you’ve experienced the firm yourself!

Wishing all of you the best, I’m sure you will all do great in securing offers. Feel free to PM me if you want any advice RE Slaughters :)
    This is amazing news congratulations!!!

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2023
    Can you help me with this please @Jessica Booker
    I was invited to a VI with one firm and didn’t complete it.
    For another firm I was invited to a VI and withdrew my application after.
    Can I apply to either of these firms for a direct TC this year? I can withdraw my application from first firm still if that helps?
    @Jessica Booker What if I make a new account with a different e-mail?

• Dislike
    Reactions: Seven

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @ZJ says no. the app questions are the same as VS so it's worth a try.

Would applying to a different office make any difference? Like they may not remember my name if i apply for a different office?
    If the application system is the same, they are going to recognise key details from your application and realise you are the same person. The application platform you apply to has some very basic software that identifies duplicate applicants.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Alison C and Seven

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    If the application system is the same, they are going to recognise key details from your application and realise you are the same person. The application platform you apply to has some very basic software that identifies duplicate applicants.
    Does it identify identical/similar apps yesr on year? Say you were to apply next year with a different name but same app to this year ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does it identify identical/similar apps yesr on year? Say you were to apply next year with a different name but same app to this year ?
    If they retain the data, then yes. However, data policies may suggest that applicant data is only held for 6-18 months from a certain point (either from applying, the application opening, or the vacancy closing).

How they identify it isn't by what you write in an application though - it is in the details you provide like the year your degree course runs, a postcode, names etc. It will pick up someone who tried to use a shortened name, middle name or some other form of an alias. It doesn't always get it 100% accurate, but it just creates a flag to say "its likely this person has applied before" and can take you to their application.

Reactions: CorpLawyer00
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.