TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucychanning

Jan 16, 2023
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

I have been offered the choice between a week long easter scheme vs a two week summer scheme at a London firm. For context, the summer scheme overlaps with my graduation which I don't yet have a specific date for, i just know that it will be within that week.

Does anyone have any ideas about whether doing a week vs two would hinder my chance of conventing the scheme into a TC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

I have been offered the choice between a week long easter scheme vs a two week summer scheme at a London firm. For context, the summer scheme overlaps with my graduation which I don't yet have a specific date for, i just know that it will be within that week.

Does anyone have any ideas about whether doing a week vs two would hinder my chance of conventing the scheme into a TC?

I’d go with the dates that work best for you. There are too many variables to say 1 week vs 2 weeks is more likely to result in a TC/better approach to take in the hope of securing one.

sdsou

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 31, 2021
Hi everyone, apologies for the rookie question but I'm trying to learn more about private equity, please bear with me!

I'm looking at the Legal 500 list of Private Equity high value deals [https://www.legal500.com/c/london/c...te-equity-transactions-high-value-deals-250m/] and I see that Blackstone, for example, is counted as a client for nearly every firm on the list.

Could someone please explain how that works - does this mean that they have retained a roster of firms, or maybe they give certain parts of a deal to a certain firm? Although I don't quite understand why they'd do that (wouldn't it make more sense to just go to one firm for a full-service offering for their deal?) ALso, if Blackstone is a client for every firm, how best would one talk about a particular firm's key clients?

I would really appreciate any insights, thank you!

Aga123+

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    Hi everyone, apologies for the rookie question but I'm trying to learn more about private equity, please bear with me!

I'm looking at the Legal 500 list of Private Equity high value deals [https://www.legal500.com/c/london/c...te-equity-transactions-high-value-deals-250m/] and I see that Blackstone, for example, is counted as a client for nearly every firm on the list.

Could someone please explain how that works - does this mean that they have retained a roster of firms, or maybe they give certain parts of a deal to a certain firm? Although I don't quite understand why they'd do that (wouldn't it make more sense to just go to one firm for a full-service offering for their deal?) ALso, if Blackstone is a client for every firm, how best would one talk about a particular firm's key clients?

I would really appreciate any insights, thank you!
    This article might help shed some light: https://www.law.com/international-e...hich-law-firms-they-use-in-the-uk-and-europe/

Also, for learning about private equity (this course really helped me - https://www.coursera.org/learn/private-equity)

• Love
    Reactions: sdsou

11dunnr

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 30, 2022
    It starts on 28th doesn't it? I'd say there's still some time left tbh. I'm pretty sure that the accepted people will get contacted next week and they'll leave the pfos until later
    It starts on 28th doesn't it? I'd say there's still some time left tbh. I'm pretty sure that the accepted people will get contacted next week and they'll leave the pfos until later
    I was thinking more if they’re running ACs, unless they’ve already ran them then I’d assume a PFO. Either way though you’re right there is still time just hard not to obsess

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker. The work experience section on one of my applications is asking me to tick if the experiences I list are "SQE Qualifying Work Experience"....this is for a direct TC application but I am confused why that would matter and if it will be taken into consideration by the firm in any way? Also, how do I know if a work experience fits the SQE criteria?
    Hi @Jessica Booker - grateful for your thoughts on this. Thank you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.