Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Guys, I applied for a smaller firm and was rejected after an interview. The firm do not offer feedback, unfortunately. Would it be too cheeky to message/text the interviewer for feedback (I have their number as they contacted me on it)? I just want some feedback on how I can improve- but, at the same time, I want to respect their privacy/not be a pain.
I wouldn’t do this. You are basically trying to get around a decision already made, and that is rarely a good look.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker - grateful for your thoughts on this. Thank you!
I would only tick this box if you know the work accounts for QWE and whether you will get it signed off.

Firms will definitely take it into account as it could impact how soon you qualify - you may not need the full two years of the TC before you qualify as a lawyer.

• ℹ️
Reactions: sibs23

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    I would only tick this box if you know the work accounts for QWE and whether you will get it signed off.

Firms will definitely take it into account as it could impact how soon you qualify - you may not need the full two years of the TC before you qualify as a lawyer.
    Thanks @Jessica Booker - that is very helpful. Though, do you think having a certain amount of qualifying work experience could negatively impact my application? Would firms prefer candidates who do not have (a lot of) qualifying work experience? Should I worry that firms might think there is no point offering me a TC when I can obtain the necessary work experience to self-qualify?

• 🤝
    Reactions: BeGrateful.101

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    Hi guys,
    For a 'tell me about yourself' question - do you guys think it's good to start answering from current experience and look back to the past or to talk through how I got here from where I started..

Klawdabbe

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Apr 9, 2022
    if you don’t finish a written exercise in the allotted time, could you still be offered a VS? Like if everything else went well?
    Definitely still possible. I thought I flopped the written exercise and didn't finish it but I still got a VS at that same firm. Haven't got feedback yet but my Interview and other exercises must have been good

• 🏆
    Reactions: SuccessfulSolicitor

sdsou

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 31, 2021
    genuine question: is it appropriate to wear classic doc martens to an interview?? they have a regular sole, plus my trousers would cover the laces so it's only the yellow stitching that would be visible,, i know it's not ideal but i've heard it might snow on the day and really don't want to end up with frost bitten feet 😭

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks @Jessica Booker - that is very helpful. Though, do you think having a certain amount of qualifying work experience could negatively impact my application? Would firms prefer candidates who do not have (a lot of) qualifying work experience? Should I worry that firms might think there is no point offering me a TC when I can obtain the necessary work experience to self-qualify?
    I think there is a risk if you are going to get more than 6 months signed off. The reality is you could qualify early in those instances and the firm could lose you to competitors who are willing to count your previous QWE. It’s a bit of an unknown though - the legal sector hasn’t really had to experience this before. But if you look at the Big 4 accounting firms and graduate programmes with CFA qualifications, they are often a little concerned about taking people on for this exact same reason.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    if you don’t finish a written exercise in the allotted time, could you still be offered a VS? Like if everything else went well?
    Yes - plenty of people won’t finish the exercise (they are usually designed in this way). It doesn’t mean you are unsuccessful though.

• 🏆
    Reactions: SuccessfulSolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys,
    For a 'tell me about yourself' question - do you guys think it's good to start answering from current experience and look back to the past or to talk through how I got here from where I started..
    I don’t think there is a set answer to this. You have to use a structure that works for you. Really focus on your USPs - don’t tell them everything - tell them the 3-4 points that are most interesting/relevant to your candidacy for the role/unique to you.

You want to say what ever you do say in w way that is impactful and memorable.

• 🤝
    Reactions: BeGrateful.101
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.