TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
Could anyone help me to understand the timelines for potential Training Contract start dates on the back of a Vacation Scheme? I have managed to secure a Vacation Scheme for this Summer (July 2023) at one of my favourite firms and as I understand it, at the end of the scheme there is an opportunity to interview for a training contract place at the firm. In the event that I was successful at obtaining a TC place off the back of the vac scheme, would the firm be likely to offer this to start SQE prep the coming September (September 2023) or would I expect this to commence the following September (2024)?
Congrats! If your vacation scheme is this summer, then (for most firms) the corresponding intake for a training contract is 2025, so you would commence the SQE in 2024.

N_16

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 11, 2022
Congrats! If your vacation scheme is this summer, then (for most firms) the corresponding intake for a training contract is 2025, so you would commence the SQE in 2024.
Question on the back of this - as a non law student I would need to do some form of a conversion course so I would start this in September 2023 and then do the SQE in 2024 right? Just want to triple check this!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How recent should a recent deal be if asked to talk about one at interview?
Less than 12-18 months in my opinion. Ideally in the last six months if you can but up to 18 months is generally fine.

Sometimes very unique deals that only happen once in a lifetime can be used though.

jomar

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2022
@Jessica Booker or anyone else.. need some help - just submitted a Vero background check, put down all the information required, but they dont even ask for emails/contact details of people at the organisations I worked for? Do they just randomly contact HR? This is so concerning. Please give me clarity.

refy

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 19, 2021
@Jessica Booker or anyone else.. need some help - just submitted a Vero background check, put down all the information required, but they dont even ask for emails/contact details of people at the organisations I worked for? Do they just randomly contact HR? This is so concerning. Please give me clarity.

Hey - I've had to do this for a vac scheme recently and I think they randomly contact HR. If they don't reach anyone, they'll email you (they did this for me when they couldn't find a company website for one of my checks)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Usually you would have to give contact details. I can only think if they already have the companies on their database that they would know who to contact. But this wouldn’t work for small companies or many companies outside of the U.K. - it would only really apply to companies that have 100s of employees.

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
@Jessica Booker I know firms let you know post-ac to tell them if you have conflicting offers for an earlier response, but do you think asking them for an early reply so i don't have to attend another AC will suffice? If I get the offer I won't attend the other AC, and by not attending the AC i'll save £100+ on train tickets + travel and accommodation in London, food etc. and won't have to skip Uni.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I know firms let you know post-ac to tell them if you have conflicting offers for an earlier response, but do you think asking them for an early reply so i don't have to attend another AC will suffice? If I get the offer I won't attend the other AC, and by not attending the AC i'll save £100+ on train tickets + travel and accommodation in London, food etc. and won't have to skip Uni.
Yes, you could position it this way, although the firm may still not be able to give you an answer earlier.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Usually you would have to give contact details. I can only think if they already have the companies on their database that they would know who to contact. But this wouldn’t work for small companies or many companies outside of the U.K. - it would only really apply to companies that have 100s of employees.
Do you happen to know what happens if one of the companies you’ve worked for no longer exists?

jomar

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2022
Is it fine to upload documents like reference letters without being asked to on Vero? Once I submitted, they then give you an option to upload documents.

rosec

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2022
I have always been told that mid-2020 should be the latest so max 2 years. But others might have a shorter time frame than me.
Less than 12-18 months in my opinion. Ideally in the last six months if you can but up to 18 months is generally fine.

Sometimes very unique deals that only happen once in a lifetime can be used though.
thank you so much for your responses!! 😊

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do you happen to know what happens if one of the companies you’ve worked for no longer exists?
They will usually contact you to see if you can get any alternative proof - for instance from another ex employee or ask for bank statements as evidence of payment

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it fine to upload documents like reference letters without being asked to on Vero? Once I submitted, they then give you an option to upload documents.
Yes, if they give you that functionality, then you can do so. It’s not necessary to do so though, and they will still seek the reference directly.

N_16

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 11, 2022
Is it fine to email Vero with the contact details of people you worked with, so that they don't have to randomly track people down?
I was thinking the same thing because some of these experiences happened years ago and I was only with the firm for a few days to a week (for work experience etc) - surely it's better to provide a reference? Maybe you can enter one in the additional information section on the Vero form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.