TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! Got some slightly unique circumstances and would be really grateful for any advice - without going into too much detail, I have some good legal work experience with my dad's company from a few years ago, which I obviously mentioned on my application forms, but since applying, a whole lot of drama has unfolded and I'm no longer on speaking terms with my dad. I'm now worried about background checks since I'd really prefer that firms didn't contact him (I'm nervous about him knowing my future plans, apart from anything else), but I'm not sure how to bring this up to grad rec, or if it's just something I'm going to have to deal with?

When I've done similar pre-employment checks in the past, I've mentioned that it's my father's company in case it was a conflict of interest for him to give me a reference, but the company just said they had to contact all previous employers and asked him for a reference regardless, which wasn't a problem until now! Obviously I won't be mentioning this work experience in future application cycles to avoid having to deal with this again next year - it's a shame because it's proved useful to talk about in interviews but doesn't seem worth this stress!!

• 🤝
Reactions: HopefulFutureTrainee123

readylawyer1

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 16, 2021
Hi everyone, I also have a similar situation, where I left a volunteering position at a charity but maybe not in the best terms, would they want to contact supervisors at volunteering positions or just official jobs?

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Hi everyone, I also have a similar situation, where I left a volunteering position at a charity but maybe not in the best terms, would they want to contact supervisors at volunteering positions or just official jobs?
I might be wrong here, but if they're not listed as one of your referees I assume they'll only want to know factual info (eg. dates you were there, position within the company, etc), and won't actually ask if you were a good employee? So I imagine it won't matter too much if you didn't leave on good terms, unless they're just petty enough to not reply to any contact from the background checker (and that won't reflect badly on you).

readylawyer1

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 16, 2021
I might be wrong here, but if they're not listed as one of your referees I assume they'll only want to know factual info (eg. dates you were there, position within the company, etc), and won't actually ask if you were a good employee? So I imagine it won't matter too much if you didn't leave on good terms, unless they're just petty enough to not reply to any contact from the background checker (and that won't reflect badly on you).
Thank youu! You have no idea how much this helps calm my anxiety!

lawstudent22

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2022
Has anyone who filled out V&E's acceptance form heard back? I thought we'd get confirmation the next business day, but I've heard nothing since I filled out the form at the weekend.

• Dislike
Reactions: HMT
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.