TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

LL

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 22, 2021
I messed up one question in my TC interview, would you say that will ruin my chances at getting the opportunity? Hate this :/
Depending on the firm, what the question was, and how badly you messed it up.

If it makes you feel better, I also messed up a few questions during my AC and this was confirmed in my post-AC feedback, where the grad recruiter listed some questions that I also felt like I had answered badly. However, I still passed the AC which just goes to show that firms hardly expect perfection.

Do you think the online assessment will be a pass/fail situation or whether it’ll be viewed holistically with the rest of the application (written app)
On their FAQ they say they operate on a tiered system where each stage gets you to the next. From what I can tell, the application and assessment are considered separate stages, in which case the assessment will be judged completely separately.

Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Ambs123

Legendary Member
Feb 19, 2021
Depending on the firm, what the question was, and how badly you messed it up.

If it makes you feel better, I also messed up a few questions during my AC and this was confirmed in my post-AC feedback, where the grad recruiter listed some questions that I also felt like I had answered badly. However, I still passed the AC which just goes to show that firms hardly expect perfection.
That definitely made me feel better! Thanks for response :) I really do appreciate it. And congrats on passing your AC :)

solba

Star Member
Premium Member
Nov 23, 2022
how much does the order of preference in terms of office locations matter when your app’s being assessed? i put office A as my first option for shoosmiths and office B as my second option but now would actually rather B as my first. Is it worth emailing grad rec asking to switch or should I wait for the final outcome first?

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Just had my interview with W&C. @Jessica Booker Can I ask from a grad rec perspective, what differentiates people at interview? I'm assuming everyone is impressive already, so really intrigued to know what they like and what differentiates all the talented people who make it to the final stage.

I would find it difficult myself if I interviewed people because I am sure more people do really well in an interview than do not.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just had my interview with W&C. @Jessica Booker Can I ask from a grad rec perspective, what differentiates people at interview? I'm assuming everyone is impressive already, so really intrigued to know what they like and what differentiates all the talented people who make it to the final stage.

I would find it difficult myself if I interviewed people because I am sure more people do really well in an interview than do not.
    Not everyone will be impressive in all honesty. Some people can write a good application or have impressive achievements, but then don’t really show the skills and motivations needed at interview.

Even if we remove the people that fall into those categories, there isn’t one thing that differentiates people, especially across opportunities or firms. Some people do well in areas but just fall down in certain assessments or competencies. What those are will always be different from person to person.

rosec

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2022
    I know every firm may be different but generally speaking, do firms usually take everything into account (your written application, maybe VIs etc.) when deciding to give you an offer or do they solely base it off of interview/ AC performance?

Reactions: Ali A

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    how much does the order of preference in terms of office locations matter when your app’s being assessed? i put office A as my first option for shoosmiths and office B as my second option but now would actually rather B as my first. Is it worth emailing grad rec asking to switch or should I wait for the final outcome first?
    What stage are you at in the process?

Fd321

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 3, 2023
    @Jessica Booker hi :) I have seen some firms put on their website that they are not formally running a trainee recruitment scheme for 2025 but are accepting speculative applications. Do you think this would mean that the competition would be less fierce as obviously less people are likely to make speculative apps? Or do you think the reason for why they’re not advertising TCs is because they already know who will be filling their spots? As it seems in other years they have advertised TCs? Thanks

hopefulfuturetrainee24

Jan 17, 2023
    To people who do not have accommodation in their VS location, do you usually book a hotel for this duration? I currently face this predicament...
    The vac scheme I did last year - there were a few people staying in hotels as they had travelled. Some stayed for the full 2 weeks while others stayed Sunday-Thursday travelling home on Friday night to save a bit of money. No one outside the area (Birmingham) commuted, but there were train strikes during these 2 weeks which may have affected their decision. If it’s somewhere like London I’d book early to avoid availability getting filled up :)

Reactions: Aditya_o2

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    To people who do not have accommodation in their VS location, do you usually book a hotel for this duration? I currently face this predicament...
    Halls of residence I would say are the most commonly used in summer anyway.

Hotels are typically quite expensive, although I have heard of vac schemers getting good deals for long stays in Premier Inns/Travelodges.

Increasingly seen people use AirBnB too.

solba

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 23, 2022
    What stage are you at in the process?
    Hi Jessica, I’ve already completed the test which is the final stage for the vacation scheme, but there’s still an AC for the training contract later on if you’re successful. They use the same application for both so you can be unsuccessful for the VS and still get a training contract AC (which is what the office location preference is for).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.