Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone, looking for some advice. I'm currently in a very fortunate position where I have just received 2 vacation schemes offers on the same day but they unfortunately overlap slightly. The first offer is with my dream firm and I immediately accepted it, the second offer came a few hours later from a different firm that I am also really interested in. The second VS overlaps with the first one by 2 days - the initial 2 days of the second VS which overlap with the 1st VS are meant to be online induction days. I would love to be able to attend both - does anybody have any experience with a similar situation? Is it okay to ask a firm if you could delay their VS because you have already accepted another VS (both of these are Spring VS and both firms are also holding Summer schemes)? @Jessica Booker do you have any advice regarding this?
I would ask the second firm whether you could move to the summer scheme, explaining you are committed to another firm for the first two days of their Spring scheme.

You do have to be prepared that you may have to turn down the offer though. This is very common and one of the downsides of securing multiple schemes.

The firm might be able to move you to summer with no problem though. It really depends on their views on this, which you will only understand if you talk to them directly about this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
with regard to direct TCs, do firms tend to favour applicants who have graduated and/or done the SQE/LPC or paralegal work? I am in my third year of law so feel my chances may be slim with Direct TC routes...
Generally no - the exception is when the TC is starting fairly soon and a final-year student wouldn't have enough time to start a TC and do their legal qualifications.

rosec

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2022
Hi, do firms tend to repeat question types in application forms and video interviews or do they switch it up? For instance, if you already had a news story question in the application would they ask for another in the video interview?
I think that certain questions are very likely to be repeated e.g. why law/ the firm/ you. Other questions might be asked from a different angle. Maybe you could anticipate other questions they might ask seeing as you've already provided a written answer, like a recent deal/ legal development/ challenge facing law firms etc. Asking about a recent news story is a relatively common question though so there's no harm in preparing it again just in case.

SuccessfulSolicitor

Distinguished Member
Feb 24, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker ,

I just found out that I failed post-AC for White & Case for their summer scheme and I was wondering if you think I’d be better off trying for winter next year than summer.

I feel like my AC went really well (I haven’t received any feedback from White & Case despite this being the final round) so I feel like it’s an issue of other spaces being takes by candidates so the competition is more fierce for summer schemes than it would be in winter.

What is your opinion?

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Hi @Jessica Booker ,

I just found out that I failed post-AC for White & Case for their summer scheme and I was wondering if you think I’d be better off trying for winter next year than summer.

I feel like my AC went really well (I haven’t received any feedback from White & Case despite this being the final round) so I feel like it’s an issue of other spaces being takes by candidates so the competition is more fierce for summer schemes than it would be in winter.

What is your opinion?
    Hi,

Can I ask if W&C give the option for feedback after the AC?

Reactions: SuccessfulSolicitor
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.