TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I recently emailed HR of a firm to ask if there was any flexibility in their VS dates because it clashed with another VS. They were very passive aggressive about it and now I'm a little anxious to call to renege on the offer (there was no way of avoiding the clash). I thought clashes and reneging, whilst not ideal, were not uncommon. @Jessica Booker do you have any insight on how I should approach this? Thank you!

Reactions: UnTCSilVousPlait

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, I recently emailed HR of a firm to ask if there was any flexibility in their VS dates because it clashed with another VS. They were very passive aggressive about it and now I'm a little anxious to call to renege on the offer (there was no way of avoiding the clash). I thought clashes and reneging, whilst not ideal, were not uncommon. @Jessica Booker do you have any insight on how I should approach this? Thank you!
They are common, so much so that firms will have their own decisions on how to deal with such requests/conversations. For many firms, it will be a case of effectively saying "well if you are not going to choose us over another firm, there is little we can do", which is how the passive aggressive tone can potentially be read, and especially if you accepted and then reneged. That shows you didn't withdraw from other processes and wanted to try and get a better offer (from your perspective).

I wouldn't overthink this though - you ultimately just need to turn them down. You can reference your disappointment in having to make that decision and hope that you might be able to be considered for future opportunities with the firm, but that you will no longer be proceeding with your offer/acceptance and wish the firm all the best for the programme.

Reactions: newtothis

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
been through the same - just email, thank them for the opportunity and say you had to make a really difficult choice but cant do their scheme unless there is flexibility or whatever. Wouldn't worry about them being passive aggressive, they are just annoyed that they will have to find someone else or run the scheme with one less but it happens all the time. DO not feel bad about these firms, yes, lots of the people at these firms are nice but ultimately you are just a number to them. They will manage you out in a recession or if you are not billing enough - do not feel bad for screwing them once! Look at Goodwin and Kirklands recent layoffs - brutal world.
I don't think the last few sentences of this are fair.

The "you are just a number of them" could equally be said of candidates who are turning down/reneging offers. Clearly the firm they are doing this to isn't a priority. Just as much as firms could manage them out, the same could be said of candidates who just use the firm as a leg up - whether that be to build their CV up or just to train with and then jump ship upon qualification.

Loyalty works both ways, and ultimately if you are turning down a firm/reneging on them, it is your loyalty that is more in question than the firm's.

Bubbles

Legendary Member
Jan 19, 2022
How long should it be left before chasing a firm for expenses? Submitted mine about a month ago. In no major rush so happy to wait but also don't want to have been forgotten!
Omg please send them follow up emails, don't just leave it even if you're not in a rush. I've been waiting for 3 months now and my last follow up wasn't even answered.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How long should it be left before chasing a firm for expenses? Submitted mine about a month ago. In no major rush so happy to wait but also don't want to have been forgotten!
As it’s a month, I would chase up.

These things sometimes have a particular date of the month to process (with some firms it can be weekly though), and so given it has been a month, I think it is worthwhile chasing now.

been through the same - just email, thank them for the opportunity and say you had to make a really difficult choice but cant do their scheme unless there is flexibility or whatever. Wouldn't worry about them being passive aggressive, they are just annoyed that they will have to find someone else or run the scheme with one less but it happens all the time. DO not feel bad about these firms, yes, lots of the people at these firms are nice but ultimately you are just a number to them. They will manage you out in a recession or if you are not billing enough - do not feel bad for screwing them once! Look at Goodwin and Kirklands recent layoffs - brutal world.
Thank you for your response and advice! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who had this experience

They are common, so much so that firms will have their own decisions on how to deal with such requests/conversations. For many firms, it will be a case of effectively saying "well if you are not going to choose us over another firm, there is little we can do", which is how the passive aggressive tone can potentially be read, and especially if you accepted and then reneged. That shows you didn't withdraw from other processes and wanted to try and get a better offer (from your perspective).

I wouldn't overthink this though - you ultimately just need to turn them down. You can reference your disappointment in having to make that decision and hope that you might be able to be considered for future opportunities with the firm, but that you will no longer be proceeding with your offer/acceptance and wish the firm all the best for the programme.
Thank you for your response! I really appreciate the insight and your help and I will take on board your advice.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I will do Jessica. However, I am a bit worried that my constant emails would be seen as passive-aggressive and might affect a potential TC application - do you think grad rec would look at this negatively..?
No - it’s their job to sort this out. It’s not going to impact your application unless you were rude about it.

Constant emails would be emailing every few days. If you haven’t emailed for a couple of weeks, it is fine to chase up.

Reactions: Bubbles

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
Hi guys - does anybody know the conversion rate from vacation scheme to training contract at Baker McKenzie?
Looking for the answer to the same question.
Maybe this will help?

Although, in 2021 the TC offers as per LegalCheek was 33, but now they are 40. So I would expect they have more spaces?

Pro tip: I would connect with any Future Trainee on LinkedIn and ask them about their experience during their VS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.