TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Wazaoski

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 12, 2018
GOODWIN SPRING VS OFFER!!! my second vac scheme offer of my first application cycle this is crazy you guysss alwaysss believe in yourself!
Hey, congratulations! Do you have any tips for the written application answers? I am applying for the direct TC route and was wondering if there was anything you added which you feel helped you stand out.

Thanks and well done!

jomar

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2022
Quick question re: living grant for PGDL and now SQE1/2.

Say a firm gives you 15K..

Is that over supposed to be used for the two years for both courses at ULaw/BPP, or is it 15K PER year for each of the PGDL and SQE1/2?

@Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Quick question re: living grant for PGDL and now SQE1/2.

Say a firm gives you 15K..

Is that over supposed to be used for the two years for both courses at ULaw/BPP, or is it 15K PER year for each of the PGDL and SQE1/2?

@Jessica Booker
I don't think you can assume either unfortunately. I would check with the specific wording the firm states on their website for clarity.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
I have a vacation scheme coming up and I’ve never done one before. Does anyone have any pointers on what to wear for socials during the vacation scheme? Any tips would be appreciated.

@Jessica Booker it would be great to hear your opinion on this as well.
Would also love an answer to this! And a related question - are vac schemers generally expected/allowed to join in with casual Friday dressing, if a firm has this? @Jessica Booker thanks :)

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2022
I have a vacation scheme coming up and I’ve never done one before. Does anyone have any pointers on what to wear for socials during the vacation scheme? Any tips would be appreciated.

I recently just did a vac scheme, all our socials were either after or between work. We all wore what we were usually wearing on the scheme, didn't change anything unless appropriate footwear was required for certain events. E.g. if going bowling wear flats unless you wanna change in to bowling shoes.

Reactions: FutureLawyer99

FutureLawyer99

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Dec 28, 2021
I recently just did a vac scheme, all our socials were either after or between work. We all wore what we were usually wearing on the scheme, didn't change anything unless appropriate footwear was required for certain events. E.g. if going bowling wear flats unless you wanna change in to bowling shoes.
Thanks so much for this insight Ameliaa

Reactions: Ameliaa

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

It really depends what the social is and the dress code of the firm.

For things that are more active then just wearing something comfortable will be important. If it is something like a formal dinner, you may just want to wear what you wear to the office that day and dress it down slightly (e.g. remove jackets/ties).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would also love an answer to this! And a related question - are vac schemers generally expected/allowed to join in with casual Friday dressing, if a firm has this? @Jessica Booker thanks :)
Yes - Interns are employees and the policy will apply to everyone.

But one thing about dress down Fridays is that there are exceptions - if you have a client meeting you may find you will still need to wear formal business attire that day.

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2022
Hi guys

Got an offer for a TC from a firm. Although I have done the LPC, they are requiring me to do the SQE as well. Has anyone experienced this with other firms?
Congratulations!! A lot of firms are now completely transitioning to the SQE, I've seen many state that they would require LPC Grads to do the SQE. You're exempt from SQE1 if you've done the LPC but will have to sit SQE 2.

The firm I did a vac scheme for have space for two intakes. They said that their 2024 intake won't have to do the SQE if they've done the LPC, but their 2025 intake would. So really think it depends on the firm and what stage they are in regarding their transition to qualifying via the SQE

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.