Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, I just got a job + TC offer in-house with a global company! I'm so very happy and I want to thank you all for advice and words of encouragement! This forum helped me immensely, whether it was applications or just general motivation. 🙏

If anyone wants to message me about the in-house life in the future, feel free to do so!
Amazing news - congratulations! It’s nice to see some alternatives to private practice TCs too!
happy d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

rayemuse

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022
    Got a call that I received a TC offer from a firm I really like! It hasn’t been the smoothest journey esp after all the rejections + worrying abt my 2nd year grades and my visa situation as an international student but I’m so grateful for all the guidance and motivation from the TCLA forum and community. If anyone sees my posts in the future and want some advice/support please don’t hesitate to reach out 😄

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Got a call that I received a TC offer from a firm I really like! It hasn’t been the smoothest journey esp after all the rejections + worrying abt my 2nd year grades and my visa situation as an international student but I’m so grateful for all the guidance and motivation from the TCLA forum and community. If anyone sees my posts in the future and want some advice/support please don’t hesitate to reach out 😄
    Yet more good news on the forums! Congratulations and very well done!

Well Done Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

chirag12

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 17, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker ,
    I just wanted to ask a question based on your experience as a recruiter for law firms. I know about the general stuff that makes your application stand out for example making the application firm-specific, being commercially aware, having extracurriculars, and having previous legal work experience.

I just wanted to ask if there has ever been a time when an application has stood out for something very uncommon to see as a recruiter. Something a firm would be extremely impressed by which doesn't include the general things.

Also just wanted to say since finding out about this forum, it has helped me so much so thanks. I will definitely become a paid member once it's application season for the vacation scheme!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker ,
    I just wanted to ask a question based on your experience as a recruiter for law firms. I know about the general stuff that makes your application stand out for example making the application firm-specific, being commercially aware, having extracurriculars, and having previous legal work experience.

I just wanted to ask if there has ever been a time when an application has stood out for something very uncommon to see as a recruiter. Something a firm would be extremely impressed by which doesn't include the general things.

Also just wanted to say since finding out about this forum, it has helped me so much so thanks. I will definitely become a paid member once it's application season for the vacation scheme!
    Yes - this happens all the time. People leverage their uniqueness and emphasise how that helps them potentially be a better future lawyer and that helps them stand out.

In many ways, trying to fit into the expectations of an application Is where many people go wrong because it become bland/predictable.

I have used this analogy for years, and it isn’t always the best one, but think about your application like a cake recipe. Yes, there are common ingredients that everyone needs to be a good applicant, like the things you have listed out in your post and they are things like the flour, fats, liquids in a cake recipe. However, the reality is it’s the individual flavours or sometimes combination of those flavours that makes one cake recipe stand out from the rest, and the same applies with applications. Those flavours are your unique experiences/skill set/motivations. Sometime the boldest “flavours” do capture people’s attention more!

chirag12

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 17, 2023
    Yes - this happens all the time. People leverage their uniqueness and emphasise how that helps them potentially be a better future lawyer and that helps them stand out.

In many ways, trying to fit into the expectations of an application Is where many people go wrong because it become bland/predictable.

I have used this analogy for years, and it isn’t always the best one, but think about your application like a cake recipe. Yes, there are common ingredients that everyone needs to be a good applicant, like the things you have listed out in your post and they are things like the flour, fats, liquids in a cake recipe. However, the reality is it’s the individual flavours or sometimes combination of those flavours that makes one cake recipe stand out from the rest, and the same applies with applications. Those flavours are your unique experiences/skill set/motivations. Sometime the boldest “flavours” do capture people’s attention more!
    Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your reply,

I want to stand out in applications when I apply for vacation schemes this year and this is so helpful. I will defo make sure to leverage my uniqueness.

Also wanted to ask if it would be a good idea to start a law blog and if it would be useful for vacation scheme applications.

islay6_5

Standard Member
    Feb 9, 2023
    I failed to convert a vacation scheme this Summer at a firm I really liked. They have offered a call to discuss feedback. I just wondered if anyone had any advice for the sorts of questions that might be appropriate to ask during a feedback call and whether it is appropriate to ask if the firm would still be open to receiving future applications from rejected candidates in next years cycle?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your reply,

I want to stand out in applications when I apply for vacation schemes this year and this is so helpful. I will defo make sure to leverage my uniqueness.

Also wanted to ask if it would be a good idea to start a law blog and if it would be useful for vacation scheme applications.
    Law blogs can be a good way to show off your writing skills and commercial awareness.

If you do it, make sure you do it well and consistently - for instance, make sure there is a purpose for your blog, and if you are trying to get an audience with it, how you are going to get that audience. I think it is also something you have to dedicate a good enough of time to - just writing a couple of articles is going to look fairly short-term.

So I wouldn’t do it just for the sake of having it on your application, but do it because you want to do it and know it will have a purpose outside of evidence for an application form.

chirag12

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 17, 2023
    Law blogs can be a good way to show off your writing skills and commercial awareness.

If you do it, make sure you do it well and consistently - for instance, make sure there is a purpose for your blog, and if you are trying to get an audience with it, how you are going to get that audience. I think it is also something you have to dedicate a good enough of time to - just writing a couple of articles is going to look fairly short-term.

So I wouldn’t do it just for the sake of having it on your application, but do it because you want to do it and know it will have a purpose outside of evidence for an application form.
    Hi,
    That does make sense because law firms want to see commercial awareness and interest in law. I think this would be a good thing to start as I don't have much legal work experience and I am actually really interested in commercial law.
    If I do start one I will make sure to be consistent and it would be based on "weekly updates" on commercial things happening right now (short articles). Would this be fine?

Thanks.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

jnice

Distinguished Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    I failed to convert a vacation scheme this Summer at a firm I really liked. They have offered a call to discuss feedback. I just wondered if anyone had any advice for the sorts of questions that might be appropriate to ask during a feedback call and whether it is appropriate to ask if the firm would still be open to receiving future applications from rejected candidates in next years cycle?
    Hi - first of all, I want to say well done for securing the VS - as you know how difficult it is to do so.

To answer your question - it is very much appropriate to ask if you can apply in the next application cycle. I did the same and they said I should call them before applying. You can definitely ask - the worst they can say is no so it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Reactions: LS_1998

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi,
    That does make sense because law firms want to see commercial awareness and interest in law. I think this would be a good thing to start as I don't have much legal work experience and I am actually really interested in commercial law.
    If I do start one I will make sure to be consistent and it would be based on "weekly updates" on commercial things happening right now (short articles). Would this be fine?

Thanks.
    Yes - this sounds like a good approach!

Reactions: chirag12

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    @Jessica Booker do you know if firms tend to send out their TC offers following a VS all at once or in batches? And would they send the offers and rejections at the same time? I know it probably differs widely from firm to firm but what tends to be a general practise in your experience? also, what happens if they try to call you with an offer but you dont have access to your number because youre on holiday?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker do you know if firms tend to send out their TC offers following a VS all at once or in batches? And would they send the offers and rejections at the same time? I know it probably differs widely from firm to firm but what tends to be a general practise in your experience? also, what happens if they try to call you with an offer but you dont have access to your number because youre on holiday?
    It really depends on the firm - it could quiet easily be both - I wouldn’t say there is one clear approach over the other.

They will email you if they can’t get hold of you via the phone.

Reactions: hannah04

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    It seems odd to ask for a TC so I'll just have to see how it goes and hope that they do. It was pretty competitive(only 2 places) and I was interviewed but it would be different from their formal recruitment process with an AC or an online test.

I don't necessarily mean asking for the TC per se, but it is worth asking whether you could be considered for a position on the training course. However, if it is different from their formal recruitment process then I understand that may not be a possibility!

Reactions: Jessica Booker
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.