TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

chirag12

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 17, 2023
Hi,
I know that forage virtual experience internships can give you a good idea of what type of law you want to go into
However, I wanted to ask whether forage virtual experience internships are useful for a vacation scheme or training contract application as they are open access and most people would probably include it in their applications. If it is useful, could you explain how?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,
I know that forage virtual experience internships can give you a good idea of what type of law you want to go into
However, I wanted to ask whether forage virtual experience internships are useful for a vacation scheme or training contract application as they are open access and most people would probably include it in their applications. If it is useful, could you explain how?

Thanks
How useful they are depends on your circumstances. It can help you build knowledge of an area of law if you haven’t studied it or worked in it, and if that is relevant to the firm you are applying to, then that could demonstrate your interest in the topic and your proactiveness to learn more about it.

If you have work experience in the subject or you have studied it at university, you are less likely to find it useful, and also it’s going to add less new evidence to your applications.

I personally think they are a great way to show you are pushing your own self development, so generally recommend them. I just encourage people to be selective in which ones they do. Once you have done a few, you probably start to get less benefits from the next one.

Also firms have access to your data once you complete the Forage internships that they have hosted. And they do tap up people who have completed the courses for opportunities with the firm, so it’s a good way for the firm to have your data too.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

LegalLegal11

Feb 9, 2023
If a VS has told you that they'll get back to you within 3 weeks, is it typical that the later you hear back the lower chance you have of getting the TC as they'll do acceptances first? Or are there no determinations to make regarding how long it takes a firm to get back to you?

chirag12

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 17, 2023
How useful they are depends on your circumstances. It can help you build knowledge of an area of law if you haven’t studied it or worked in it, and if that is relevant to the firm you are applying to, then that could demonstrate your interest in the topic and your proactiveness to learn more about it.

If you have work experience in the subject or you have studied it at university, you are less likely to find it useful, and also it’s going to add less new evidence to your applications.

I personally think they are a great way to show you are pushing your own self development, so generally recommend them. I just encourage people to be selective in which ones they do. Once you have done a few, you probably start to get less benefits from the next one.

Also firms have access to your data once you complete the Forage internships that they have hosted. And they do tap up people who have completed the courses for opportunities with the firm, so it’s a good way for the firm to have your data too.
HI,
That makes a lot more sense. Thanks

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    If a VS has told you that they'll get back to you within 3 weeks, is it typical that the later you hear back the lower chance you have of getting the TC as they'll do acceptances first? Or are there no determinations to make regarding how long it takes a firm to get back to you?
    I wouldn’t read too much into it- my firm kept pushing back when I would hear but I got an offer in the end. Will vary from firm to firm and could be for any number of reasons

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    No - I wouldn’t say that is typical at all.

Reactions: LegalLegal11

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    I have heard circumstances where both those who are offered/waitlisted/not offered the TC were all told on the same day. It is completely personal to the GR in question how they operate. Perhaps some do have a set process, but I am sure some also do not (although I do caveat this by saying I've never worked in GR and so do not have knowledge of any pre-existing convention). If I was personally thinking it through in your shoes, I'd honestly say the longer they take to get back the longer they are thinking my application over - it is not a no until you have resolutely heard a 'no'.

Last edited:

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    Has someone got experience working with a mentor from GROW mentoring? I applied to be a mentee around April/May during the last round that opened but I haven’t received a response. The new round for applications is opening soon in autumn. Is anybody else on here in the same boat?

Could someone who has been successful please give me tips on how to craft a good application?

davinap99

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 29, 2023
    I have finally secured a training contract!!! 🎉🎉🍾🍾

I would like to thank the entire TCLA Community for all their help over the last 4 years!! I’ve been on this platform since my final year of undergrad studies and I never thought I’d be able to secure a TC. The community here really helped me develop and boost my self-confidence.

@Jaysen and @Jessica Booker thank you for all your help across the 4 years I’ve been on this platform!!

As I have some free time (as my TC starts in March), I would like to give back to this community as much as I can. Therefore, everyone feel free to ask me any questions or concerns you may have and I’ll do my absolute best to answer them as much as I possibly can!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I would like to thank the entire TCLA Community for all their help over the last 4 years!! I’ve been on this platform since my final year of undergrad studies and I never thought I’d be able to secure a TC. The community here really helped me develop and boost my self-confidence.

@Jaysen and @Jessica Booker thank you for all your help across the 4 years I’ve been on this platform!!

As I have some free time (as my TC starts in March), I would like to give back to this community as much as I can. Therefore, everyone feel free to ask me any questions or concerns you may have and I’ll do my absolute best to answer them as much as I possibly can!
    Amazing news and you are a testament to showing how determination and perseverance pays off! Congratulations and well done.

Standing Ovation Applause GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023

AMAZING NEWS!!!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Amazing to see you persevere over the last four years. Really well done and thank you for offering to give back!

Reactions: davinap99

chirag12

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 17, 2023
    Hi,

I am confused about how mentioning non-commercial law work experience in an application when applying to a commercial law firm can be useful. Would commercial law firms not think that this does not show a passion for commercial law but other areas instead?

For example, if you have done Barclay's legal work experience week, an internship with the government legal department how could you write this in your application to show that you still have an interest in commercial law? The Barclays work experience is mostly hosted by an in-house lawyer rather than a law firm.

I am probably wrong but just want some guidance.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi,

I am confused about how mentioning non-commercial law work experience in an application when applying to a commercial law firm can be useful. Would commercial law firms not think that this does not show a passion for commercial law but other areas instead?

For example, if you have done Barclay's legal work experience week, an internship with the government legal department how could you write this in your application to show that you still have an interest in commercial law? The Barclays work experience is mostly hosted by an in-house lawyer rather than a law firm.

You could discuss what you did and discuss how that led to your interest in commercial transactions.

Something like having working in an in-house company where I drafted finance documents or shareholder agreements led my interest in commercial law.

I would put it something like this and then talk about being involved in legal transactions like these interests me.

Something similar to this.

Hope this is helpful.

davinap99

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 29, 2023
    Hi,

In my experience, non-commercial law work experience is equally valuable because it is about the transferable skills that you learnt. Graduate recruitment teams understand that not everyone can get commercial legal experience but what they are looking for is the skills you’ve learnt from it.

For example, with your Barclay’s legal work experience week, what are the transferable skills that you learnt? Did you do anything during the week that had a commercial element to it? How did the week continue to persuade you to pursue a career in law? What tasks did you enjoy? Why? These are the kind of questions you need to be thinking about. 🙂

Last edited:
    Reactions: chirag12 and Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi,

Many commercial law firms work with the GLD lawyers on a wide range of issues. If they are the firm’s client, the work they do is commercial, even if they are not a “commercial” organisation.

chirag12

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 17, 2023
    You could discuss what you did and discuss how that led to your interest in commercial transactions.

Something like having working in an in-house company where I drafted finance documents or shareholder agreements led my interest in commercial law.

I would put it something like this and then talk about being involved in legal transactions like these interests me.

Something similar to this.

Hope this is helpful.
    Hi,
    That makes much more sense. After reading this I am more confident using work experience from places other than law firms.

Thanks

Reactions: Asil Ahmad
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.