TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

chirag12

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 17, 2023
You could discuss what you did and discuss how that led to your interest in commercial transactions.

Something like having working in an in-house company where I drafted finance documents or shareholder agreements led my interest in commercial law.

I would put it something like this and then talk about being involved in legal transactions like these interests me.

Something similar to this.

Hope this is helpful.
Hi,
That makes much more sense. After reading this I am more confident using work experience from places other than law firms.

Thanks

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

chirag12

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 17, 2023
In my experience, non-commercial law work experience is equally valuable because it is about the transferable skills that you learnt. Graduate recruitment teams understand that not everyone can get commercial legal experience but what they are looking for is the skills you’ve learnt from it.

For example, with your Barclay’s legal work experience week, what are the transferable skills that you learnt? Did you do anything during the week that had a commercial element to it? How did the week continue to persuade you to pursue a career in law? What tasks did you enjoy? Why? These are the kind of questions you need to be thinking about. 🙂
Thanks, this is so helpful. I never thought of it like that. Amazing!

Reactions: davinap99

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
Ive been told that the VS I did gives their TC offers over the phone. I havent heard anything yet but Im abroad for a few more weeks and if someone tries to call my number it says "number barred and uncontactable" with no way to leave a voice mail. Im worried that if the firm tries to call me they will hear this auto-message and be confused or put off. Should I contract grad recruitment and tell them I am abroad and only contactable by email or just leave it? Any advice is much appreciated!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ive been told that the VS I did gives their TC offers over the phone. I havent heard anything yet but Im abroad for a few more weeks and if someone tries to call my number it says "number barred and uncontactable" with no way to leave a voice mail. Im worried that if the firm tries to call me they will hear this auto-message and be confused or put off. Should I contract grad recruitment and tell them I am abroad and only contactable by email or just leave it? Any advice is much appreciated!
not getting through to people is incredibly common. I wouldn’t worry about it really, but if you haven’t got voicemail set up, explain you will not be contactable and ask that they email you in the first instance.

LS_1998

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 12, 2022
Hi everyone! Just wanted to post on here quickly to say that after three years of applications, a reserve position on the vac scheme and a waiting list position for the training contract, I have been offered a training contract at Trowers & Hamlins 😍😍.

This is my dream firm and I am so excited it has finally happened! If anyone wants any advice on the upcoming cycle, or how to deal with rejection, or anything else, please do message me!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone! Just wanted to post on here quickly to say that after three years of applications, a reserve position on the vac scheme and a waiting list position for the training contract, I have been offered a training contract at Trowers & Hamlins 😍😍.

This is my dream firm and I am so excited it has finally happened! If anyone wants any advice on the upcoming cycle, or how to deal with rejection, or anything else, please do message me!
The best things come to those who wait!

Congratulations! I have lost count where I have heard stories like this where the first few attempts didn’t happen, but it ultimately resulted in the best outcome for someone’s dream firm.

Well done and hope you get to celebrate over the weekend!

Happy Well Done GIF by Top Talent

CallumJR

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 16, 2020

Congratulations!

I am so jealous. They are my dream firm too!

• Love
Reactions: LS_1998
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.