TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey @axelbeugre , was hoping if you could help with some pointers for the employment section of the Goodwin VS application, it would be very appreciated!

1. They do not have a maximum amount for the employment. I have a fair few amount of experience (mostly non-legal), how many experiences would you recommend putting down?
2. Do you think it is sufficient to write just the skills and type of role you did (bullet point style) or did you put it in detail and link it to Goodwin?
Thank you 😇
Hey @Ash2323,

1) I would say that there is no fixed amount that you should stick to, it totally depends on your personal judgment so I would say to include all the experiences that you feel will help you and make your application strong. I included 6 work experiences and only a couple were legal, so there is no need for you to have legal work experience. There are plenty of people from non-law backgrounds at Goodwin! I did have a lot more experience I could talk about, but I personally made a selection based on what experiences could best showcase my interest in start-up, technology and law, and that is what I did. Maybe following a criteria like I did would be beneficial to you too.

2) For what concerns the description of the work experience, I personally only described what I did during my professional experiences and the skills I acquired. I did not link it back to Goodwin per se. Additionally, I used prose to describe my work experience section. It is advised to not use bullet points in any law firm application so I never used that form.

I hope that helps and good luck with the application!

• 🏆
Reactions: Jaysen and Ash2323

LawEnthus

Star Member
Oct 2, 2020
If a firm does not have a 'positions of responsibility' section, but their work experience section says they want 'paid employment, paid or unpaid placements or internships and any other office and non-office work experience' and that 'non-legal work employment & experience' is important to them, is it appropriate to put student union positions of responsibility that lasted a year or an intense voluntary position e.g at a library for 6 months in the work experience section? the tasks I performed and analysis of skills are like work experience/jobs rather than involvement with extra-curricular interests or student societies relating to them, and they are not current 'interests' but ones I did at undergrad. (I am doing the LPC). My additional info section is quite full, but I don't want to 'answer the questions wrong' so to speak, and so I am unsure where to put these positions of responsibility. @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre any advice?

Marissa

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Jun 25, 2020
Has anyone ever requested WG results from CMS?

Just got an email saying I didn’t meet their benchmark which is odd cus I think I’m quite good at the test and have passed it multiple times before…

Reactions: HarmonyN

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.