TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Is it okay if I respond under the time given for a VI? Say we have 2 minutes and my answer is 1.5? Feel like I'm guilty of this lol
    Nothing wrong with this but I would always advise you use all the time you’re assigned. If you are consistently under, it may be worth planning your answers ahead and practicing to make sure you’re hitting the 2 mins mark. The way I see it is, the more stuff you say (that is relevant) the more points you score!

Reactions: futuretrainee2024

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How should I answer the question like" Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector". I mean if I haven't attended any of the open day of the firm I‘m applying, how should I talk about other firm's open day and link it to this firm?
    You don’t need to explicitly link it to the firm you are applying to. However, you may want to identify elements of other law firm’s events that align with the firm you are applying to. For instance, did you do a real estate case study at an open day, and the firm you are applying to has a great real estate team? Did you learn about AI in the legal sector at an evening webinar, and is the firm you are applying to a leader in legal advice for the AI sector?

For anyone doing the Allen & Overy assessment centre:

I have just found out from the recruiters that they have enough offers for everyone who gets a WVS to have a TC and for the past 5 years, there has been a 100% retention from WVS and there are no more assessments/ interviews after the AC to get the scheme, therefore now that I have "an almost" TC, here is the advice I would give for anyone who has an upcoming A&O AC. Bear in mind the AC is 5 hours long online with only 3 breaks so that is why we don't have further assessments because it is very intense. Anyways, hope this helps!

1) Make sure to look out for key info in the case study and do not waste time reading the whole extract. There were only 3 questions for the case study and the questions specifically say "go to section e or read section f". It's really tempting to read everything but you must focus solely on the questions and answers.

2) Have a notebook nearby to write down your answer because you'll have to present your answers to the three questions for the case study and that presentation should be 15 minutes long ideally. Having a notebook to jot down things will be important because after the presentation, the interviewer will test your comprehension of the rest of the extract.

3) Research common legal solutions for clients. Basically, make sure for the case study exercise that you know what warranties and indemnities are and make sure you suggest them as solutions. (Just do it, the trainees on LinkedIN told me to do so and here I am so it works lol). Go on Investiopedia for research warranties and indemnities so you understand them. Also, learn about balance sheets because one of the sources for the case study is a balance sheet and you want to ensure that you can read a balance sheet.

4) Have a calculator. The second case study question is a mathematical question which can only be done via a calculator. You must ensure that you explain your working out when presenting. Don't worry about getting the answer wrong. I got it wrong lol. But you must explain your working out and the interviewer will go through it with you, just make sure to demonstrate that you understand where you went wrong.

5) Have a cup of water to sip in case you get nervous so you can take a moment to compose yourself.

6) For the written exercise, there is no technique. Just write clearly and concisely with a good structure e.g. firstly, secondly, lastly.

7) For the scenario based interview, make sure to fully explain yourself and at the end when you ask questions, don't ask boring generic questions only like "why law?", if the interviewer seems kind and accepting, feel free to ask deeper questions like "if you were a trainee again, what advice would you have wanted to hear before starting a training contract at Allen & Overy?"

8) It's a very long process, mine was 4 hours and 45 minutes in total. Make sure your wifi and mic work and remain calm, you got this!

9) Reach out to trainees on LinkedIN for tips, they're really forthcoming!

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 14, 2023
    Got 88 percentile in Linklaters WG and 34/40 is this good enough to get Linklaters AC and it is the first time I passed WG
    hi, sorry this is not relevant, but do you remember how many work experiences you can add in linklaters application form? I applied direct TC yet i only can add 2 work experience. this is weird.

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 14, 2023
    Hi, anyone applied Linklaters Training Contract? how many work experiences you can add in linklaters application form? I applied direct TC yet i only can add 2 work experience. this is weird. Thank you for your reply!!!

Abbas J

Star Member
    Mar 30, 2023
    Is there any point applying to Bird and Bird and W&C for their vacation schemes this late into the cycle when their deadlines are rolling?
    Not sure about W&C but I would deffo still apply Bird and Bird. I done the VI recently and I think it will be a while until I hear back. They also seem to give Watson Glasers quite quick, so always worth a shot.

Reactions: goodvibesonly

Abbas J

Star Member
    Mar 30, 2023
    Can't remember exact dates but I applied fairly early in the window and got the invite for the Watson Glaser within 7/10 days of my app if I can remember quickly.

I wouldn't be put off by this though, I think they wait until the majority of applicants have completed their video interviews before offering places for the AC.

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    For anyone doing the Allen & Overy assessment centre:

I have just found out from the recruiters that they have enough offers for everyone who gets a WVS to have a TC and for the past 5 years, there has been a 100% retention from WVS and there are no more assessments/ interviews after the AC to get the scheme, therefore now that I have "an almost" TC, here is the advice I would give for anyone who has an upcoming A&O AC. Bear in mind the AC is 5 hours long online with only 3 breaks so that is why we don't have further assessments because it is very intense. Anyways, hope this helps!

1) Make sure to look out for key info in the case study and do not waste time reading the whole extract. There were only 3 questions for the case study and the questions specifically say "go to section e or read section f". It's really tempting to read everything but you must focus solely on the questions and answers.

2) Have a notebook nearby to write down your answer because you'll have to present your answers to the three questions for the case study and that presentation should be 15 minutes long ideally. Having a notebook to jot down things will be important because after the presentation, the interviewer will test your comprehension of the rest of the extract.

3) Research common legal solutions for clients. Basically, make sure for the case study exercise that you know what warranties and indemnities are and make sure you suggest them as solutions. (Just do it, the trainees on LinkedIN told me to do so and here I am so it works lol). Go on Investiopedia for research warranties and indemnities so you understand them. Also, learn about balance sheets because one of the sources for the case study is a balance sheet and you want to ensure that you can read a balance sheet.

4) Have a calculator. The second case study question is a mathematical question which can only be done via a calculator. You must ensure that you explain your working out when presenting. Don't worry about getting the answer wrong. I got it wrong lol. But you must explain your working out and the interviewer will go through it with you, just make sure to demonstrate that you understand where you went wrong.

5) Have a cup of water to sip in case you get nervous so you can take a moment to compose yourself.

6) For the written exercise, there is no technique. Just write clearly and concisely with a good structure e.g. firstly, secondly, lastly.

7) For the scenario based interview, make sure to fully explain yourself and at the end when you ask questions, don't ask boring generic questions only like "why law?", if the interviewer seems kind and accepting, feel free to ask deeper questions like "if you were a trainee again, what advice would you have wanted to hear before starting a training contract at Allen & Overy?"

8) It's a very long process, mine was 4 hours and 45 minutes in total. Make sure your wifi and mic work and remain calm, you got this!

9) Reach out to trainees on LinkedIN for tips, they're really forthcoming!
    I was nodding along until I read 'WiFi and mic'

Doing this all online? 😭 That's so difficult. Major congrats!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.