TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2023
Hello!
Perhaps a really silly question but I'm doing an application and they state:
If you haven’t completed the LPC before starting your training contract, you would complete the SQE through a Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeship if you were to be made an offer.

To be eligible for the Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeship you must have 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 or above including Maths and English.

Do you have 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 or above including Maths and English? (Please select n/a if you will have completed the LPC before starting a training contract)

All the other applications generally state GCSEs or equivalent. I didn't go to an English school, so don't have GCSEs. Does this matter? Should I email? Thanks!!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Legalregal

Valued Member
Jan 13, 2021
I have been invited to complete a test after submitting an application. Just reviewed my app and noticed a few errors/typos (not sure how I've got through the first stage lol, they are bad mistakes) - do you think I can try and give GR an updated app at anytime? I wouldn't want the app being placed in front of partners in its current state

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
I have been invited to complete a test after submitting an application. Just reviewed my app and noticed a few errors/typos (not sure how I've got through the first stage lol, they are bad mistakes) - do you think I can try and give GR an updated app at anytime? I wouldn't want the app being placed in front of partners in its current state
Dependent on the firm, your app won’t even get seen by the partners. The exception to this is if your AC interview will be based off your app. If this is the case, firms will usually state this in the FAQs section of their careers page (e.g HSF state their interviews are based off your app).

Personal opinion- if you’ve reached the AC stage with these errors in your application, it shouldn’t hold you back as you will have proved through WG/VI/SJT that you may have the skills to do the job.

Reactions: Legalregal

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Attended the Fieldfisher Diversity Access Scheme Launch Event. So the current process is an application, strengths test and virtual AC. Rather than having a final interview/presentation to convert the DAS into a TC offer, you need to do an entire in person AC consisting of a written exercise, group presentation and a final partner interview (two partners). Is it me or is this a lot?
If they have a less stringent process at the start of the recruitment process for the scheme, I am not surprised to hear there are more assessments to then convert to a TC.

Reactions: aspiringlawyer47

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker would you recommend putting a job that I have only had for two months in the work experience section? I have not done that much so I am wondering if I should just put it in
You should definitely include it - even if you had done it for a week or two, you should include it.

Reactions: atlas2425

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hello!
Perhaps a really silly question but I'm doing an application and they state:
If you haven’t completed the LPC before starting your training contract, you would complete the SQE through a Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeship if you were to be made an offer.

To be eligible for the Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeship you must have 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 or above including Maths and English.

Do you have 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 or above including Maths and English? (Please select n/a if you will have completed the LPC before starting a training contract)

All the other applications generally state GCSEs or equivalent. I didn't go to an English school, so don't have GCSEs. Does this matter? Should I email? Thanks!!
I did not go to an English school too but if you feel like you have grades that exceed this, I would not worry too much and select yes. However, it depends on your grades. I would not bother sending an email about this, but just select yes if you have high grades in whatever country you went to school in.

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2023
I did not go to an English school too but if you feel like you have grades that exceed this, I would not worry too much and select yes. However, it depends on your grades. I would not bother sending an email about this, but just select yes if you have high grades in whatever country you went to school in.
Thank you!!

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.