TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

TakeAChanceOnMe

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2023
Annoyingly, my previous message has been deleted because I disclosed the CC video interview question, even though they disclose it to us well in advance! So it's no more of a secret than any other application question.

Back to the point - @Jessica Booker or anyone who can help - was hoping for help on why CC has emphasised 'in the region' in their video interview question. They mention it twice. Could you shed any light on how you would address this?

Sorry, but I cannot repeat the full question here, or it will likely be deleted again. DM me if you would like it. As ever, THANK YOU so very much.

Reactions: lawapplicant

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Annoyingly, my previous message has been deleted because I disclosed the CC video interview question, even though they disclose it to us well in advance! So it's no more of a secret than any other application question.

Back to the point - @Jessica Booker or anyone who can help - was hoping for help on why CC has emphasised 'in the region' in their video interview question. They mention it twice. Could you shed any light on how you would address this?

Sorry, but I cannot repeat the full question here, or it will likely be deleted again. DM me if you would like it. As ever, THANK YOU so very much.
Hi - that was me that deleted the post.

Unfortunately we do ask that video interview questions are not specifically shared on the forum - we can’t keep a track of which firms share video interview information or not, and so we just blanket remove it.

if they are asking you to talk about a location, it likely means the question is used across various TC locations and therefore they want you to explain why you are specifically interested/applying to that particular location.

TakeAChanceOnMe

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2023
Hi - that was me that deleted the post.

Unfortunately we do ask that video interview questions are not specifically shared on the forum - we can’t keep a track of which firms share video interview information or not, and so we just blanket remove it.

if they are asking you to talk about a location, it likely means the question is used across various TC locations and therefore they want you to explain why you are specifically interested/applying to that particular location.
Ah gotcha, ok it just seemed a very strange and notable emphasis on 'this region' given they are such a global firm. You know what it's like, we are supposed to very clearly address every part of the question, and directing part of my limited-time answer to why I would want to be a CC Lawyer in London (rather than say, Hong Kong) just seems very odd.

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
Ah gotcha, ok it just seemed a very strange and notable emphasis on 'this region' given they are such a global firm. You know what it's like, we are supposed to very clearly address every part of the question, and directing part of my limited-time answer to why I would want to be a CC Lawyer in London (rather than say, Hong Kong) just seems very odd.
I would say it’s because every firm’s offices has its own specific strong suits. CC could be Band 1 in Finance departments in London for example but Band 4 in Hong Kong. I think it’s moreso emphasising why CC on a UK level, rather than speaking about say deals, departments, or matters originating from their other offices.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It may seem odd, but it’s going to be very important to them. Given they are a popular firm (and with international candidates) they will want to make sure they find people who have a long-term motivation/commitment to the region they are recruiting for.

Reactions: TakeAChanceOnMe

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Stupid question but should i assume PFO for Stephenson Harwood seeing as their WVS starts on Monday haha

I got an email from them 20/11/23 asking to specify what scheme i wanted to be selected for as they had made an error when publishing, i stated winter only. I have not heard from them since... should i just assume PFO or maybe they're saving my application for Sping even though i didn't say that although i am not opposed to a spring date. Just a little annoying as i would like to update my application tracker but they're the only winter one i've not heard from lol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What's the difference between work experience and positions of responsibility?
    Work experience is a job where you have made a commitment to turn up and deliver things that are set for you by others.

Positions of responsibility are the things you choose to do - usually your extra curriculars but it’s just really a broader term for people who are not necessarily in education. It could be things you do within work but that you are not contracted to do (eg part of an internal network group/charity fundraising) or it could be activities that have no connection to your education (volunteering at a local place of worship/local food bank).

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Work experience is a job where you have made a commitment to turn up and deliver things that are set for you by others.

Positions of responsibility are the things you choose to do - usually your extra curriculars but it’s just really a broader term for people who are not necessarily in education. It could be things you do within work but that you are not contracted to do (eg part of an internal network group/charity fundraising) or it could be activities that have no connection to your education (volunteering at a local place of worship/local food bank).
    Thank you Jessica!!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.