TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

19.mfjones

Star Member
  • Oct 16, 2023
    Hey guys - anyone waiting to hear back from Linklaters Spring VS?

Also, 2 questions;

1. How far back do you go back for your Work Experience section? I am working as a paralegal now (having finished UG in 2020 and Post Grad in 2022) and have experience dating back to my first job, which was 2017 and experience from roles I did at Undergrad. Is this too long ago? I like what I put down for these sections but I don't know if it was too long ago to be relevant.

2. Also, anyone have any experience with a major confidence knock? I had 2 rejections recently for applications I felt proud with, both prior to VI, and I feel like the rug has been pulled out from me somewhat. Any advice? Cheers all :)
    I completely get the confidence knock thing - I feel like I put so much effort in and they brush it off so easily with a PFO.

I'm waiting to hear from Linklaters Spring VC, but have seen some people have had both PFOs and offers. I'm presuming another PFO for me lol

Reactions: Izzy1026

itsfearless15

Premium Member
    Sep 16, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I'm currently finishing up my Hogan Lovells app and have a question about the Secondary Education section. I'm an international student, completed the IB Diploma (which I put down in the Sixth Form section), however I didn't do GCSEs or equivalent programme when I was 14-16 years old. I went to school (14-16 were my first two years of high school, 9th and 10th grade) and have grades available for those years, but it was just my high school's curriculum with subjects like Physical Education, Art, Biology etc. that I did as opposed to a more standardised programme or something. Do I put those marks down that I got for my finals in grades 9 and 10, or do I click on 'I did not undertake studies between ages 14-16 years'?

clbtchnhl

Standard Member
    May 4, 2023
    Hey guys - anyone waiting to hear back from Linklaters Spring VS?

Also, 2 questions;

1. How far back do you go back for your Work Experience section? I am working as a paralegal now (having finished UG in 2020 and Post Grad in 2022) and have experience dating back to my first job, which was 2017 and experience from roles I did at Undergrad. Is this too long ago? I like what I put down for these sections but I don't know if it was too long ago to be relevant.

2. Also, anyone have any experience with a major confidence knock? I had 2 rejections recently for applications I felt proud with, both prior to VI, and I feel like the rug has been pulled out from me somewhat. Any advice? Cheers all :)
    im waiting to hear back and tbh I think its going to be a pfo due to the feedback on the capp test.
    I got rejected post SJT from HSF and its wrecked my confidence bc I put a lot of effort into the questions and they didn't even review it bc I didn't meet the benchmark for the SJT.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for this and things related to COVID-19 will not require proof but things related to a family member's illness and that family member having surgeries will require proof.
    If it’s a family member it’s unlikely they will ask for proof of the circumstance (as it’s not your information) but may ask for your academic institution to provide some form of reference that they knew about the circumstances instead.

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    im waiting to hear back and tbh I think its going to be a pfo due to the feedback on the capp test.
    I got rejected post SJT from HSF and its wrecked my confidence bc I put a lot of effort into the questions and they didn't even review it bc I didn't meet the benchmark for the SJT.
    I know a lot of people are getting PFOs.. I just wanted to say that we got this guys :)
    It’s easier said than done, yes. But we just gotta keep pushing ourselves. I really wish firms have a holistic approach. Unfortunately, they don’t :( The only thing we can do rn is to keep going and not let the rejections define us.

Maybe each rejection is a redirection and we are meant to be at a better firm that’s better suited for us? I’ve found it quite hard to keep going lately so I just wanted to say no one is alone! Everyone gets rejected and it’s only a matter of time before we get our offers!

Here’s wishing everyone a merry christmas and a happy new year 😊

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    If it’s a family member it’s unlikely they will ask for proof of the circumstance (as it’s not your information) but may ask for your academic institution to provide some form of reference that they knew about the circumstances instead.
    Thank you for this and did not know about this so thank you for the clarification on this.

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2023
    This year I’m doing about 7 but I think it really depends on you as a person and how you work + circumstances :)) last year I did loads and got PFOs v early on for each firm, whereas this year I’ve gotten further for everything having spent more time on each one. I work full time so hard to balance but I found that’s the way that works best for me on top of that !
    I am also aiming for the same amount and sometimes it feels like its not enough but ive been putting time into apps plus also juggling a full time job! Glad to hear from someone else in the same boat :)

Reactions: Sunshinepink

lawtab

Star Member
    Jul 19, 2023
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if Latham’s test had a benchmark score to meet in order to progress to application review stage? Or are scores considered alongside applications?

I was thinking a benchmark may be the reason for the wave of PFOs last week, as I completed the test on evening of 12th Dec and received a PFO two days later - surely they can’t have reviewed applications that fast?

Keeping fingers crossed for those who haven’t heard back from Latham, i’d take it as a good sign!🤞

Aaj03

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 8, 2023
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if Latham’s test had a benchmark score to meet in order to progress to application review stage? Or are scores considered alongside applications?

I was thinking a benchmark may be the reason for the wave of PFOs last week, as I completed the test on evening of 12th Dec and received a PFO two days later - surely they can’t have reviewed applications that fast?

Keeping fingers crossed for those who haven’t heard back from Latham, i’d take it as a good sign!🤞
    Yes, there is a benchmark that needs to be met.

Reactions: lawtab

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    I am also aiming for the same amount and sometimes it feels like its not enough but ive been putting time into apps plus also juggling a full time job! Glad to hear from someone else in the same boat :)
    I’m in the same boat. Juggling applications with a full time job and spending a considerable amount of time on each application yet still keep getting rejected at the first stage (barring cms where I flopped the wg). Have absolutely no idea how these firms evaluate apps

• 🤝
    Reactions: Ash2323 and missingh

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.