TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
I'm applying to Ashurst and filling in the education section, and a mandatory section in the university grades section is "letter grade". They give you space for the number obtained afterwards, but the letter can't be left blank. I'm assuming they're just expecting 1st/2:1 etc, even though that's not a letter? Sorry if it sounds like such a pedantic question!

trainingcontract

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2023
Hey, well done on progressing to the test ! I just found out about this diversity scheme and was wondering if they consider successful applicants for a TC or do you need to apply separately for that?
bumping this! This makes me think you will need to apply separately- "By attending this programme, you will be in a strong position to apply for a Training Contract". However, they also describe the scheme as part of the 2026 recruitment process so, who knows?

Last edited:

ayiiii05

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2023
Hi all, I've applied to 12 firms and have been rejected by 9 lol. I'm finding it so hard to stay motivated but I plan on applying to the following firms soon:

Osborne Clarke
Cooley
Sullivan and Cromwell
Orrick

If anyone has any tips, please message me!

I was recently rejected from Akin after the test invite which hurt tbh. I normally don't let it get to me too much when firms reject me but I really liked Akin :( I believe everything happens for a reason so it's likely it just wasn't the firm for me. This process is so hard and tiring and I understand that firms can't hire everyone but wow.

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
Anyone who applied to SPB - did you include examples of activities (the optional part) in your application or did you skip them? I didn't include anything and now I am fully regretting it and worrying about an automatic PFO

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi all, I've applied to 12 firms and have been rejected by 9 lol. I'm finding it so hard to stay motivated but I plan on applying to the following firms soon:

Osborne Clarke
    Cooley
    Sullivan and Cromwell
    Orrick

I was recently rejected from Akin after the test invite which hurt tbh. I normally don't let it get to me too much when firms reject me but I really liked Akin :( I believe everything happens for a reason so it's likely it just wasn't the firm for me. This process is so hard and tiring and I understand that firms can't hire everyone but wow.
    Don't worry too much about it like I got so many rejections today that I lost count of today's rejections but it is only a number's game.

Trust me take a break for a day or 2 then you will be back at it and you only need 1 yes.

Also in regards to your dream firm I personally don't think you can have a dream as someone who is in their 4th application cycle and realised that most firms are similar so having a dream firm does not exist.

If you believe in your goal and know you can get that TC then no one can stop you from getting that goal.

Like I do not have the best grades and have other challenges that make me a less strong candidate than others but have still progressed to VI for firms like Baker McKenzie so it is all about how much you believe in yourself and how much you want it.

I know you will get that TC soon and keep your chin up and you got this.

ayiiii05

Distinguished Member
    Nov 10, 2023
    Don't worry too much about it like I got so many rejections today that I lost count of today's rejections but it is only a number's game.

Trust me take a break for a day or 2 then you will be back at it and you only need 1 yes.

Also in regards to your dream firm I personally don't think you can have a dream as someone who is in their 4th application cycle and realised that most firms are similar so having a dream firm does not exist.

If you believe in your goal and know you can get that TC then no one can stop you from getting that goal.

Like I do not have the best grades and have other challenges that make me a less strong candidate than others but have still progressed to VI for firms like Baker McKenzie so it is all about how much you believe in yourself and how much you want it.

I know you will get that TC soon and keep your chin up and you got this.
    I needed to hear this, thank you so much. This is my 1st time applying for VC and TCs but my 2nd year applying to firms. I don't have a dream firm but for some firms that I research, there may be things that I really like about them but I guess I need to not attach myself to these firms so early on.

I really appreciate your words, I felt for a while that I may not deserve a TC but now I know I do, it's just these little setbacks will always affect you one way or another. Thank you again and good luck!

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2023
    Anyone who applied to SPB - did you include examples of activities (the optional part) in your application or did you skip them? I didn't include anything and now I am fully regretting it and worrying about an automatic PFO
    I left it empty. I put what I would have put there in the work experience bit though.

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023

Osborne Clarke
    Cooley
    Sullivan and Cromwell
    Orrick

Im so sorry to hear this. I think all of us on here know too well that it is such a pain going through the rejection slump but DON’T let it drain you mentally and emotionally. The second you feel that way, GIVE yourself a few days to breathe and relax, and after that, pick yourself back UP and give your applications the best chance.

Trust me, you’ll feel all the more stronger for it - when you push through and when you do get that AC invite… and you will, it’s going to feel that much more sweeter knowing all the hurdles you had to go through to get there.

Just to put things into perspective, last cycle I sent around 25 applications in total (VS and TC). I got 1 AC putting my total rejections at 24 (25 if you include post AC). That July, I felt so drained and tired, stupidly let the rejections get to me and was 100% convinced I didn’t have the energy to carry on.

Following that though, I’ve since received 3 AC’s and 1 VS. Something I would never have imagined possible. The real detail however, lies in the fact I’ve sent 20 applications so far - meaning my post app rejections are sitting at 17 (hopefully they bloody stay there).

Rejections are a part of the process, and given the fact these firms receive around 2000 applications - you never know how far down on that list you sat. Perhaps you were number 51 and they only invite 50 to AC. Being 51 out of 2000 doesn’t sound that bad anymore…. Keep going until you make number 1 bby.

P.S: my deluded coping mechanism is that I envision my future - and one day, when I make it as a big shot lawyer and I win all those awards and recognitions, the same firms that rejected me today will be reaching out to me for lateral recruitment…. What? It can happen.

Last edited:

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Im so sorry to hear this. I think all of us on here know too well that it is such a pain going through the rejection slump but DON’T let it drain you mentally and emotionally. The second you feel that way, GIVE yourself a few days to breathe and relax, and after that, pick yourself back UP and give your applications the best chance.

Trust me, you’ll feel all the more stronger for it - when you push through and when you do get that AC invite… and you will, it’s going to feel that much more sweeter knowing all the hurdles you had to go through to get there.

Just to put things into perspective, last cycle I sent around 25 applications in total (VS and TC). I got 1 AC putting my total rejections at 24 (25 if you include post AC). That July, I felt so drained and tired, stupidly let the rejections get to me and was 100% convinced I didn’t have the energy to carry on.

Following that though, I’ve since received 3 AC’s and 1 VS. Something I would never have imagined possible. The real detail however, lies in the fact I’ve sent 20 applications so far - meaning my post app rejections are sitting at 17 (hopefully they bloody stay there).

Rejections are a part of the process, and given the fact these firms receive around 2000 applications - you never know how far down on that list you sat. Perhaps you were number 51 and they only invite 50 to AC. Being 51 out of 2000 doesn’t sound that bad anymore…. Keep going until you make number 1 bby.

P.S: my deluded coping mechanism is that I envision my future - and one day, when make I it as a big shot lawyer and I win all those awards and recognitions, the same firms that rejected me today will be reaching out to me for lateral recruitment…. What? It can happen.
    You are an absolute angel 🙏🏻

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.