TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

ayiiii05

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2023
Im so sorry to hear this. I think all of us on here know too well that it is such a pain going through the rejection slump but DON’T let it drain you mentally and emotionally. The second you feel that way, GIVE yourself a few days to breathe and relax, and after that, pick yourself back UP and give your applications the best chance.

Trust me, you’ll feel all the more stronger for it - when you push through and when you do get that AC invite… and you will, it’s going to feel that much more sweeter knowing all the hurdles you had to go through to get there.

Just to put things into perspective, last cycle I sent around 25 applications in total (VS and TC). I got 1 AC putting my total rejections at 24 (25 if you include post AC). That July, I felt so drained and tired, stupidly let the rejections get to me and was 100% convinced I didn’t have the energy to carry on.

Following that though, I’ve since received 3 AC’s and 1 VS. Something I would never have imagined possible. The real detail however, lies in the fact I’ve sent 20 applications so far - meaning my post app rejections are sitting at 17 (hopefully they bloody stay there).

Rejections are a part of the process, and given the fact these firms receive around 2000 applications - you never know how far down on that list you sat. Perhaps you were number 51 and they only invite 50 to AC. Being 51 out of 2000 doesn’t sound that bad anymore…. Keep going until you make number 1 bby.

P.S: my deluded coping mechanism is that I envision my future - and one day, when make I it as a big shot lawyer and I win all those awards and recognitions, the same firms that rejected me today will be reaching out to me for lateral recruitment…. What? It can happen.

You are an absolute angel 🙏🏻
@aspiringsolicitor03 I second this. Thank you so much @LegallyBrown This has truly motivated me to keep pushing through, same with the words of another person on here who took the time to reply to me. I'm sorry about my little rant but I've been keeping those feelings inside for a while and I don't know many people in RL applying to VS and TCs. This is such a lovely forum, and I am so glad you got a VS, you deserve it!! Can I message you privately @LegallyBrown ?

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    @aspiringsolicitor03 I second this. Thank you so much @LegallyBrown This has truly motivated me to keep pushing through, same with the words of another person on here who took the time to reply to me. I'm sorry about my little rant but I've been keeping those feelings inside for a while and I don't know many people in RL applying to VS and TCs. This is such a lovely forum, and I am so glad you got a VS, you deserve it!! Can I message you privately @LegallyBrown ?
    No worries xx ❤️

Sure feel free to message me x

• Love
    Reactions: S87

aspiringsolicitor2000

Star Member
    Jan 22, 2022
    I had a Reed Smith assessment and video interview invite sent before Christmas with 14 days to complete. I tried to complete this a couple of days ago (a day and a half before the deadline) but the link said the assessment period had expired when I clicked on it. I emailed GR straight away but still haven't haven't heard anything - I'm starting to think they perhaps have filled all their spots but surely I should be given the full time to complete the assessment? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    I applied to their WVS but
    Hey sorry to hear this. For Ashurst, is it a PFO for SVS? I thought they recruit on a non-rolling basis and their deadline is tomorrow
    I did not take the online assessment as I couldn't make the winter dates, I applied for the SVS and completed the tests but was told they are withdrawing me as I applied for WVS even though I did not take the tests or do anything further than submit my application form. hence the PFO yet not a PFO.
    Good luck!!

Marissa

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 25, 2020
    Anyone who applied to SPB - did you include examples of activities (the optional part) in your application or did you skip them? I didn't include anything and now I am fully regretting it and worrying about an automatic PFO
    I put two, a probono case that I’d worked on, and a volunteer project that I led at uni. It wasnt a compulsory section tho so I wouldnt worry too much about it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.