TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Are you guys having problems with the WFW application? The portal states that I need to complete the postgraduate session, however, I did not attend a master's or any other postgraduate class. I usually skip it and complete the GDL and LPC sections.

EllaClayton

Valued Member
Jan 23, 2023
Are you guys having problems with the WFW application? The portal states that I need to complete the postgraduate session, however, I did not attend a master's or any other postgraduate class. I usually skip it and complete the GDL and LPC sections.
I was able to skip so I’d refresh and or try another device if possible?

Benisa

Standard Member
Sep 11, 2023
Hey, I’ve just done it. It’s mainly scenario based questions where you say what you would be most/least likely to do. There are also quite a few maths questions, I found some of these kinda hard but it’s untimed which takes the pressure off. Then a long answer written question at the end which is pretty straightforward :)
hey well done!! thank you, sounds good ! how long did it take you if you don't mind me asking?

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Just about to start W&C's cover letter and what's the general take on subheadings for clarity/ease of reading? I feel just having paragraph after paragraph may be hard to digest, especially as I'm planning to logically split mine into "why law", "why W&C", why me", so subheadings structurally break it up well.

Or is this not advised? Would appreciate any thoughts @Jessica Booker :)

ljms

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2024
The use of generative AI in recruitment is a particularly hot topic amongst candidates and recruitment teams alike. What are your views on candidates using generative AI in recruitment processes? Is it cheating, or being resourceful? Does it level the playing field, or make it harder for some? There is no right or wrong answer to this question (yet!), but we are interested to hear your opinions on this topic.

How would you guys approach this question? Personally, I believe that these tools can help candidates articulate their experiences and skills more effectively, ensuring that their applications are reflective of their true capabilities and potential. Especially for individuals who may struggle with expressing themselves in writing or face barriers due to various factors such as neurodiversity, AI can level the playing field, providing an opportunity to present themselves in the best light. This doesn't necessarily equate to cheating, provided the candidates are honest about their experiences, their skills and the role AI played in their application.

I know they say there is no right or wrong answer, but I'm aware that many firms are strongly against the use of AI in this context. Given this situation, how should I approach this issue? Should I voice my true opinion, or align with the more commonly held view against AI usage in job applications?
I also recognise that recruitment processes are designed not just to know a candidate's experiences and skills, but also test their communication skills. And AI-generated responses can obscure this quality.

@Jessica Booker , I would be interested in knowing your opinion. Thank you!

It's important to be mindful that ChatGPT and similar tools are nothing but a more advanced version of predictive text. It's not the silver bullet many seem to think it is. I also think using generative AI to write chunks of your application is incompatible with applying for a career where you're expected to be highly articulate and draft important documents for clients who are paying millions for the pleasure.

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Hi all! I am planning to send my W&C summer vac scheme app tomorrow. I know they are rolling so should I apply? I know I have 0% chance if I don’t. I wanted to know if anyone applied close to deadline and was successful?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The use of generative AI in recruitment is a particularly hot topic amongst candidates and recruitment teams alike. What are your views on candidates using generative AI in recruitment processes? Is it cheating, or being resourceful? Does it level the playing field, or make it harder for some? There is no right or wrong answer to this question (yet!), but we are interested to hear your opinions on this topic.

How would you guys approach this question? Personally, I believe that these tools can help candidates articulate their experiences and skills more effectively, ensuring that their applications are reflective of their true capabilities and potential. Especially for individuals who may struggle with expressing themselves in writing or face barriers due to various factors such as neurodiversity, AI can level the playing field, providing an opportunity to present themselves in the best light. This doesn't necessarily equate to cheating, provided the candidates are honest about their experiences, their skills and the role AI played in their application.

I know they say there is no right or wrong answer, but I'm aware that many firms are strongly against the use of AI in this context. Given this situation, how should I approach this issue? Should I voice my true opinion, or align with the more commonly held view against AI usage in job applications?
    I also recognise that recruitment processes are designed not just to know a candidate's experiences and skills, but also test their communication skills. And AI-generated responses can obscure this quality.

@Jessica Booker , I would be interested in knowing your opinion. Thank you!
    I don’t think you are expected to take a particular position on this. It is more about how you position your thinking and evidence your analysis, rather than which side you think on.

I’d also stress it is rarely black and white - although I think it is important to state a clear opinion, rather than sitting on the fence, how AI is used is probably up for discussion in this question/answer rather than simply whether it should/shouldn’t be used.

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    I've just realised I made a mistake on one of my applications - all other applications I've completed have the duration of work experience as years/months/weeks, but this form had it the other way round and on way of my entries I've put 0 weeks, 5 months, 3 years, when it should be 3 weeks, 5 months, 0 years.

Is this worth emailing grad recruitment to correct or is it not seen as major?

Reactions: danturner and nj3352

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.