TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Is it me, or is the whole process post-app taking far longer this year?

Last year, I heard back relatively quickly after applications (whether that be a progression onto the next round or a PFO) but right now I’m still waiting to hear from HSF, Dentons, Reed Smith, Bird & Bird, Cooley, Mishcon, Linklaters, and Hogan Lovells.

I know some have heard from Bird & Bird, Mishcon, and Reed Smith, so maybe I was just late with the rolling deadlines. It’s driving me insane though.

TakeAChanceOnMe

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2023
This should mean that your interviewers will not know any information about you beyond your name.
Could you elabourate a little on how this works? In the CC AC next week, interviews will be CV blind, so the interviewing partners will only have our application answers - no other substantive information.

As a career changer, I feel like this might make me quite uncomfortable in an interview because I really don't know what to expect. I'm nothing without my work experience :)... Does it just mean when answering competency-based questions that I will need to give significantly more backstory, to take them through what is within my application but they can't see?

dms21

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2023
May I ask those who did Mills & Reeve assessment, how long did you spend on the second part of the assessment? It says that it is untimed, but given that the question is 500 words, similar to the length of an actual application question - what is a realistic amount to spend writing it?

RonRod13

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2023
Is it me, or is the whole process post-app taking far longer this year?

Last year, I heard back relatively quickly after applications (whether that be a progression onto the next round or a PFO) but right now I’m still waiting to hear from HSF, Dentons, Reed Smith, Bird & Bird, Cooley, Mishcon, Linklaters, and Hogan Lovells.

I know some have heard from Bird & Bird, Mishcon, and Reed Smith, so maybe I was just late with the rolling deadlines. It’s driving me insane though.
yeah its honestly disgusting how long it takes some firms. They really have no respect or consideration for others peoples time or emotions. They could at least send a message saying theyre still reviewing applications or something?

dms21

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2023
I did decent in the tests, got awful feedback but i haven't heard of any progression as of yet... has anyone else?
They're non-rolling if i'm not mistaken, so they might wait till everyone has completed the test (my deadline hasn't passed yet) which might be a reason why you're still waiting. All the best for your application!

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    They're non-rolling if i'm not mistaken, so they might wait till everyone has completed the test (my deadline hasn't passed yet) which might be a reason why you're still waiting. All the best for your application!
    Ahh understandable i only did my test 5 days ago so I am in no rush to hear back anyway!
    Thank you for the heads up :)

user12345law

Standard Member
    Jan 2, 2024
    Are you a penultimate year undergraduate? One of the most common reasons people will be unsuccessful is because they are not eligible for the programme.
    Can't believe I overlooked that! I applied for the VS but am in my final year of undergrad :( The TC application is still open but i'm guessing that there's nothing I can do about it now (given they only allow you to apply once per academic year)? @Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.