TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Has anyone else had silence after bird and bird application? I applied on the deadline and I am unsure if they have decided not to proceed with applications as they already had enough eligible candidates?
I’m in exactly the same position and also applied on the deadline.

Having had a look on here, it seems some people got AC invites in November, so it could well just be a case of them already filling up spaces. Would have been nice to just get a PFO if that’s the case though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Could you elabourate a little on how this works? In the CC AC next week, interviews will be CV blind, so the interviewing partners will only have our application answers - no other substantive information.

As a career changer, I feel like this might make me quite uncomfortable in an interview because I really don't know what to expect. I'm nothing without my work experience :)... Does it just mean when answering competency-based questions that I will need to give significantly more backstory, to take them through what is within my application but they can't see?
There is no need for significant backstory in competency questions whether CV blind or not. They will be far more interested in what this means for you now and your career ahead rather than the detail of what you have done in the past.

Apple

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
If anyone else can give insight that is also appreciated :)

I applied to Shearman's summer scheme, which was non-rolling, and the removed it early. They don't mention the dates it was meant to be running on their website anymore, only the summer scheme. I've emailed grad recruitment and no response. I'm presuming it is cancelled.

Should I submit the same application to the spring scheme? the deadline is soon and I'm worried I wont be considered. IDK why they have went radio silence after removing the summer scheme though, so unhelpful. @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can't believe I overlooked that! I applied for the VS but am in my final year of undergrad :( The TC application is still open but i'm guessing that there's nothing I can do about it now (given they only allow you to apply once per academic year)? @Jessica Booker
Maybe contact them and see if they can allow a second application given you were likely straight rejected for the VS?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If anyone else can give insight that is also appreciated :)

I applied to Shearman's summer scheme, which was non-rolling, and the removed it early. They don't mention the dates it was meant to be running on their website anymore, only the summer scheme. I've emailed grad recruitment and no response. I'm presuming it is cancelled.

Should I submit the same application to the spring scheme? the deadline is soon and I'm worried I wont be considered. IDK why they have went radio silence after removing the summer scheme though, so unhelpful. @Jessica Booker
They may not have the ability to update you as candidates. Mergers are complicated and approval for what you can/can’t say externally typically comes from the highest of levels. I am not surprised to hear about the radio silence at all - it is very common when mergers/acquisitions within law firms happen.

I would apply for the Spring scheme anyway - there is no harm in doing so. If I remember correctly they don’t do rolling recruitment, so it wouldn’t matter when you apply.

Apple

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
They may not have the ability to update you as candidates. Mergers are complicated and approval for what you can/can’t say externally typically comes from the highest of levels. I am not surprised to hear about the radio silence at all - it is very common when mergers/acquisitions within law firms happen.

I would apply for the Spring scheme anyway - there is no harm in doing so. If I remember correctly they don’t do rolling recruitment, so it wouldn’t matter when you apply.
Oh, I know you can only apply for a single scheme, so I was worried I might be excluded if I applied to both. I didn't think about that aspect of the merger and them not being able to update me.

Heartofglass

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2023
Could you elabourate a little on how this works? In the CC AC next week, interviews will be CV blind, so the interviewing partners will only have our application answers - no other substantive information.

As a career changer, I feel like this might make me quite uncomfortable in an interview because I really don't know what to expect. I'm nothing without my work experience :)... Does it just mean when answering competency-based questions that I will need to give significantly more backstory, to take them through what is within my application but they can't see?
No no, from my past experience at CC, it means that it will be your responsibility to introduce to the interviewer your work experience. I really like the CV blind process because you will be telling your experience for the first time, which will make it more interesting rather than them already know about it and you just repeating what they already know about you

Reactions: TakeAChanceOnMe

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.