TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

flower

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 31, 2023
    oh jeez that's impressive! got any advice for doing well?
    You probably may have heard this a lot by now, but my biggest advice is honestly just practice. In first year, I purchased a subscription on AssessmentDay which comes with like 9 different WG tests, split into all the 5 sections. This made it easier to target improvement on sections that I really struggled with. I only started to see results at the end of 2023 once I started taking practice tests seriously. Law firms will also have free WG practice tests on their website, but I prefer the ones on AssessmentDay because you can actually observe your progress and it will explain why a certain answer is right/wrong.
    They've scrapped the subscription plan I bought for a more expensive one now, but if you're interested you can check them out here: https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/watson-glaser-critical-thinking.htm

For untimed WG tests, take all the time you need, if possible. Linklaters' WG was untimed, so I took my time and read the questions over and over before choosing my answers. I also looked over all my answers at least twice before submitting. I think I took about 3 hours completing Linklaters' WG test in total. For untimed WGs, Grad Rec will typically make it clear that they won't penalise you for how long you spend on the test, so really just sit with it for however long you need to make sure you submit the very best. If you start to get tired, take a small break if you must and come back to it.

That said, I'm also Christian, so if I'm being honest, I think the main reason for my success with Linklaters WG is sheer grace from God because I failed the WG test repeatedly in first year and was rejected from Pathfinder, as well as multiple other first year schemes because of it.

Now I have to make sure I don't bomb the AC because that would be so embarrassing 🤣

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    When writing W&C's cover letter, do you think it's fine to do two longer points for "Why law?", "Why W&C", "Why me" as opposed to the standard three points?

I feel it would be far too long if I try and fit in three with the level of depth I want, or would people advise sticking with three points and just shortening my paragraphs? I know there's no "one size fits all" approach here but any advice would be appreciated!

19.mfjones

Star Member
  • Oct 16, 2023
    I feel like I've been going throught the 5 stages of grief with these applications and rn it's anger.

Why haven't I heard back from ag, reed Smith, or links if other people have?!
    If I've got a pfo why haven't they got the balls to tell me and stop this torture?

Congrats to everyone who had a success today, but sometimes a part of me feels like giving up. Didn't realise there was a rock bottom to law applications but I think I've found it

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.