TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

clo224455

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 2, 2023
    I feel like I've been going throught the 5 stages of grief with these applications and rn it's anger.

Why haven't I heard back from ag, reed Smith, or links if other people have?!
    If I've got a pfo why haven't they got the balls to tell me and stop this torture?

Congrats to everyone who had a success today, but sometimes a part of me feels like giving up. Didn't realise there was a rock bottom to law applications but I think I've found it
    Completely understand how you feel!

This is something I’m sure everyone has felt at some point. The process is so consuming, but you just have to stick with it and not give up!

Hoping you get some good news very soon :)

Heartofglass

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 7, 2023
    I feel like I've been going throught the 5 stages of grief with these applications and rn it's anger.

If I've got a pfo why haven't they got the balls to tell me and stop this torture?

Congrats to everyone who had a success today, but sometimes a part of me feels like giving up. Didn't realise there was a rock bottom to law applications but I think I've found it
    Sending warm hugs. I was feeling the same after a whole day waiting for Freshfields. It's just so hard sometimes to wake-up from a nap and your nightmare is still there. I think all we can do right now is to go outside for some oxygen to clear our mind and treat ourselves to a warm meal. All the best to us then.

Heartofglass

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 7, 2023
    I got it about 2 hours ago, judging by the limited options on the calendar I must have been one of the last - which makes sense since I had an issue with the WG and I only finished it today
    Well at least it was a closure for the rest of us. Good luck with your AC

futurelegallyblonde

Premium Member
    Nov 30, 2023
    I would always recommend to change the answer a little bit, even if it is only changing the verbs in a sentence or the order of a sentence, it will just help you create a new application without necessarily changing the content of it. However, you want to highlight different parts of yourself since your last application, so I personally feel it is important to write a new answer where you use the same experiences if you do not have new ones, touching upon new nuances or details that you did not discuss before or you only touched on briefly before. This will allow you to create a new response without necessarily having to create a new answer from scratch.
    Touching on this - does anyone know whether law firms use plagiarism checkers like turnitin?

I'm worried that if I use a similar application to last time (even with a few tweaks) it'll reflect badly (even though it's still my own work).

Reactions: axelbeugre

CallumJR

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 16, 2020

good news are usually sent on a Friday but PFOs only on Monday.

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021

I get exactly how you feel, especially when they’re rolling deadlines and you know you applied before people who have already heard back. It doesn’t seem to make sense why you applied a week before someone else, it’s probably been read, yet you haven’t had that PFO yet.

You never know, someone else could be viewing the applications who’s slower, or you’re in a “maybe” pile once they’ve shifted through apps. It’s such a tough process but until it’s a PFO, it’s not a PFO :)

addy2004

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 28, 2023
    It’s pretty upsetting about Freshfields, there’s a tiny slither of hope in the back of my mind that they haven’t released all AC dates yet and are still reviewing other candidates. I’m just finding it so draining waiting for news and trying to remain realistic. Does anyone have any advice on how to cope with failure, or how to stop obsessing every second about these applications?

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    Writing this application has been one of my favourites so far. Whether I will progress is a completely different question lol.
    lol congratulations! If you enjoy it, it will probably show in the quality of your application and you'll be much more likely to progress.
    Guess there is a type of people that fits each firm.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.