TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    Non-law applying to VSs for the first time. I've sent off 20 applications and secured 1 VS, 7 rejections so far. Have I sent off enough applications?
    Who is your VS offer from? That is good - solid TC chance there.

Apps no is hard to answer - some people have a scattergun approach and some will tailor 7/8 apps heavily for each cycle. Quality matters a lot more and you only need 1 offer. It depends on how much time you have and if you can send off substantive apps in that time to give you the best shot.

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    Can I use an example from my work experience which I wrote on my application form to answer a question that might come up during VI along the lines of ‘Describe a time when you needed to develop an unconventional approach to solve an existing problem.’ I’m worried this could lead to repetition. @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre thoughts?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Can I use an example from my work experience which I wrote on my application form to answer a question that might come up during VI along the lines of ‘Describe a time when you needed to develop an unconventional approach to solve an existing problem.’ I’m worried this could lead to repetition. @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre thoughts?
    I think you can but if you are worried about repetition, I would personally try to find another example as good as the one you are thinking of and go with that one to be safe than sorry. I struggled with finding good examples too when I was applying and I often wanted to use the same experiences as examples but trying to find new examples is great even for you as it allows to reflect on your journey and your true motivation to become a commercial solicitor. Having said that, I personally do not believe that using the same example will hinder your chances of success!

Reactions: ADKM

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Dentons rejection post app applied deadline.
    sameeee. I got to the VI last year but I applied earlier, so either I applied too late or my application wasn't the best this year (not sure how as my one last year was littered with errors and wasn't as specific). Either way we moveeeeeee

ljms

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 2, 2024
    sameeee. I got to the VI last year but I applied earlier, so either I applied too late or my application wasn't the best this year (not sure how as my one last year was littered with errors and wasn't as specific). Either way we moveeeeeee
    It's a numbers game. There's no logic to any of this. Important not to overthink it.

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    I just completed the Reed Smith assessment and got the feedback report which was better than I anticipated (I was really nervous) BUT for the first two questions in the VI my laptop was glitching. I realized it was because my laptop was full so I unplugged my laptop but I am worried that when they watch the first two back, it won't be clear enough. Shall i email recruitment or leave it and just pray for the best? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

Last edited:
    Reactions: axelbeugre

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Those that have done the Reed Smith assessment, I was wondering if you knew whether they can see your screen ie if I wanted to make notes on word, can they see them? Also if I am using my phone as a calculator is that a problem? Finally, I was trying to work out if you can go in and out of the assessment as they say it doesn't need to be done in one sitting?
    They can see you. I was using a notebook and my calculator but I would show the camera, my notebook with my calculations before I moved to the next question so they don't assume I was cheating. After you complete the first half, I think you can leave.

ljms

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 2, 2024
    I just completed the Reed Smith assessment and got the feedback report which was better than I anticipated BUT for the first two questions in the VI my laptop was glitching. I realized it was because my laptop was full so i unplugged my laptop but I am worried that when they watch the first two back, it won't be clear enough. @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
    Do you have to do the test and then go straight into the VI, or can you do them separately?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is fine - it’s fine to use the same themes from an application form and I wouldn’t expect your work experience section to detail one situation where you took an alternative approach. It could have a brief reference - but I wouldn’t expect the same level of detail compared to you explaining it in an interview.

Reactions: ADKM

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.