TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Connfc12

Jan 10, 2024
Can I just ask how you know? the email they sent said its just a research exercise and presentation, and we basically did a watson glacer test for the previous stage
"This half-day session runs virtually and involves a commercial exercise and a Watson Glaser test (an aptitude test which assesses your critical thinking ability). These exercises allow us to find out more about your communication skills, commercial understanding and problem solving ability."
Taken from their website, hope this helps👍

amy2602

Standard Member
Dec 15, 2023
Clyde & Co PFO. I was told in my rejection email to apply again in in 12 months and that it was my Cappfinity assessment that 'didn't quite hit the mark' for their benchmark.
So far all i've received is PFO's and im in my second year at uni- do we think that the lack of vacation scheme acceptances can have a bad impact on applications next year and make it harder for me to secure a training contract? I'm really starting to stress out ://///////
Does anyone also have any advice/been in a similar situation ?

NW Law

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Like notes about the firm, some bullet points for questions like why law etc

I personally wouldn't as it makes your answers seem ungenuine. If you have to read notes on why you want to work in commercial law, its less convincing then someone who can fluently express their reasons. Just my opinion

I am going to softly disagree with the above post (of course acknowledging it is just an opinion!). I will say as a caveat, I am probably slightly different due to being neurodivergent so it helps me as a prewarning! However, I have found for all my ACs - I have asked whether it would be appropriate/okay for me to bring in my CV to hand, some prompts and notes, and reference points I can use mid-interview. I have never received a negative response to that (in fact, I have had one interviewer feedback who said it seemed like I was incredibly well-prepared!). But I do think it depends. Although I have that information to hand, I may quickly take a look but I will deliver an answer that is quite coherent while building rapport with interviewers. So, I would say it is fine to do - but - only if you know you're not going to spend about 30 seconds looking at the paper before issuing a response to a question.

Good luck!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I’ve seen conflicting thoughts about this, but is it ill-advised to mention pro bono as a motivation for “why this firm?”

I’m genuinely drawn to the firm’s pro bono practice, the fact they have a pro bono secondment, and a particular initiative. It does seem like a “big” part of the firm.

However, others have said to focus more on culture and work and pro bono is a weak point because all firms offer it in some way.

It would be my last of three points so far from my main reason but would you stray from this and find alternative points?

Tagging @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre as figured you might know!
    I think it is totally fine to mention it as your last reason, I used it plenty of time myself when I was applying and it worked. For my Gibson interview, they actually were impressed by the amount of research I have done based on something I said about pro bono which is not advertised anywhere so it helped me massively. I would say it is definitely something you can mention provided it makes sense to what you want to say about the firm and you link it back to you explaining why it is important to you.

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Like notes about the firm, some bullet points for questions like why law etc
    If it helps you definitely can, I’ve seen candidates bring them in :)

And yes, you’re definitely allowed to take notes for the case study interview during your prep time - you then go into the interview with your notes and it’s advisable that you take good notes so you can present or work through the case study effectively. You’re also allowed to take notes for the written exercise if you want to structure your thoughts before writing

But for interviews like the partner interview which is more motivational/competency-based, I don’t think it’s advisable to take notes e.g. write the questions down

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    I am going to softly disagree with the above post (of course acknowledging it is just an opinion!). I will say as a caveat, I am probably slightly different due to being neurodivergent so it helps me as a prewarning! However, I have found for all my ACs - I have asked whether it would be appropriate/okay for me to bring in my CV to hand, some prompts and notes, and reference points I can use mid-interview. I have never received a negative response to that (in fact, I have had one interviewer feedback who said it seemed like I was incredibly well-prepared!). But I do think it depends. Although I have that information to hand, I may quickly take a look but I will deliver an answer that is quite coherent while building rapport with interviewers. So, I would say it is fine to do - but - only if you know you're not going to spend about 30 seconds looking at the paper before issuing a response to a question.

Good luck!
    I've never taken the initiative to ask! I think this makes sense with commercial answers particularly. If asked on the spot where I'd invest a million £ (real question btw lol) I'd want a second to think and gather my thoughts.

law2022x

Legendary Member
    Feb 21, 2022
    Clyde & Co PFO. I was told in my rejection email to apply again in in 12 months and that it was my Cappfinity assessment that 'didn't quite hit the mark' for their benchmark.
    So far all i've received is PFO's and im in my second year at uni- do we think that the lack of vacation scheme acceptances can have a bad impact on applications next year and make it harder for me to secure a training contract? I'm really starting to stress out ://///////
    Does anyone also have any advice/been in a similar situation ?
    Sorry about your situation, I know how you feel. Lots of firms do offer winter schemes with some only open to graduates or finalists so you still have a chance to get one to start immediately after graduation. But honestly lots of law students get TCs after graduation so it’s ok to do be a paralegal or something else until you get one. You will eventually get one but there is no timeline, don’t feel like you are behind, lots of trainees are in their mid to late 20s.

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
    Jan 2, 2024
    Wow congratulations!! how many AC’s have you got this cycle now? 😅
    Thank you! This is somehow number 4 and they're all taking place within one week so I'm considering having to turn 1 down to try manage which is a really privileged thing to be able to do, but also so risky as they could all go awful 🫠

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.